Thread: Schneider, Pavelec, Varlemov

MacLiii

Default Schneider, Pavelec, Varlemov

Hi Justin and the rest of the Goalie experts. I will need to make a decision by next Monday (11/1/10) on the following question.

Which one of these 3 should I drop (Schneider, Varlamov, Pavelec)?

I play in a 12 team keeper league that only allows each team to have 4 goalies on the roster, unless there is an injury. My Number one is Lundqvist and current Number 2 is Lehtonen. Since Pavelec will be coming off IR I will need to drop one of the above listed 3. My head would say that Schneider is the person to drop, but I also have a small soft spot for him as I use to be one of his goalie coaches when he was still in High School. I want to make sure I make the best decision for my team long term and not using my heart to over rule brains.

Usually the most number of goalies I keep is 3 as we are only allowed 14 keepers from season to season. We must also start at least 2 goalies each week in H2H games with no goalie playing more than 3 of the 5 games each week.

Of Course, if WAS puts Varlamov back on the IR I get a short reprieve until they are all healthy at which point I still need to drop one or try and make a trade.
    Last edited by MacLiii; October 27, 2010 at 1:57 PM.

The King of Diatribes

This one isn't too difficult. Although anything could happen in the future, you need to make the most solid decision that comes from today's scene.

Drop Varlamov.

He's expected to be back next week, but Neuvirth is getting better and better and Varlamov is, like I keep saying, all skill and no positioning. He relies way too much on reflexes and I won't be surprised if he pulls another groin or something else happens. He's starting to develop a Leclaire-like reputation. Awesome elite skills but way too energetic to economize his movements and play in an efficient manner. Basically the complete opposite of Neuvirth.

Some of you might say, well what about Pavelec? He fainted and hasn't played more than a few minutes and has some injury concerns. I actually think that experience is going to make him a much better goalie. I think a goalie learns a great deal about themselves in a situation like that (I've had a few scary incidents on the ice like that, not fainting, but a slit wrist and smashed face) and it definitely puts you through an emotional roller coaster and you come out a smarter, tougher goalie. I think Pavelec is going to be great this year, and I thought so even before he fainted. So I would personally hang on to Pavs and drop Varlamov.