Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Crosby Traded, How Did I Do?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Kickerz View Post
    If I was trading away Hossa, there is no way I would accept Jamie Benn and a bunch of "Filatov" like prospects for him. At the very least I would expect a replacement, a "Hemsky" type of player, and than extras to make it worth my while. If you were in a rebuild, than I would ask for a "Giroux" and than a draft pick as well.
    I feel like this guy has never done a rebuild before. If you're REBUILDING... Jamie Benn and a "bunch of Filatovs" is worth so much more than Hossa it's not even funny.

To think you'd get Hemsky, Giroux and a draft pick for Hossa is laughable. If guys in your league give you that kind of value for Hossa, I want in. Hemsky is better than Hossa easily, and Giroux could be better by the end of this year.

If I was rebuilding and I was trading Hossa, I think Benn, Filatov, and a high end prospects draft pick (ie top 10 of this year) would be pretty fair.

Dobber Sports Ace

Hemsky has had one good year where he put up over 75 points. 1 year. He has never hit a PPG. Hemsky has missed 96 games over the last four years. Hossa has also missed time over the last four years. Hossa has missed 43 games in the last 4 years. Hossa has scored 288 points in the last 4 years. Avg = 72. Hemsky has put up 212 points over the last 4 years. AVG = 53.

You tell me who you would rather have.

As for a rebuild. Rebuilding with prospects alone will leave you long in the tooth before you can ever compete again. A rebuild simply means trading producing players for younger players. Nothing about it says you have to trade for "Maybes".

And just for interest sake...According to Dobbers guide to the top 300 in a Keeper league, we find St. Louis as the #21 guy. Giroux is found somewhere in the 52, Benn is #133, Filatov is #147.

So take a look. Are you really going to trade the 21st most valuable player for the three to four guys in the #130 to #150 range? I know I sure would not. However, you get a #52 in there, and than add prospects (notice how I have some proven youth in that deal with giroux and the prospects are just the equalizer) it makes much more worth your while. Rebuilding does not mean selling low on production. People will always pay more for production now,than they will for possible production down the road.
    2010-2011 Team Try Hard League Champion
    2009-2010 Dobber Pirate League Champion
    2009-2010 Dobber Elite League Champion

I'm the best! Dutch is the Worst.

Dobber Sports Padawan

If they were only ever going to be #133 and #147 and St.Louis was going to have 10+ years of being #21 then yeah... You're absolutely right. But part of trading for "maybes" is knowing which ones are going to shoot up that ranking. In 3 years is Benn going to be a top 50 player? Could Filatov? I think both easily could be top 50 guys in 3 years. Suddenly getting 2 top 50 guys and Giroux who will almost certainly be a top 30 guy in 3 years... That is looking like a pretty sweet deal for an aging (38 year old) playmaker.

I think part of rebuilding is looking at your team, and trying to figure out a realistic date of when you think you'll be able to compete again. And base all your moves of that date. "Will this trade make me better in X number of years?"

So to me I would think "In 3 years, which side of this deal will be better? 38 year old St.Louis... Or Giroux, Benn and Filatov all of whom are just heading into their primes?" To me that is a pretty easy answer... But I guess it isn't to you because Benn is ranked #133 and Filatov is ranked #147.
    Last edited by Brady19; September 7, 2010 at 3:30 PM.

Dobber Sports Ace

Hey, if you trade for Benn and Filatov and in three years they work out...Great. But if you trade for Benn and Filatov and Filatov does as well as Zheredev and is back in the KHL and Benn turns out to be a 70 pt Centre (no gaurantee he will) than you still lose the trade terribly. Rebuilding is not about cashing in your paycheck on a bunch of scratch/win tickets or placing a few "Sure bets" with a bookie.

It is about systematically swapping production right now, for a mixture of future stocks, and emerging players. I would hardly call Filatov an emerging player. Giroux? Yeah, I would call him that. So where you might take part of your paycheck, and drop it into a steadily producing fund (mutual fund) and into a few high risk/return investments, you don't drop it all into high risk /return. You would also do the same with a player like St. Louis. That paycheck outscored all other RW last year by 6 pts. You could cash that in, trade for a reasonable investment in Giroux, (hedging your bet), and than accepting some larger risk reward parts to it such as Benn, Filatov and MPS.

The bottom line is that in any league, there are always a handful of teams in win now at all costs mode. And these guys control the market for rebuilding. Where a St. Louis could give them a cup, they can and will pay out a 60 point young player and a few prospects (Who might not break 45 points for another year or two in order to ascertain the 95 point pinnacle player at a given position.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Brady19 View Post
    I think the deal Superchief got was a heck of a lot better than what you offered for Crosby, I can see why it was rejected.

Kopitar, Markov, MPS sounds about right... And sounds somewhat comparable to what Superchief got. I'm not sure WHEN you made the trade, because obviously MPS' value has shot up lately, and Kopitar's did this last year as well.

Kopitar = Stastny + Turris
    Markov = Bryzgalov
    MPS = Tarasenko, Quincey
    It's funny you're saying this because YOU got Crosby for that awful offer.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Kickerz View Post
    What are you talking about? You appear to have randomly superimposed your value system for Bryzgalov, Stastny, Turris, Quincey, Tarasenko, and equated it into Kopitar, Markov and MPS? That is just weird, and not in any way useful.

You would also rather have Stastny, Turris, Bryzgalov Quincey & tarasenko more than Roberto Luongo, St. Louis, Alfredsson, and a 1st round pick? I cannot fathom how you will ever win a pool with thoughts like these.
    I couldn't agree more. Luongo over Bryzgalov. St. Louis and Stastny are only close because of age.

Turris is not a high end prospect anymore. He is still a decent one but far from a top guy.

Dobber Sports Padawan

You sound a little bitter Adam. Care to humor us with what you offered him?

Dobber Sports Sage

Sure.

Mike Richards, Mikko Koivu, Peter Mueller, Maxim Goncharov, Dustin Jeffrey, Patrick Maroon, 2011 1st rounder, 2012 1st rounder

That is what I offered.

It doesn't have the goalie but we had previous talks where I was giving him Marc-Andre Fleury.

And that's for Crosby alone. Not having him include Elliott and two solid picks.

Banned

Much better deal from playmaker's side.

Dobber Sports Sage

And JR's offer was much better as well. Off-hand, I believe it was Getzlaf, Nash, Vokoun, Jovanovski, and some picks/prospects.

Dobber Sports Ace

This all makes so much more sense now!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Brady19 View Post
    You sound a little bitter Adam. Care to humor us with what you offered him?
    He played hardball like everyone else. Sometimes I feel as if I couldn't get a fair deal if I was offering a one-night stand with Scarlet Johansson.
    Team:
    Eichel, Panarin, Tavares,
    Werenski
    Markstrom
    Stats:
    G,A,+-,PPG,PPA,SHG.SHA,SOG,PIM,GA,W,SV,SO,SHOW,SHOL

Quote Originally Posted by playmaker26 View Post
    And JR's offer was much better as well. Off-hand, I believe it was Getzlaf, Nash, Vokoun, Jovanovski, and some picks/prospects.
    That's all water under the bridge now.
    I made my decision and am sticking with it, for better or worse.
    Team:
    Werenski
    Markstrom
    Stats:

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
    That's all water under the bridge now.
    I made my decision and am sticking with it, for better or worse.
    Much worse.

Especially since I did not trade him to you.
    Team:
    Werenski
    Markstrom
    Stats: