View Poll Results: In points only keeper league where PIM's and +/- count who would you prefer?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plekanic

10 62.50%
  • Filppula

3 18.75%
  • Steen

3 18.75%

Thread: Plekanic, Filppula or Steen?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Plekanic, Filppula or Steen?

In a points only keeper league who would you prefer, scoring includes PIMs and +/-

Dobber Sports Genius

Plekky gets no respect. He stumbled after the break out year, but bounced back nicely last year. He's first line, by default, in Montreal. He's not a legitimate 1st liner, but reasonably gets the overall task done. 1A Plekky, 1B Gomez. Who to focus on? One can hope for 70 points.

Steen is the best player on the list. 60 points is probably the upper limit. If some of the young Blues progress, over time, he should be pushed back to the third line. They'll contend for the cup then.

Filppula is similar to Steen. A good three zones guy. In Detroit, not much chance he gets pushed up into the top six, the same way that Steen does. It'll take some retirements, if he's ever to get the chance. He's probably been usurped by a top six puppy by then, or the Wings bring in a Kovy.

Plekky for me.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Ya, I own both Steen and Filppula, and would take Plekanec over both for sure.
    12 teams Pts only, Salary cap
    F Tavares MacKinnon Giroux Pacioretty Larkin Granlund Toffoli Aho Marchessault Weal Tuch Kempe Athanasiou
    D Hedman Barrie Klingberg
    G Talbot Bobrovsky Hellebuyck

16 teams H2H, G A +/- PIM STP GWG W SO GAA SV%
    C Crosby Barkov Larkin Dvorak
    LW Pacioretty Schwartz Bjorkstrand Roussel
    RW Pastrnak Atkinson Silfverberg
    D Subban Shattenkirk Montour Hanifin
    G Rinne Saros Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Filppula is already a second liner...
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Immortal

My order would be Plekanec, Filppula, Steen.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    Filppula is already a second liner...
    and off to a hot start.

Plekanec, to me seems like he might have the Vaclav Prospal syndrome (very productive year, followed by a horrid one), whereas I think Filppula is finally coming into his own as an offensive producer with the added responsibility
    DET has given him.

It's hard to advise not picking the player who has cracked 70 pts (Plekanec), but I think 70 pts is his roof and, IMO he will not hit his roof as consistently as Fillpula will (probably similar numbers).

I'd go with the Flipper.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

As a die-hard Detroit fan since about '93, I'd say (and have been saying for the last few years), that expecting 70 points from Filppula year in and year out is just a recipe for making yourself disappointed. He's actually very similar to Plekanec in both play style, work ethic, talent and upside. They're not elite offensive guys and they don't really like to shoot, but they take responsibility defensively, can deke pretty good and are very deft passers.

Expect 50-65 on a yearly basis from Filppula, with a career year of 70 sprinkled in there somewhere.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ace

Pleks for me, gets very little respect, but is a good hockey player who should hover around 60-70 points.

I own Flipper, and hope he finally has a breakout year, but he has to fight for what Pleks has already first line and top PP mins.

Dobber Sports Stud

Plekanec without a doubt. I don't agree with the Prospal comparison. He's only had one bad season. And even then, it was basically due to the lack of talent on his wings. Things have improved greatly with Cammy's arrival. He's good for 60-70 per year, almost guaranteed.

One can only hope Filppula gets there one day. What is it they say about a bird in the hand?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

It should be Plekanec for sure but check back on this post a the end of the season.. we might all be shocked to find out the answer was Steen. Coach loves him in St. Lou... perfect situation for him.

Plekanec...and it's really easy...

He's playing with Cammalleri on the first line

He has plenty of ice time

He's never injured

He's good for 25 goals - 40 assists

He's a good bet to have around 50 PIM

His ratio won't be an issue

He's in his prime

He's always working hard on the ice, so he won't have a down year with the talent around him.

The other two high end potential is around what Plekanec is getting NOW. So you can only hope they will become AS GOOD as Plekanec...take him!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I have to agree with the above statements. Plekanec is the best player of the three. I live in Quebec and always was and will be a Nordiques fan. Watching habs games never was my priority but now that I did the unthinkable, I watch them with more attention (I took Price in my one-year pool - didn't have the choice, he was still there in the ninth round).

All that just to say that Plekanec and Cammalleri look great together. They find themselves very easily even in the middle of heavy traffic. Plekanec is a great passer but he can also score goals rather easily. A 25-40 season is my minimal expectation for Plekanec. If Cammalleri plays 81 games, both will surpass the 70 points mark...
    14 teams Dynasty (keep 10)
    Points-only, Goalies 2W +1SO

F (12) = Kopitar, Tavares, Benn, Schwartz, Hornqvist, Thornton, Kreider, Nyquist, Perreault, Maroon, Lee, Dzingel
    D (4) = Burns, Klingberg, Carlson, Niskanen, Severson
    G (1) = Holtby, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Ace

To me the addition of an upper tier offensive talent like Camms makes Plekanec a very enticing option here. Steen is probably second my this list, but Filpulla is very close as well. I would vote for Plek just because I see him as a little bit above the other two.

Still - hard to argue with 12+ minutes of PP time. Just that if Steen keeps getting that, it is going to be bad putting up zeros for production.
    Dyn H2H (14 tm) - Start 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, Bench - 8, Farm - 20 (less than 100 GP) Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, H+B, TOI, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO

Quote Originally Posted by Enapai View Post
    To me the addition of an upper tier offensive talent like Camms makes Plekanec a very enticing option here. Steen is probably second my this list, but Filpulla is very close as well. I would vote for Plek just because I see him as a little bit above the other two.

Still - hard to argue with 12+ minutes of PP time. Just that if Steen keeps getting that, it is going to be bad putting up zeros for production.
    But the game Steen got 12 PP minutes was something else. I mean, there was so many panalties...you won't see that really often. And if he can't put points on the board, Steen won't stay on the first PP unit. Pietrangelo and Johnson, two good options, are waiting on the second unit right now.