Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OEL... again

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Watched the Habs Coyotes game last night, to kill two birds with one stone - watch my Habs and watch OEL to see what he can do in a high profile game.

OEL looked really good. As others have posted, the way he moves the puck speaks more to a solid puckmoving vet D than a 19 year old, it's amazing - shades of Niedermayer there. He had only 1 SOG but it was a good one, moving into the high slot and firing a wrister that Price did well to deflect wide.

The only blemish is the defensive side of his game, he looks like he's still raw there and needs technical training. I'm no hockey coach, but the way he defended against that Cammy snipe on the PP in the 2nd period seemed to be off - rather than skating up a little and confronting the shooter he hung back closer to Bryz and went down on one knee to block the shot. Seems to me that elite NHL forwards will eat up those kinds of errors. Same goes for the 1st Plekanec goal, he seemed to be a little lost in front although that was a dazzling set of plays by the Habs and even the vets were flummoxed. That said, this is the normal learning curve for an NHL Dman.

He only had 1:39 of PP time and 16 mins total ice time when all was said and done, so he is losing a little steam there. Still, what I saw impressed me, he is going to be a really special player this kid.

I also read a few articles today indicating that the Bs and Coyotes may be talking trade (Chiarelli plus 3 Bruins scouts were in Montreal yesterday). One has to imagine the Bruins are looking to dump salary but also perhaps to pick up a defenseman in the wake of the Boychuck injury, maybe Morris heading back. I'm keeping an eye on this as an OEL owner, if the Coyotes trade away a vet Dman (e.g., for some scoring help upfront) that can only be a good sign for OEL's ice time for this year.

My prediction - he notches 29 points this year.
    Thanks for the post, great info. Rep for you
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    Thanks for the post, great info. Rep for you
    Thanks Sasquatch.

Another reduction in ice time last night for OEL. 16:11 TOI with about 2 mins on the PP, 4the behind Yandle, Morris and Jovo - the Coyotes were using that Yandle/Morris combo on the 1st PP unit that they were using for most of the game against the Habs. They were not successful though, 0 for 6 on the PP, so not sure Tippett will stick with that approach. Let's see what happens on the return home from this roadtrip.

OEL played well though, he was a +2 despite the 5-2 loss (Yandle and Morris were -2), but that might speak more to quality of opponents than anything. Had 1 giveaway but Yandle had 3 and Jovocop 2.

My feeling is still that injuries are probably going to end up getting OEL more ice time, and through that more points, for this year. I wouldn't wish injuries on anyone, but one has to think that older guys like Aucoin and Jovo are going to suffer injuries here and there during a long NHL season. Then next year, Jovanovski and his $6.5M per year contract are long gone and OEL and Yandle probably handle the bulk of the 1st PP unit duties with OEL getting an increased amount of ES ice time as well. Aucoin is gone after 2011/12 and then the sky's really the limit for OEL and guys like Goncharov and Gormley will start to emerge. Man, what a blueline corps the Coyotes will have in a few years!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

The Great One

You make some great points, ross. Jovo, Aucoin, and Morris are all aging bodies that will break down, and they will all be gone within 1-2 years. I could see Morris being moved sooner than later, actually. The defense definitely looks set for the future with Yandle, OEL, Goncharov, and Gormley.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default McBain, Taormina, Burns or OEL?

Hi everyone,

My monthly waiver draft is coming up, and I'm looking to drop Jamie McBain for one of Taormina, Burns or OEL (after reading your posts). Which one is best for a 1-year points format?

Thanks!
    16-Team Limited Keeper Points-Only League

F: (none yet)
    D: Burns, (Kaberle or Fowler)?
    G: Price, Ward

Banned

Gotta say, OEL was pretty invisible yesterday. Only noticed him on 1 PP where he hit the post.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by SavageGardener View Post
    Hi everyone,

My monthly waiver draft is coming up, and I'm looking to drop Jamie McBain for one of Taormina, Burns or OEL (after reading your posts). Which one is best for a 1-year points format?

Thanks!
    Burns has looked awesome in the games I've watched this year. I'd go with him. Injuries are always a concern, but maybe this is his year to be healthy. He is, in a way, the safest bet in a one-year league, despite his injury history.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Burns has looked awesome in the games I've watched this year. I'd go with him. Injuries are always a concern, but maybe this is his year to be healthy. He is, in a way, the safest bet in a one-year league, despite his injury history.
    I agree, Burns.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Rookie

Really? No love for Taormina, even though Burns is a BAB and on the 2nd MINNESOTA PP?

Dobber Sports Guru

Yes I would go with Burns as well, last game he playe almost 28 mins incl 4 on the PP, and Minny has the best PP in the league (for now) Taormina came out of nowhere so I dont trust him, I think that unless he starts producing better given his PP time that the devils will look at other options on the point.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by SavageGardener View Post
    Really? No love for Taormina, even though Burns is a BAB and on the 2nd MINNESOTA PP?
    Taormina is the new flavor of the month...he's come out of nowhere and is getting primo ice time in NJ. He had really good numbers in the AHL last year and I don't have a problem with someone gambling on him. He could be for real, but I am not comfortable recommending him at this point. He could flame out and become a nobody. I just think Burns is the safer bet.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

The Great One

I have just seen so many players like Taormina come and go...we hope they become the next Boyle or Rafalski, but usually they just end up being the next Cory Murphy or Marc-Andre Bergeron.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Rookie

@ ross, wendel, and SeaDawg... thanks gentlemen!

I have this voice in my head that keeps saying, "all you need to do is to tee up Kovalchuk... that's all you need to do..."

This just looks a bit um... unappetizing...
    PP1
    Andrew Brunette Mikko Koivu Antti Miettinen Marek Zidlicky Matt Cullen
    PP2
    Cal Clutterbuck Guillaume Latendresse Martin Havlat Brent Burns Matt Cullen

But you're all right about Taormina easily becoming fodder as soon as he has a dry spell. Jason Demers occasionally being on the Sharks' PP1, comes to mind.

Thanks again!

Dobber Sports Icon

OK, getting back to OEL.

Paul Bissonette (aka BizNasty) just tweeted that, because OEL doesn't have his cell number, he texted OEL claiming to be Nick Lidstrom. But then it seems OEL responded in Swedish or something like that. That guy's tweets are hilarious.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    OK, getting back to OEL.

Paul Bissonette (aka BizNasty) just tweeted that, because OEL doesn't have his cell number, he texted OEL claiming to be Nick Lidstrom. But then it seems OEL responded in Swedish or something like that. That guy's tweets are hilarious.
    yeah he is hilarious did you see the one about him skating at the joe??

"Just left "the joe". Tough skate today. I looked like datsyuk out there today. Minus the awesome hands, great shot, speed, and hockey sense."

Bahaha he kills me .... hes pu up some other stuff about the lidstrom text, just classic!!

Dobber Sports Ace

TOI against the red wings, 20mins exactly, with 3 on the PP and 3mins SH.

no stats except 2pims.

Still slightly regretting dropping Zidlicky for him. I knew he'd take a year to 'work things out', 'find his feet in the nhl' etc etc. But its annoying when I dont have a farm or big bench to rest him in...

just wish he'd hurry up ans start producing.

Lets see how he goes against Stammer and the lightning tomorrow
    Not THAT hairy, honest!