Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dobber's Entry League, Patrick's Division

Dobber Sports Padawan

OK so here's my breakdown. Twins were getting fussy last night so couldn't post it.

My theory going into the draft was this. 3 of 9 categories are based off of your 2 playing goaltenders. With that kind of weighting to goalies they were going to be my first two picks.

I knew the number 1 guy i wanted was luongo. After that though it was a toss up between Marty B, Lundy, and Miller.

Round 1. My resolve is sorely put to the test here. Backstrom is here. He's my personal choice at Art Ross this year. Ok no i hold off. Now which of the three goalies.

I choose Marty. Miller has had 1 dominant year so i'm not sold. I also think Marty's team wins the most games.

Right after i choose Marty Trial and Error who seems to have my draft strategy pasted to his screen to laugh at me takes Miller.

Round 2. See above. Trial and error takes the Bryzgalov who i was debating on with Howard.

Ok Howard it is.

Round 3. Started out bad early when my hopeful pick of Getzlaf is snagged early. But i pull out ok taking Ryan. I see 75-80 for him with good pm's. Can't argue.

Round 4.

T+E picks up the Kopitar i had hopes of getting on the back side. This is a common refrain for me through the draft.

I take my choice of the best D man left in Boyle. Surprisingly he had some pm's too. So i had him quite high on the list.

Round 5.

I had hoped to snag Varlamov here. That was my plan from the start. Dominate those 3 cat's and deal from a position of strength to help my team. Nope. Those damn gunners took him on the way down. That's ok i have Carter and Richards from phili tagged to be my picks on the way up. Nope. Damn.

I take the pick that makes the most sense at the time. Zajac. He'll improve this year well if that line stays together. He'll see lots of pp time. He'll get a big plus.

Round 6.

I love this pick. Brad Richards in the 6th round. Now i just hope he's at least a middle ground between his 90+ point effort last year and his 70's previous. Still cant argue with him here.

Round 7.

The minute i put Richards in last round i queue up Mr Pavelski. Surprisingly he last too me. His dual eligibility + his hot playoffs + the fact that he was on pace for over 60 last year if he'd played a full sched makes him my guy. Love this pick.

Round 8.

I see some chancy players go and decide its time for me to start living by my team name. I take the first of many reclamation picks.

Zherdev. Tons of talent around him and he's one on his own. Hoping for 70+.

Round 9

Starts bad. I've had Olli J tagged since round one to draft. I think i value him higher than most i should get him. Round 9 is going to be my round. BURNED. Damn you gunners. Damn you.

Leaf fan here. No doubt about it. And Kaberle's dropped to round 9? How can i not. Man's been a 60 pt d before. A horrible last year for him was 49. Scooped.

Round 10.

Reclamation again. Calling Mr. Tanguay. Come on Down.

Round 11.

2 reclamation in 3 picks time for a nice safe 60 point 30 goal man. Mr Samuallson.

As long as Burrows is out he's the man with the twins.

Round 12.

My other pools are heavily Detroit focused. So i'm perusing the d lists and i see Kronwall there. Sure he's bandaid but i'm not really afraid of that. He's also skating with Lid.

Scooped.

Round 13.

Reclamation pick again. Swing for the fences Todd. I take Leclaire. Boom or bust pick up but thats the kind of boom that wins a pool.

Round 14

My hopes were once again dashed by Mr T + E as he takes Carlson right before my pickup. Dammit. Scrambling.

Prospal.

Meh.

Round 15.

Ok at this point i NEED some forwards. Going back to my Detroit hopes i pin them here on Filppula. Here's hoping he gets some good second pp time and clicks with his wingers.

Round 16.

Ok Put Frolik in the que. Ok he's going to make it. Ugg. T + E to the rescue again. Umm.

I take Carle. He'll get some decent points and a good +.

Grr i wanted Frolik.

Round 17.

Hopes here got dashed after my pick in 16. I was going to take Kovalev. But no. Gunners again.

I settle here for the guy with the best shot imo left in Stempiniak. Happy enough.

Round 18.

Pickings are getting slimmer. Time for another Reclamation.

I take Patty O'Sullivan on the strength of his talent and Pre-Season. I actually bought this guy in all my pools right after he was bought out.

Now lets hope he gets that precious left wing eligibility i so desire.

Round 19.

Time to start filling in my dcore with the unwanted.

Wideman first. He's got the most upside.

Round 20

Carlo Coliacovo.

I'll enjoy the 40 games i get from him. And i'll waiver the rest.

Round 21

Things are just odd for me here. No real direction. So in these cases i tend to swing for the fences.

I do that with Stepan.

Here's hoping.

Round 22

I look around at RW and see that Dumont is here.

In my mind Dumont's a 60 pt winger pretty well every year. But it seems his injury last year has devalued him.

Ok i'm in.

Round 23

Another Reclamation project. I own him in all my pools too.

My backup Dman. Randy Jones.

If i'm lucky his and Carlo's injury's will cancel each other out.

Round 24

Personal Fav here. I really like Scott Parse.

And so i take him.

Round 25.

Final pick.

I'd lost the Bozak i really had wanted eon's ago it seems. But Grabovski is still there. With a good bounce back he could be 50 pts. I'm thinking a 50 pt player in round 25 isnt so bad.

And the draft is over.

As I said i'm content. Some guys i thought would fall and i could sneak away with them. Zetterburg for 1 is a guy i really had thought would make it. Getzlaf and Jokinen as well.

All in all though i feel i'm competitive. Now to earn it with trades.

G'luck all.
    Pool A
    G, A, +/-, PM, PPG, SHG W L T SO SV% GAA
    Cap 80,375,000
    Center: Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, Spezza
    Wing: Ovechkin, Hall, Kessell, Nash, Voracek, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Schwartz
    Defence: Karlsson, Goligoski, Schultz, Barrie, Gardiner, Smith
    Goalie : Lundqvist, Dubnyk, Lehner
    Farm: Monohan, Bjugstad, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Killorn, Rattie

Pool B
    G, A, PTS, +/-, Hits, GWG W SO GAA SV%
    Cap 80,375,000
    F: Ovechkin, Kessell, Lupol, Backstrom, Giroux, Stepan, JvR, Forsburg, Landeskog, Etem, Eakin, Saad
    D: Green, Letand, Staal, McDonaugh, Faulk, Barrie
    G: Lundqvist, Halak
    Bench: Lecavalier, Grabovski
    Farm: Shinkaruk, Lindholm, Larsson, Gardiner, Visetin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Steamers here. With the exception of a pick here and there I really like my team.

ROUND 1
    I entered the draft with the attitude that I wanted one of the quality LWers as my first pick. I had 8th pick so I was holding out that Parise would fall to me. Parise was snagged by Team St. Hillaire with the #4 pick. Now I was sweating it out because I valued Daniel Sedin more than Heatley and Kovalchuk despite their dual wing status. PHEWWWW! Sedin makes it to me and I happily grab him with my first pick. Kovalchuk and Heatley go later in the first round.

ROUND 2
    I like to leave myself open here and get a feel for what the others are doing. I may grab another top-end forward with my second pick or I may have to grab a goalie depending on what happens. The only thing I'm certain of is that I'm not taking a d-man with my 2nd pick.

Luongo, Brodeur, Miller and Lundqvist all went in the first round. Rinne, Halak, Bryzgalov, Howard and Rask are all chosen before me in the second round. I NEED to draft a goalie and I need to do it now. I spend a second considering Kiprusoff before taking Fleury. I don't think Fleury has ever had a defense as good as he'll have this season. I'm happy with this pick. Anderson, Turco and Kipper go behind me in the second round. What a run of goalies...people without one must be slightly worried.

ROUND 3
    My strategy is still open. Still not considering a d-man. I loved seeing Phaneuf taken with the first pick in the third round. Leafs fan probably. Centremen start flying out of my queue...Getzlaf, Marleau (dual eligibility), Toews, Thornton...still enough quality forwards to get back to me in round 4 so I grab a second goalie. I snag Vokoun. What he lacks in wins, he'll make up for in Saves and his GAA will be decent. Ehrhoff goes after me in the third round...love it! It means a quality forward is closer to reaching me in the fourth.

ROUND 4
    Goalies are being picked here and there. I'm not sure if it's guys grabbing their second one like I did or if they're grabbing their first. I don't really care as I'm after a FWD. Zetterberg, Spezza and Kopitar go. I grab Lecavalier. I'm happy with that! Five more goalies and an Iginla are taken to finish the 4th round.

ROUND 5
    Team Postanen grabs another D-man first in the 5th. He's the same GM who took Phaneuf earlier. He loves his d-men and I love him for it! Then Downie goes...would've loved to have him but this is too early. Carter, Markov (?), Leighton and Vanek go before me. I have a guy in queue who I really can't believe is still there. I do a quick Google search to see if his leg fell off last night and everything seems good. I grab Mike Richards and thank everyone for the gift. Thinks are all over the board with everyone now...FWDs are flying and D-men are flying. Goalies seem to be done for awhile now.

ROUND 6
    Still some quality FWDs available and I'm looking for a multi-cat guy here. I find him when I land Chris Stewart. He'll get me goals, assists, PIMs and shots for sure. Wingers finish out the 6th round.

ROUND 7
    I'm thinking about a D here and I have my guy in queue but I have a feeling he won't last. I quickly check the rosters of the teams picking ahead of me and see that a few of them will likely be targeting a D here. I'm sweating again...not as bad as the Sedin sweat, but close. Only Erik Johnson and Brian Rafalski are taken...I get Tyler Myers. I'm loving my team so far. I'm immediately considering another multi-cat guy. I have a few in my queue.

ROUND 8
    5 wingers, Matt Duchene and (poor Poolster couldn't log in) Mark Streit go ahead of me. I'm thinking the guy I want here would probably last until the next round but I'm not certain and I really want this guy. I grab Lucic. Mish mash...including Eberle and Ennis finish out the round.

ROUND 9
    I have some forwards in my queue but I'm thinking I need to grab another D. We need at least 6 of them and I still only have Myers. Plenty of quality FWDS left...grab a D. Edler and Del Zotto fly out of my queue. I grab Brian Campbell. I liked him more than my other options...Kaberle, Goligoski, Enstrom, Giordano, etc...Goalies are still going here and there.

ROUND 10
    I want a right winger here. I have 2 C, 2 LW but only 1 RW at this point. I strongly consider Dustin Brown but pull the trigger on Setoguchi. I think the Sharks need him this season and will put him on Thornton's line. Four more goalies taken.

ROUND 11
    I'm flexible here. It's either gonna be a F or D here. Not sure. Subban is in my queue.
    Only D to go before me is Robidas. I decide to grab a forward. I choose Scott Gomez...I need his assists! Then Bogosian, Subban, J Johnson and Andy Greene are taken. DAMN! I should have grabbed Subban. Oh well! On we go...

ROUND 12
    More D are taken...Pitkanen, Suter, Kronwall... I decide that I'm taking another forward here. I grab a player I feel is being underated...I take Bryan Little. I think he returns to 30 goal mark this season. McBain and Ryan Whitney finish out the round.

ROUND 13
    I'm thinking I definitely need another D here. Ian White, Timmonen and Letang are chosen ahead of me. I roll the dice with Victor Hedman. Foster, Kubina and Bouwmeester gone now!

To be continued...
    Last edited by digitalmonkey; September 28, 2010 at 1:49 PM.
    My pool
    Goals = 1 point, Assists = 1/2 point, Goals Against = -1/2 point

Fowards: S. Stamkos, J. Neal, M. Moulson, M. Read, N. Foligno, B. Wheeler, L. Stempniak, J. Pavelski, B. Flynn, S. Bernier

D-men: S. Weber, PK Subban, D. Phaneuf, J. Carlson, TJ Brodie, B. Smith, M. Irwin, B. Dillon, K. Cumiskey,

Goalies: Nashville, Chicago, St. Louis

Farm: T. Rattie, R. Johansen, A. Killorn, J. Zucker, J. Akeson, M. Sgarbossa, A. Yogan, M. St. Croix, M. Friberg, E. Gelinas, A. Ness, J. Muzzin, MA Bourdon, S. Harrington, R. Smith, C. Emmerton, M. Mayorov, I. Makarov, P. Maroon

Dobber Sports Initiate

Hey guys,

My draft strategy was to nab two Tier 1 goalies with my first 2 picks and then after that to fly by the seat of my pants

This is the biggest live draft I have participated in. All my other yearly drafts have been 12 teams/15 or so players.

I am happy with my team but now I am even more happy knowing that at least 5 of my players were targeted by leaftodd (after reading your breakdown, it would appear that I did have your draft strategy pasted on my screen!)

I'm looking forward to the battle fellow Dobberites and if I finish in the top 5 I will consider it a huge success.

Cheers all and good luck.

sixhands aka Trial and Error
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Dobber Sports Rookie

Here's an overview of the Gunners draft... I didn't take notes, so I just typed out thoughts I had during the rounds.

I knew going in that 2 of my first 4 picks had to be goalies. We have 3 goalie cats and 6 skater cats, with 18 skater positions and 2 goalies. 2 positions determine 33%. Drafting 2 quality goalies was key. I has the fifth pick so I was set on Luongo.

Rd. 1 - Got Luongo
    Rd. 2 - a few picks before me and there's still Keith and Doughty available.. Doughty got picked right before me, so went with Keith. I was very happy to get him
    Rd. 3 - Need a forward or another starting goalie. Hard to pass up Thornton
    Rd. 4 - absolutely have to grab my second goalie, options of Price/Backstrom/Varlamov.. Goalie stats are Wins, GAA and Saves. Was thinking Backstrom might be the better choice (Clear #1 G and should have more saves and comparable GAA) but went with Varlamov for the wins and way better team
    Rd. 5 - Got my goalies now, need to fill out my wingers. Drafted Vanek, best of the LW'ers remaining
    Rd. 6 - Picked Horton as my first RW.
    Rd. 7 - Still focused on wingers, grabbed Raymond was pretty happy to get him.
    Rd. 8 - We have 6 D positions to fill, they were under-drafted at the start but had a feeling the quality would get picked through soon. Picked up Yandle as my #2
    Rd. 9 - Not many quality centers on the board, went with Olli Jokinen (one of the only clear #1's remaining)
    Rd. 10 - I was hoping to get a RW like Simmonds as my #2 but he was picked earlier in rd 10. Picked Voracek, hoping for a break-out year
    Rd. 11 - Focusing on quality D, picked up Robidas
    Rd. 12 - Felt like a lot of wingers are being drafted, got Knuble while I could
    Rd. 13 - Back to D-men and grabbed Timonen, I feel like I got 4 pretty good D now (Keith, Yandle, Robidas, Timonen) so i planned on backing off my final 2 until later in the draft
    Rd. 14 - Most top end multi-cat wingers were drafted early, need some PIMs and drafted Avery
    Rd. 15 - Getting to the point were all forwards are in the 45-55 point range... starting to look for break-out players and drafted Steen as my third C
    Rd. 16 - Alex Kovalev was still on the board and couldn't pass him up... could have a big year, even tho I wanted my third goalie in this round.
    Rd. 17 - Poolster still hasn't auto-drafted a goalie, felt bad taking my third but wanted to grab a goalie that could start 30+ games. Went with Giguere
    Rd. 18 - Done with G and RW... need another C or LW. Picked Jarret Stoll, expecting him to have a decent year. My 4th Center
    Rd. 19 - Surprised to see JVR available this late. Grabbed him as my 4th LW.
    Rd. 20 - All starting forward positions are full and have 4 of 6 D picked. Looking for D that could get some PP time. Picked Henrik Tallinder
    Rd. 21 - Filled my D Hamrlik (hopefully he'll get some 2nd PP time for montreal)
    Rd. 22 - All positions filled, strictly looking for players that could have a strong start. Went for Peverley. Didn't think he'd be on the board but very happy with him as my #5 C
    Rd. 23 - Picked up Pouliot as my #5 LW, could be a surprise pick if he starts well
    Rd. 24 - Really wanted to draft Parse, but he was picked by LeafTodd (Payback from earlier rounds) so I grabbed Mikael Backlund, didn't really want 2 Flames but he will be given lots of opportunities this year.
    Rd. 25 - Picked Glencross.. really didn't want 3 flames so will probably drop him, couldn't find a RW I wanted... had thought about Kostopoulos

Overall, I'm happy with my team.. I got 2 good goalies, a solid top 4 D and solid starting forwards that should play top minutes. Depth on wing could be an issue tho.
    12 team H2H (Keep 12):3C,3LW,3RW,2U,5D,2G
    F/D stats : G,A,P,PPP,PIM,+/-,SOG,FW
    G stats : W,GAA,save %,SO (Min. 3 starts)

C- M. Savard, S. Gagner, A. Vermette, T. Connolly, A. Steen, J. Arnott
    RW- J. Iginla, K. Okposo, S. Downie, J. Williams, T. Brouwer
    LW- E. Kane, J. Neal, D. Booth, A. Kostitsyn, D. Carcillo
    D- B. Campbell, A. Goligoski, K.Yandle, M. Del Zotto, D. Wideman
    G- J. Quick, M. Turco, A. Niittymaki, P. Leclaire

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

To those that have picked up FA's, Our commish specifically noted to not do so while they were tinkering with the settings.

We all received the same memo.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by kluu View Post
    By the way, how does the waiver budget stuff work?
    The waiver system will be run outside of Yahoo

Details will be coming out very soon about the bidding system.

In a nut shell there will be a website you will visit that you can enter your bids, those bids will get sent to the person in charge of the bids for your league. Bids are due tuesday by noon est if i am not mistaken, and by wednesday evening the results are released and you can make your pick up by the Thursday night deadline to submit your weekly roster.
    You get $100 to spend for the year.