Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - October 4

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by lektrix View Post
    I've been trying to trade Leighton, but most people seem to back out after hearing about the injury. At what point do I say "what the heck?" and just accept whatever I can? I can get Tim Thomas back, or Kari Lehtonen...they are not rated higher than Leighton but at least they are not injured yet and can still play.

I can't take Boucher because he was drafted in my league so I guess my only option is to pick up Bobrovsky. The question is....when?

1. Immediately? Drop my least valuable forward for Bob ASAP?
    2. 1-2 weeks...or until Leighton hits IR freeing up a slot?

Thanks!

edit: One more question. Would you do this trade? Leighton/Clarkson for Thomas/Backes.
    Uhh if you can get Kari Lehtonen for Michael Leighton I would make that trade at the drop of a hat. I know I said it last year, but this could be THE season for Lehts. He has been insanely good in the pre-season. Too good to pass up since Leighton is hurt.

I wouldn't wait to pick up Bobrovsky either because he may not be in the lineup in a few weeks. But if you snag him now and he plays well, he could stick for a good portion of the season. You're gambling on the positive side of things and that's always a good situation to be in. I'd grab him now. But that would depend a little bit on the forward you are dropping.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by vozzy81 View Post
    can you take a look into your goalie crystal ball and tell me what you see for boucher to start the season? realistic stats for him? thanks Justin!
    I think he is going to have a very good start. I know this isn't a commonplace response that you'll hear from most people ... but he is energized by Bobrovsky's presence in the lineup. He really likes Bob and I think a lot of his energy parlays over into Boucher's game. He's being challenged and it will push him to play at his best.

He seems healthy, he doesn't look rusty at all and so if he gets into a rhythm early I don't see why he can't play, at the most, 35-40 games and post somewhere around a 2.50 GAA and .912 save percentage with three or four shutouts. Those would be on the "good" side of things, but they are at least realistic.

Every fantasy manager must understand the importance and influence of a goalie's first couple of games. Just look at Craig Anderson last year in his first two games and the influence it had on the entire Avalanche team.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter13 View Post
    Hey Justin, just a quick one for you. Who's better short and long term between Neuverth and Bernier?
    Short term I still like Neuvirth as he has a little more experience and a better team in front of him.

Long term .... tough one but I can't go against Bernier. Just too refined at such a young age. Both are going to be amazing goalies I think for many years but Bernier's mechanics are already so refined and consistent that I see him having a bit more of an advantage of having polished numbers.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Holloman View Post
    Justin:

Thanks for all the insights. I participate in a 10 team Yahoo H2H cat includ W, L, Shots, SVs, SV%, SO, 5 team keeper (only allowed one goalie)

Currently own Lundqvist, Ward, Halak (3 goalie limit during the season). With all the Bernier hype is there any reason I should conisder switchhg out Halak or Ward for Bernier? Neuverth is also available. I personally feel I am sitting pretty but wanted to get your opinion as these three are good goalies but may have limited potential in picking up wins because of their overall teams.
    I wouldn't tinker with a strong trifecta like yours. It can be enticing to snag one of those two young studs, but they haven't really proved anything yet. As good as they are as far as potential is concerned, anything could happen.

I expect a big bounce-back and healthy season for Ward this year so you wouldn't want to mess with him and Lundqvist is always one of the top goalies to own in a one-year league. If I were you I would sit tight and roll with those three for the whole year...it's a dope trifecta!!

Dobber Sports Recruit

I'm in a one year roto league, W, GAA, SV, SA, SV%, SO, two goalie slots.

I drafted Vokoun and Price and I'm not feeling too confident. Fortunately, Boucher, Pavelec, Neuvirth, Bernier and Lindback are all available. For that matter, so are Giguere, Khabibulin and Osgood. My question is, who should I pick up and is one enough or should I get two of them. I'm leaning toward Boucher and one of the young guys. What do you think?

James

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Jimmy Red View Post
    I'm in a one year roto league, W, GAA, SV, SA, SV%, SO, two goalie slots.

I drafted Vokoun and Price and I'm not feeling too confident. Fortunately, Boucher, Pavelec, Neuvirth, Bernier and Lindback are all available. For that matter, so are Giguere, Khabibulin and Osgood. My question is, who should I pick up and is one enough or should I get two of them. I'm leaning toward Boucher and one of the young guys. What do you think?

James
    I would definitely snag Neuvirth and then Bernier. It would be tough to choose between the two of them so why not grab both if you can afford two roster spots for two more goalies those would be my two choices without a doubt!

If you can't snag either of them, go ahead and get a veteran like Boucher or Khabibulin. If I had to choose I would go with Boucher.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm in a super deep 1 yr. league where any goalie start you can get is precious,so do you see Brent Krahn or Dustin Tokarski getting any starts at all this year? Thanks.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Gripnrip13 View Post
    I'm in a super deep 1 yr. league where any goalie start you can get is precious,so do you see Brent Krahn or Dustin Tokarski getting any starts at all this year? Thanks.
    Krahn will definitely get some starts this year, but they may not come until March or April. In the past two years, the Stars have brought up their #3 goalie and given them 2-4 "exposure" games and since Raycroft and Krahn are both on two-way deals, that almost guarantees to happen again.

Tokarski's chances of playing an NHL game this year are probably around 55-60%.