Thread: Brodeur

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Brodeur

I haven't watched him this year so I'm interested in what those of you who have watched him make of his start to the season. I noticed he got bombed in the 2nd tonight. Do his struggles have something to do with his play? The play of the team in front of him? Or is the answer, as I suspect, a combination of the two?

I'm not in panic mode, but I am starting to get concerned. I knew when I drafted him, at his age, that the cliff could appear at anytime. That said I'm not about to write him off, if anything, depending on what the Dobberites say, I might even try to get him from an owner in panic mode in my other leagues.

I'm keeping the faith he'll pull it together but can't help wondering what's up right now.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Prodigy

He struggled at the beginning of the season last year as well, he pulled it together.

The Magnificent One

yeah now it seems like he has off games and then ON games. he has a shutout already so who knows. dont forget that there defense core is not the best anymore and a bunch of them are injured. when volchenkov (however you spell it) comes back in a few days brodeurs stats will improve. brodeur in my mind is still one of the best goalies playing and will show you that over the season but still he needs a defense infront of him to help him out.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Wizard

Those pesky little gremlins keep whispering in my ear about his age and it's hard not to listen when his numbers look like they do. I'm holding in the one league I have him and in the rest I'll watch and see if maybe I can grab him.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Apprentice

i acquired Brodeur last Feb and with my Brodeur-Luongo tandem I can honestly say that goaltending cost me the division, then the cup last year ...and now it feels like we've picked up right where we left off.
    i'm trying REALLY hard to believe that my tandem is elite and not an albatross, but all this damn evidence keeps getting in the way...
    CBS Sportsline H2H 14 team keeper league (keep 14)
    (G, A, Shots, Blocked Shots, PPPs, +/- (no PIMs in our league), W, Sv%, GAA)

C: Pettersson, Aho, Hischier, O’Reilly, Coyle, Novak
    W: Marner, Debrincat, Barzal,
    Kempe, Mittlestadt, Terevainen, P.Kane, Kakko
    D: Pietrangelo, Doughty, Werenski, Dunn, Provorov, York, McNabb
    G: Skinner, Vanacek, UPL

2010-11 & 2018-19 Champs

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Age + New coach - Lack of Lemaire's defensive safety net = You guys are in trouble.

This is not a bump in the road. He sucked last year in the playoffs too. We all knew age was going to catch up to him. Unfortunately for you guys, it's happened while you own him. His skills have clearly eroded. I have seen a bunch of goals that wouldn't have been goals from him in previous years. His glove hand is slow and he just doesn't look right anymore. Watching him now, it makes me wonder how much of the past few years has been his own personal skill helping him to succeed, or is it more of Lemaire's coaching that has helped stretch out his elite years? Has the regression been there, but we haven't seen it because the team was so solid defensively? Hence, hiding any warts in his game?

P.S. I know there will be a couple of people telling me that it's only a couple of games and the team will get better. However, that is competely ignoring last year's playoff stinker. He is just not the goalie you expect anymore. Still a #1 guy, but not the Marty everyone has come to know.
    Last edited by NYR9394; October 17, 2010 at 12:06 AM.