Thread: Varlamov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Varlamov

Does anyone know why Neuverith came in for the last minute or so in the game vs BOS last night? I think he gave up the goal to Chara too. Was Varlamov hurt again? Just seems strange that they would switch G near the end if the game being down only 3-1?

thx...not to scare anyone.

Dobber Sports Stud

Everything I've read is that Varlamov went back in after being pulled for an extra skater. The Caps had a PP so they pulled Varlamov but put him back in, which is when Chara scored. Is that not what happened?

Edit - I just looked at Yahoo's stats for last night. Looks like they made a mistake. They have Varlamov with 30 saves on 34 shots and considering Chara scored at 19:44, I doubt there's any way that Neuvirth was in. They'll have to remove that 1 min played.
    Last edited by broadwayblue94; October 22, 2010 at 8:22 AM. Reason: checked Yahoo

Dobber Sports Apprentice

But NHL.com show s the sam...Nerverith played as well. Why put a cold G in for the last few seconds? Just doesn't make sense!

Something must be wrong you would think? I hope not.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Washington had used their time out early, so to get an unofficial one they switch goalies with a couple of minutes left. It was simply a strategy game, nothing to do with the goalies. I believe Chara's goal (final minute) was an empty netter? Not 100% sure on that though.
    12 team keeper league. 8 keepers/team.
    Skater Pts: goal = 2, assist =1, +/-, PIM = .5
    Goalie Pts: win = 5, SO = 3, Sv = .1, GA = -.9

FORWARDS:
    C. Giroux, I. Kovalchuk, E. Malkin, D. Clarkson, D. Perron, J. Pominville, J. Tootoo, R. Mason, R. Nash, J. Iginla, S. Gagner, R. O'Reilly, T. Bozak
    DEFENSE:
    C. Letang, Mike Green, A. Edler, N. Kronwall, D. Engelland, K. Yandle, B. Dillon, P. Martin
    GOALIES:
    R. Miller, J. Quick J. Hiller, C. Nilstorp

Super Moderator

What happened was that with about 2:30 left to go in the game or something like that instead of calling a timeout, Boudreau did a goalie switch. It's been done before - as it's like calling a timeout w/out using it. So anyways, play went on and they pulled the goalie but the Caps got a too many men penalty when they had the extra attacker so they had to put a goalie back in and they put in Varlamov (I believe) and he gave up that last goal.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by punkasss View Post
    But NHL.com show s the sam...Nerverith played as well. Why put a cold G in for the last few seconds? Just doesn't make sense!

Something must be wrong you would think? I hope not.
    In that situation where the W is not happening anyway, I can think of a few reasons: Boudreau likes to send messages, especially when he doesn't feel like his guys are working their hardest, as seems to be the case early this season. Maybe Varly was pissed at something and Boudreau didn't like his attitude and sent him to the showers a few seconds early. Maybe he was sending a longer term message that the goalie spot is still completely up for grabs. Maybe after Neuvirth got pulled he wanted to put him back on the horse in a situation with no pressure. I wouldn't read injury into it.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Dobber Sports Initiate

ahhh, thanks for the correction on the goal Smack. I was at the computer checking stats and just listening to it, so wasn't sure how that had played out.

FORWARDS:
    C. Giroux, I. Kovalchuk, E. Malkin, D. Clarkson, D. Perron, J. Pominville, J. Tootoo, R. Mason, R. Nash, J. Iginla, S. Gagner, R. O'Reilly, T. Bozak
    DEFENSE:
    C. Letang, Mike Green, A. Edler, N. Kronwall, D. Engelland, K. Yandle, B. Dillon, P. Martin
    GOALIES:

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Hmmm. Odd. No link to confirm due to faulty memory - but as I was checking scores and reading a few forums/articles last nite, I'm sure I recall reading that Neuvirth came in and gave up the Chara goal on the only shot he faced. ??

It stuck out to me, as it had me a trifle concerned about another Varly injury since I've got him farmed and hoping to use next season.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 2Evils View Post
    Hmmm. Odd. No link to confirm due to faulty memory - but as I was checking scores and reading a few forums/articles last nite, I'm sure I recall reading that Neuvirth came in and gave up the Chara goal on the only shot he faced. ??

It stuck out to me, as it had me a trifle concerned about another Varly injury since I've got him farmed and hoping to use next season.
    That was exactly my thought...when I read this in another forum...I think CBS

Super Moderator

You guys are right, in yahoo, it did/does say that Neuvirth gave up that last goal. Unfortunately, I don't expect any better from yahoo.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

10-4 that on the Yahoo opinion !

Thanks Smack... good to know that perhaps I'm not completely out to lunch yet. Mayhaps someone who saw the game can set us straight soon !

Dobber Sports Stud

Yeppers. Did anyone see how Varlamov played? The stat line doesn't look overly impressive.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Initiate

I thought he played fairly well considering what the team was doing in front of him!
    Backstrom, another night of not showing up, Ovie, another night of trying to do it all yourself, Flash, another night of making back passes to the wrong team, Carelson, looking like the kid he is.......I think the Washington mystique is over. They are still a good team, but not going to dominate like they did before I don't think.

Varly let out too many rebounds as always, but the lose was a team lose for sure.

FORWARDS:
    DEFENSE:
    GOALIES: