Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mikael Granlund - incredibly underrated.

Dobber Sports Star

Default Mikael Granlund - incredibly underrated.

Ok, so now that I've picked him up in one league and the other draft won't be for a while, I'll pipe up.

The player that is very underrated in terms of ability and upside is Mikael Granlund. Perhaps it's because he's on the Minnesota Wild, and they're generally regarded as having a very poor development system. Perhaps it's because he's from Finland? Perhaps it's because our man Dobber lists his upside as somewhere less than 80 in his fantasy guide. Who knows! Here is a bit of discussion on why you should have your eyes on Mikael Granlund:

One of the knocks on Granlund is that he's small (5'10", 175 lbs). Yes, that's on the small side, but it's not a big deal. The argument goes that since he's a small European, he's going to get the crap beat out of him when he starts playing in the NHL.

Granlund played a complete year of hockey in the SM-liiga (the Finnish men's league) as an 18-year old. That's a big feather in his cap, because to play and stick in a men's league as a teenager is no small feat: your competition is all physically mature, while you're still growing into your frame.

So we know he can play against bigger and stronger men, but that doesn't really address the perception that because he's a soft european, he won't be ready for the physical rigours of the NHL. That perception is complete and utter crap. If you want to make that argument about Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovakia... well, go right ahead. Not Finland, though. In the SM-liiga, unlike the rest of Europe, they play on rinks that are smaller than those found in the NHL. This means less space, and more hitting. Why do you think that Finns do so well in checking roles and in international tournaments that are run on north american sized ice surfaces?

Right, so he's played as a teenager against men in one of the most physical leagues out there. How did he perform compared to other NHLers from Finland?

Mikael Granlund (18 years): 49 GP (inc. playoffs), 14 G, 46 P. That's 0.3 G/GP and 0.9 P/GP
    Teemu Selanne: never played in the SM-liiga at the age of 18.
    Mikko Koivu: never played in the SM-liiga at the age of 18.
    Saku Koivu (18 years): 46 GP, 3 G, 10 P. That's 0.1 G/GP and 0.2 P/GP
    Olli Jokinen (18 years): 50 GP (inc. playoffs), 14 G, 41 P. That's 0.3 G/GP, 0.8 P/GP.

Olli came close to equaling Granlund's output, but isn't quite there. How did they do in their 19-year-old season?

Selanne: 11 GP, 4 G, 12 P. That's 0.4 G/GP and 1.1 P/GP
    M Koivu: 56 GP, 4 G, 10 P. That's 0.1 G/GP and 0.2 P/GP
    S Koivu: 58 GP, 27 G, 65 P. That's 0.5 G/GP and 1.1 P/GP
    Jokinen: 39 GP, 18 G, 48 P. That's 0.5 G/GP and 1.2 P/GP

So far this year in the SM-liiga (and it's only been one game), Granlund has 2 goals and an assist.

I know I'll be watching Granlund extremely closely this year, because so far, he's ahead of the curve and the best Finnish player (in terms of statistical accomplishment) since Jarri Kurri.

Hope this helps.

HPG

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for this HPG. I wish I could do these kinds of post...

When do you see him in the NHL full time? What upside do you have for him?

Hope He's still available at 12 when I pick...

Dobber Sports Genius

I've noticed he has been slipping quite a bit in prospect drafts, I just grabbed him in the #16 spot yesterday in one of my dynasty leagues.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Star

I believe he's under contract in Finland for another year, then I'd expect him to be over. I'd expect him to be reasonably ready to step into the NHL.

His hype will definitely pick up if he participates in the WJC this year, too.

Upside? Well, I don't want to get you too excited, but if the stars align I think he could be a 40-70-110 player. I don't throw those numbers around lightly, either -- but playing (and dominating) a men's league, as a teenager, is very tough to do.

Dobber Sports Genius

Spot on HPG (more rep, lol).
    I got severly roasted by other GM,s in my league for drafting him 6th, ahead of playes like Johansen, Connolly, Taresnko and Fowler.

Dobber Sports Genius

That certainly assists in some background & interesting comparisons. Thanks!

The Great One

I've watched Granlund play live on a couple of occasions, and I've watched him on TV a few times. He always impressed me with his keen hockey sense and drive. He doesn't play small, even if he is small. He isn't afraid to drive to the net and fight for the puck in the corners. His vision is unreal (his best asset) and he has a decent shot, decent speed, and awesome stick-handling ability. I think he could be something special in the NHL someday, but it might take him a while to develop. I don't know if 110 pts is his upside. I'd say it is in between what Dobber (78) and HPG (110) are saying. Maybe 85-90? But I wouldn't underestimate him. I grabbed him very early in one of my leagues and would have grabbed him in my other two, but he went quite early.

I would have preferred him being drafted by a team other than Minnesota, but Koivu will be a great influence on him and sometimes if you are the top offensive talent on an average team, you can have better numbers than being one of many offensive players on a great team (i.e., Giroux in Philly).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Guru

Great Post HPG!! thanks .... i have watched some clips of this kid on youtube and one game and he has some amazing skills, great wrist shot slick passing very good skater and great hands, he could be something special and the fact that he was drafted by Minny means he will get a shot sooner rather than later.

Dobber Sports Pro

I have been sold for a while now and I expect to draft him in my league tonight. I have watched so many Granlund videos on youtube over the past several months that I can almost speak Finnish now. Dude is pretty amazing producing in the Elite League at such a young age. I have room to stash him and get ready for his eventual trip accross the pond to wow the fans in Minny.
    6Team/Points Only H2H Keep: 37+3goalies Start: 13F/6D/2G
    FWD = G(2), A(1), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    DEF = G(3), A(2), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    GOAL = W(3), OTL(1), SO(+2), SV(.10)

FOR: Malkin Ovechkin Kessel Stepan Gaborik Zetterberg Carter Vanek Pacioretty Duchene Skinner Lupul Hornqvist Perron Semin Okposo Byfuglien Granlund Bennett Strome Bjugstad Nichushkin Yakupov Galchenyuk Grigorenko Kuznetsov Kucherov Etem Burakovsky
    D: Letang Goligoski Kronwall Voynov JustinSchultz Hedman RyanMurphy AdamLarsson Pulock Sproul
    G: Lundqvist Lehtonen Schneider

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I had Granlund pegged as my number 5 forward behind Hall, Seguin, Skinner and Nino going into the Comish's Dynasty Draft and I was lucky to grab Skinner at 6th (traded up for him) and Granlund in the early teens.

I love this kids make up and he will be a very productive NHLer. Thanks for bringing this up HPG
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; September 17, 2010 at 11:27 AM.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    I had Granlund pegged as my number 5 forward behind Hall, Seguin, Skinner and Nino...
    I had it:

Hall
    Seguin
    Tarasenko
    Granlund
    Skinner

I got #3, 4, and 5 with picks 6, 7, and 8 in one of my leagues. Couldn't be happier about that.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    I had Granlund pegged as my number 5 forward behind Hall, Seguin, Skinner and Nino going into the Comish's Dynasty Draft and I was lucky to grab Skinner at 6th (traded up for him) and Granlund in the early teens.

I love this kids make up and he will be a very productive NHLer. Thanks for bringing this up HPG
    Yeah, I almost picked Granlund instead of Connolly. You definitely have one of the steals (probably the #1) of the draft with Granlund at 25th.

Dobber Sports Pro

How can Granlund be underrated? At best he will be a 20-60 guy with no PIM. Even Koivu didnt get that. Assist heavy players dont have much value in my pool. I suspect most roto style pools are the same.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
    How can Granlund be underrated? At best he will be a 20-60 guy with no PIM. Even Koivu didnt get that. Assist heavy players dont have much value in my pool. I suspect most roto style pools are the same.
    LOL. Can I be in your league?
    6Team/Points Only H2H Keep: 37+3goalies Start: 13F/6D/2G
    FWD = G(2), A(1), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    DEF = G(3), A(2), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    GOAL = W(3), OTL(1), SO(+2), SV(.10)

FOR: Malkin Ovechkin Kessel Stepan Gaborik Zetterberg Carter Vanek Pacioretty Duchene Skinner Lupul Hornqvist Perron Semin Okposo Byfuglien Granlund Bennett Strome Bjugstad Nichushkin Yakupov Galchenyuk Grigorenko Kuznetsov Kucherov Etem Burakovsky
    D: Letang Goligoski Kronwall Voynov JustinSchultz Hedman RyanMurphy AdamLarsson Pulock Sproul
    G: Lundqvist Lehtonen Schneider

Dobber Sports Star

I'd say Granlund is underrated, because in terms of pure scoring skills against statistical peers, he's up there with Hall, Tarasenko, and Seguin from this year's draft class yet he's never mentioned in the same breath.

Quote Originally Posted by DuklaNation
    At best he will be a 20-60 guy with no PIM. Even Koivu didnt get that. Assist heavy players dont have much value in my pool. I suspect most roto style pools are the same.
    Obviously you need to interpret the information to meet your league setup. There are lots of folks in points only and fantasy points setups where PIM don't factor into things much and assist-heavy players are damn valuable!

He'll definitely be Lady Byng -type player in the PIM department, but how do you justify calling him at best a 20-60 guy when his best statistical peer is Olli Jokinen, who put up an average of 38-52-90 for two years? The knock on Olli was always that he was lazy, and the word about Granlund is exactly the opposite. Just curious more than anything else; your input is always good.
    Last edited by fantasyhockeygeek; September 17, 2010 at 11:58 AM.