Thread: Thomas or Neuvirth

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Thomas or Neuvirth

Hey guys,

Have a great dilemma. Keeper league, 12 teams. I'm trying to win a fourth consecutive title, but the competition is getting closer. Should be quite a race, so I must address any weaknesses before they became detrimental. Right now, I'm quite worried about my goaltending situation. The scoring system for goalies is pretty simple : 2 points a win, 1 point for an OT/shootout loss, 3 extra points for a blank. Only our top tender counts.

My three goaltenders : Lundqvist, Niittymaki and Neuvirth. Of course, Henrik is supposed to be the pillar, but I'm pretty concerned about his capacity to bring a lot of points home considering the Rangers' situation. I drafted Niitty before the Niemi signing : not that much of an asset now, unless he clearly takes the reins.

I really like Neuvirth, but how will the Varlamov/Neuvirth situation play out? So that brings me to this offer I received from a rebuilding team : my Neuvirth for his Tim Thomas. At first I thought it was ridiculous, but Thomas is having quite a strong start and the B's are bound to have a great season. I'm concerned, however, about the fact that Rask is waiting to take over.

Thomas or Neuvirth? Would such a swap be worth it, or should I stay put and be confident that Lundqvist will get hot/Neuvirth will be the man? To be frank, I'm quite tempted and in a one-year league I wouldn't hesitate, but the fact it is a keeper makes it harder.

However, as I said, I'm playing for another title.

Thanks for your input!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Sit tight. Thomas will regress and there is a VERY real chance that Neuvirth becomes the unquestioned #1 as early as December. Thomas has no real chance with running away with that job with Rask around.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

"Sit tight". I must say I love this first answer, and my reaction probably explains why I've been unable to pull the trigger on this deal. I have the feeling too that Neuvirth will take over. And well, that would be great to have Ovy, Backstrom, Fleischmann, Green and Neuvirth around when the Caps find their firepower back.

Neuvirth 1 Thomas 0.

Thanks NYR.

(Any hope that King Henrik will manage to find his crown?)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Caporal View Post
    (Any hope that King Henrik will manage to find his crown?)
    To a certain extent. This year's team (like last year) is f*cking garbage. He'll still be a #1 this year. Just not elite.