Thread: Hockey Greats and Heartbreaks

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Hockey Greats and Heartbreaks

Hey all,

I picked up this book (Hockey Greats and Heartbraks by Gare Joyce) as a christmas gift for my dad and couldn\'t resist getting into it myself.

The author lives the life of an NHL scout for an entire year, beginning with sitting in with the Columbus Blue Jackets scouting staff at the 2006 entry draft (similar to Bugg this year, maybe?). The guy is incredibly knowledgable, and gives insights into a profession that I\'m sure many of us on this site can only dream about.

Seems to me that the book is also uniquely useful from a fantasy hockey perspective, as well. You should see the mud he slings at guys like Phil Kessel, and to a lesser extent, Angelo Esposito.

I\'m not usually in the book-hawking business, but I\'d bet a lot of us on this site would get a kick out of reading this one.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

This book was also recommended by a writer on the hockey news website, Ken Campbell I believe. I ordered ot for a friend as a christmas present and also can\'t wait to read it.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

as lame as i may sound - the more we/you encourage guys to buy hockey books the more exposure hockey will get...

it\'s a good thing for the sport!

i ordered it to help support the cause
    (and am obviously also looking forward to reading it)

- -
    Stats: G A PPP SHP PIM +/- GWG FW (goalie W GAA SV% SHO)
    12Team - H2H - WEEKLY changes -
    *keeper - Hybrid 1yr/Keeper league

Dobber Sports Guru

well, just finished it tonight while watching that 9-5 slopfest in denver. love that stastny.

back to the book... in my opinion the best sports book i\'ve ever read. i loved the insider info... it destroys any of the other supposedly \"insider\" articles you can find on the net (with the exception of mr. bugg\'s \"Bryan Murray is a dick\" draft account, hah). and as an owner of Jakub Voracek in a keeper league, and as someone who has fought on these forums for him, i loved Joyce\'s insights into my favourite Moosehead\'s winger.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I might have to see if I can snag this book for Christmas. Best sports book ever is quite the review!

Dobber Sports Expert

Better than \"The Game\" by Ken Dryden?

Dobber Sports Guru

They\'re very different... Joyce\'s book at times is almost like a diary format. He hops from game to game and to different tournaments and then interviews various players, coaches, and scouts along the way.

The best part to me is the info about the prospects that he meets along the way. Esposito, Kessel, Mueller, Voracek, Turris, Aliu... they all have pretty interesting stories.