Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pengiuns D: Martin vs. Letang vs. Goligoski

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    no he wasn't...he plays on the 2nd PP and has since the start of the year, you gotta follow the flow of the game...if the 1st PP unit is gassed because they just drew the penalty in question then they aren't going to start out on the PP
    Lol. What do you think I'm lying or something? Like I said, I was watching the game. He was on the ice with Crosby-Malkin-Comrie-Kunitz for Pittsburgh's last powerplay. If you don't believe me then you can check this for further proof.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/PL020027.HTM
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by PocketRockets05 View Post
    Lol. What do you think I'm lying or something? Like I said, I was watching the game. He was on the ice with Crosby-Malkin-Comrie-Kunitz for Pittsburgh's last powerplay. If you don't believe me then you can check this for further proof.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/PL020027.HTM
    Sorry dude but Mister_mcgoo is right. I have watched every pens game this season and Goligoski is the go to dman on PP1. You may have just caught Martin jumping out there because the first unit was tired.

Martin and Letang have been anchoring the 2nd PP unit.

Goligoski is looking really good too this year. He seems to have a new confidence about him. Martin is a great two-way defender who has above average offensive skills. He can handle himself in all situations.

Dobber Sports Wizard

All I know is that Martin was my gamble pick and he has so far become my biggest point producer.
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Sorry dude but Mister_mcgoo is right. I have watched every pens game this season and Goligoski is the go to dman on PP1. You may have just caught Martin jumping out there because the first unit was tired.

Goligoski is looking really good too this year. He seems to have a new confidence about him. Martin is a great two-way defender who has above average offensive skills. He can handle himself in all situations.
    That is correct. Martin will still get plenty of points.
    [I] just don't know how I let Carlson slip by. I have Karlson and will just have to wait until he gets started. He started slow last year too.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post

Ya I know Goligoski has been on the Pens 1st unit all year, I'm not questioning that, and I never said in my post he had permanently been removed from it. All I'm saying is on Pittsburgh's last powerplay of the game I observed that Martin was out there with Comrie-Crosby-Malkin-Kunitz which are the forwards the Pen's 1st unit contains. If that becomes a trend for next game or not remains to be seen. Pittsburgh's powerplay hasn't really been doing much all year so a change isn't necessarily out of the question.
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

Dobber Sports Ninja

Goligoski is their top powerplay quarterback. Martin is on the 2nd PP unit.

Goligoski has 2G and 1A. Both goals have been bombs from around the blue line. He averages 5-6 minutes of PP time per game.

Martin has 1G (an empty netter) and 3A. He averages 1-2 minutes of PP time per game. Martin was brought in to provide a steady presence on defense - not to be an offensive D despite his skating ability. In 7 seasons, Martin has never scored more than 33 points.

Not saying Martin has no upside (I actually think he does), but make no mistake... he is no Goligoski... and Goligoski is emerging as the new Gonchar of this team. He is young, aggressive and has played very impressively during preseason and regular season thus far. Might sound optimistic, but I bet he breaks out and scores 50+ this year.
    Last edited by blayze; October 12, 2010 at 12:13 AM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

good article I came across tonight.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_703984.html

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PocketRockets05 View Post
    Ya I know Goligoski has been on the Pens 1st unit all year, I'm not questioning that, and I never said in my post he had permanently been removed from it. All I'm saying is on Pittsburgh's last powerplay of the game I observed that Martin was out there with Comrie-Crosby-Malkin-Kunitz which are the forwards the Pen's 1st unit contains. If that becomes a trend for next game or not remains to be seen. Pittsburgh's powerplay hasn't really been doing much all year so a change isn't necessarily out of the question.
    i'm not questioning what you saw, I saw the same thing, I'm questioning you referring to it as the '1st PP unit'. To be the 1st PP unit you have to satisfy two requirements:

1)you are the starting PP unit (provided you aren't gassed from having just played the previous shift)
    2)you get the bulk of the ice time on the PP

Martin fails on both counts which is why your statement was false...that's not to say it won't change in the future but thusfar it has not been so

Dobber Sports Padawan

Since there is no hockey for the next two days (dammit), I thought I'd dig up this much talked about topic from the beginning of the season and give it a fresh look. Gotta give props to Dennis4022 and myself for getting this one right...

The only thing that could be more satisfying is to hear Dobber say he was wrong about Goli having the best shot at being the next Mike Green... He had the right team, but wrong dman

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Fush View Post
    Man I can't believe how little respect letang gets around here...

...Now that letang has the chance to get quality offensive minutes and not have to focus so much on defense he will be able to show how dynamic a dman he is (in terms of pure skill, I think he is already top 10 in the league at his position). In roto leagues I have no doubt that letang will be the most valuable dman of the 3, if not this year then very soon... He's still just 23.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that this past postseason letang was tied with malkin for the team lead in ppp with 4. His breakout is coming, so consider yourself warned...
    Dynasty - $100/yr buy-in - YEAR 8 - $100M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C - Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf
    LW - Pavelski, Domi
    RW - Seguin, Perry
    D - Letang, OEL, Carlson, Hamilton, J. Schultz
    Util - M. Koivu, Aho, Spooner, Atkinson
    G - Rask, Quick

BENCH
    Brassard, Bjugstad, Jagr, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Buchnevich, Ekblad, Beaulieu, Severson, Lundqvist
    PROSPECT
    Puljujarvi, Boeser, Barzal, Dal Colle, Fiala, Sergachev, Lindell

FOUR TIME DEFENDING CHAMPION

Dobber Sports Genius

Martin has little offensive skill...rarely shoots the puck which hurts his overall offensive #'s and plays with two options in Goligoski and Letang who have much more offensive upside than he...don't expect him to put anything higher than an extremely assist heavy 40-45 points...much rather go with guys like Pietrangelo Karlsson and company that actually have big time skill than a defensive defenseman in an offensive role...even Goligoski not on top PP on that squad should score at the similar pace....Letang however I consider the best all-around overall but I dont see him as much more than a 50 point pace option himself...would rather have Goligoski than Martin as I don't expect them to be far off points-wise even with Martin getting the bulk of the PP time and will be nowhere close to eachother if Goligoski usurps him on that top PP unit

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm pretty happy to having hold on Letang since October. I received some low balls offer, and some good ones too. I'm still convince that Letang have the skills to be a top 5-10 D in NHL. He plays on 1st PP, and he is passing that dam puck to Crosby and Malkin. What more can we ask to be a top D fantasy stud??? I will feel great when I'm going to read some positive stuff on Letang on this forum. Seams that we are just a minority who appreciate him...
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Letang had a whopping seven shots in tonight's game
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Master

Letang's just a monster.

The guy who picked him up late in the auction cheap is laughing at all of us right now. But he's in 2nd last so its all good
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Icon

Good article on the Pens D situation and possible trading options for Shero: http://thehockeywriters.com/inventor...ns-defensemen/

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Good article on the Pens D situation and possible trading options for Shero: http://thehockeywriters.com/inventor...ns-defensemen/
    Nice find Ross! It'll definitely be interesting to see what the Pens will do, but I like the idea of dealing Goligoski. I can see a lot of interest for him.