Thread: Draft strategy help me please!

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Draft strategy help me please!

Hi, this saturday is my live draft! I'm looking for a draft strategy. We take 3 C, 6 W 4 D and 2 G and 4 bench players. I was wondering, if unless I get #1,#2 spot (wich I would take Ovy or Crosby) Should I go for a stud goaltender asap? Since there is no difference between RW and LW (people where whinning about that) should I just wait before stacking up on the wings?

Scoring Cats:

Goals (G) - 1
    Assists (A) - 1
    Plus/Minus (+/-) - 0.2
    Penalty Minutes (PIM) - 0.2
    Block Shots - 0.2
    Shots on goal - 0.05

Goaler :
    Wins (W) 2
    Saves (SV) .02
    Shutouts (SHO) 3

Thanks in advance!!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I would wait for a goalie. Seems people are taking Brodeur, Luongo and Miller early on, but quality goalies like Bryz, Rinne, Howard, Halak, etc are available in later rounds.
    One Year Standard H2H League
    10 teams

C: Sedin, Zetterberg, M. Richards
    LW: Morrow, Cammalleri, Kovalchuk, Huselius
    RW: Perry, Gaborik, Sharp, Antropov, Ryan
    D: Weber, Campbell, Bieksa, E.Johnson
    BN: Dumont, Havlat
    G: Brodeur, Huet

Dobber Sports Expert

Yes, I've been thinking about grabbing goalie who sould win alot of games since this is not a keeper. So I think a guy like Turco could be a middle round steal if he gets a big workload in Chicago. Same goes for Horward..But I will try to avoid teams with a balance in nets like Tampa or Washington unless I could scooped both goalies

Dobber Sports Expert

Yeah I don't think goalies are all too valuable in this league. Basically you want guys that win a lot and will get the SO. So I might invest pretty highly on a Bryz or Rinne then let the rest fall into place. With no LW/RW differentiation, you can hold out on wingers...

But something you might want to be interested in might be the BS category...

Crosby would have netted you 149.7 points compared to Fisher who would have netted you 91.6 points. Similarly, Mike Green would have tallied 125.85 compared to Robidas who would net you 100.35 because of the BS.

So heading into the draft, you might want to draft specifically for BS, especially in the D department. And guys like Seidenberg, Pronger, Keith, Gilbert and Ballard could be quite valuable in terms of points scored...
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Expert

Yeah I don't think goalies are all too valuable in this league. Basically you want guys that win a lot and will get the SO. So I might invest pretty highly on a Bryz or Rinne then let the rest fall into place. With no LW/RW differentiation, you can hold out on wingers...

But something you might want to be interested in might be the BS category...

Crosby would have netted you 149.7 points compared to Fisher who would have netted you 91.6 points. Similarly, Mike Green would have tallied 125.85 compared to Robidas who would net you 100.35 because of the BS.

So heading into the draft, you might want to draft specifically for BS, especially in the D department. And guys like Seidenberg, Pronger, Keith, Gilbert and Ballard could be quite valuable in terms of points scored...

Banned

we score Blocked Shots the same in my league so its definitely something you want to target with your defensemen (some forwards too can help too but dmen are where the pts are at)...look for guys who are balanced and play a good 2 way game (Pronger is agreat choice for example, lotsa pts, lotsa BS). I'd probably wait on a goalie till 2nd round and grab the best available

Dobber Sports Expert

Thanks for the answers!

But I guess if I draft in the middle of the 1st round, it could be a good idea to grab on to a Luongo since he will probably have alot of wins this season and I'm pretty sure he won't be picked early , the guy in my pool are usually not fast on drafting tenders.

But if he gets taken, could a guy like Turco be a middle-to-late round steal? He will probably stack up wins in Chicago and he's quite under the radar since he's coming back from disapointing seasons

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I recommend doing a couple Yahoo mock drafts if you got time. I find they give a pretty good idea of when players will go off the board.

Dobber Sports Expert

I forgot to mention it's a 12 team draft. So If i'm looking at drafting these players execpt Pronger and Keith who will go early, you're basically saying I should wait before drafting my D?

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Gotlaid View Post

I forgot to mention it's a 12 team draft. So If i'm looking at drafting these players execpt Pronger and Keith who will go early, you're basically saying I should wait before drafting my D?

Dobber Sports Expert

Well I dunno from your settings because there isn't a major emphasis on peripheral stuff like SOG and PPP that type of thing, there isn't a major difference between a 35 point dman and a 45 point dman... It seems BS can play a major role in this because you can get a 200 BS dman who scores 10 points, and gets quite a few PIMs could offset a Dman that scores 50 points...

Like McGoo said, you kinda want guys who will do both cause those guys will be crazy valuable... Pronger would have tallied 121.75 points last season. Which is like 30 points off Crosby.

So in a way, you probably want guys like Pronger, Keith, Green fairly early... but there's a lot of late options who will be just as good as as the mid ranged 45-50 point D that don't block shots...