Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pengiuns D: Martin vs. Letang vs. Goligoski

Dobber Sports Expert

Paul Martin - point average: 27 43% on the pp
    Sergej Gonchar - point average: 52 53% on the pp
    Niklas Lidstrom - point average: 64 53% on the pp
    Chris Pronger - point average: 52 62% on the pp
    Last edited by Dennis4022; August 29, 2010 at 3:40 AM.

Dobber Sports Expert

Sorry for just throwing in some numbers, for some reason i canĀ“t post longer messages in here

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    Yeah, that play sealed Gonchar's fate in Pittsburgh. He is NOT worth the 5.5Mil Ottawa gave him. Even Mike Green TRIES to play defense, sometimes.
    12 Team H2H: G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, HIT, W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keeper in bold
    3C: Malkin, Toffoli, Stepan
    3W: Ovechkin, Landeskog, Radulov
    3D: Subban, Josi, Faulk
    2G: Rask, Rinne
    Bench:Turris, Pageau, Nash, Backes, Rielly, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardMongoose View Post
    Yeah, that play sealed Gonchar's fate in Pittsburgh. He is NOT worth the 5.5Mil Ottawa gave him. Even Mike Green TRIES to play defense, sometimes.
    In Gonchar's defence, if Fleury had made that routine save we wouldn't even have noticed Gonchar's laziness on this play. It was still basically a one on three when Moen scored from just outside the faceoff dot.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Nope, that's not in Gonchar's defense. The play is damning for BOTH Gonchar and Fleury. However, the scoring opportunity wouldn't even have come up if Gonchar just tried 10% of what he's capable of doing. He does his job, Fleury won't even have to try and make a save.
    GO WINGS!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardMongoose View Post
    First of all, the Penguins were offering him the SAME amount of money as the Sens were, they just didn't want to give him a third year. Shero JUST commented on how they really wanted to bring him back. This play didn't change their opinion of him!

and yes, he is worth that much money...a ton of teams were offering him the same amount as well.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Well said Big Ev.

Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero spoke glowingly to The Ottawa Sun about his former defenceman Sergei Gonchar.

"He's a great person. He's highly competitive. Sure, everybody knows (Gonchar) as a great player on the power play; but when he's on top of his game, he's a very good 5-on-5 player," said Shero.

"He likes to play against good players. He holds others (in the dressing room) accountable. He was tremendous in the transition for a guy like (Evgeni) Malkin. He's a very effective player. We're going to miss him for sure."

How might that translate for the Sens? Shero has specific thoughts about what sort of influence Gonchar will have on 20-year-old blueliner Erik Karlsson, who is on his way to becoming an impressive offensive presence for the Senators.

"Karlsson is really good on the power play, but getting a guy like Gonchar to work with him is going to be great for (Karlsson)," said Shero.

"(Gonchar) has got the patience, he's got that savvy. He plays the right side. He can shoot the puck. He can make a pass. He can buy time. There's just a lot of good things that he can do. He makes an impact."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Man I can't believe how little respect letang gets around here, someone mentioned goli's offensive prowess but here is a quick look at letangs #s:

2nd year junior: 60 GP, 25-43-68, 156 PIM
    3rd year junior: 31 GP, 13-35-48, 56 PIM... That's a 108 pt pace over a full 70 game sked.
    he skipped his last year of junior and made quick work of the ahl (10GP, 1-6-7)

by the age of 20 he was already a full time nhler, and whoever said goli's best season was better should consider giving letang two more years to make it a fair comparison.... At least by then we can compare what they've done by the same age (25).

If you watch the pens play regularly (and I do), u too would question why anyone thinks goli is a more skilled/dynamic player than tanger. The reason goli's #s to this point aRe better is because 1) he is older and 2) he gets better offensive minutes. Now that letang has the chance to get quality offensive minutes and not have to focus so much on defense he will be able to show how dynamic a dman he is (in terms of pure skill, I think he is already top 10 in the league at his position). In roto leagues I have no doubt that letang will be the most valuable dman of the 3, if not this year then very soon... He's still just 23.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that this past postseason letang was tied with malkin for the team lead in ppp with 4. His breakout is coming, so consider yourself warned...
    Dynasty - $100/yr buy-in - YEAR 8 - $100M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C - Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf
    LW - Pavelski, Domi
    RW - Seguin, Perry
    D - Letang, OEL, Carlson, Hamilton, J. Schultz
    Util - M. Koivu, Aho, Spooner, Atkinson
    G - Rask, Quick

BENCH
    Brassard, Bjugstad, Jagr, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Buchnevich, Ekblad, Beaulieu, Severson, Lundqvist
    PROSPECT
    Puljujarvi, Boeser, Barzal, Dal Colle, Fiala, Sergachev, Lindell

FOUR TIME DEFENDING CHAMPION

Banned

this is the 2nd of 3 Pens games I've seen so far...Goli is definitely the top PP d-man option thusfar and he's doing a fine job of it (ppg so far). The Pens often roll with 4 forwards on the PP and when they do its Goli. He is far and away the goto guy on the PP.

Its funny actually, the media doesn't do their homework either...some dipshit was interviewing Rupp between periods and asked him about Martin and asking him to compare his dramatic presence on the PP with that of the departed Gonchar and Rupp gets this sort of confused look on his face (Goli is getting around 6 mins/gm of PP time, Martin is under 2) and then gives a generic answer that acknowledges Martin's offensive skills while clarifying that its his solid defensive game and ability to transition that makes him a true pleasure to play with...writing is on the wall gentlemen

Dobber Sports Star

Ive been watching the Pens game and all they have been taking about is Paul Martin and how great he is.

I heard his name more than Crosby's today.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ballsakic View Post
    Ive been watching the Pens game and all they have been taking about is Paul Martin and how great he is.

absolutely, he's a great defenseman, he's their uncontested #1 d-man, he looks to be the next great shutdown guy in the NHL, but he's not an offensive defenseman and he is decidedly not being used as such (which is smart on the part of the Pens).

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm watching the game as well, and on Pittsburgh's last powerplay Martin was on the 1st unit. Not sure if this will be a trend, but it's worth noting nonetheless
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PocketRockets05 View Post
    I'm watching the game as well, and on Pittsburgh's last powerplay Martin was on the 1st unit. Not sure if this will be a trend, but it's worth noting nonetheless
    no he wasn't...he plays on the 2nd PP and has since the start of the year, you gotta follow the flow of the game...if the 1st PP unit is gassed because they just drew the penalty in question then they aren't going to start out on the PP

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ballsakic View Post

Maybe because Paul Martin was the best skater on ice today on both teams. He was absolutely amazing today. Crosby and Malkin were good but nothing spectacular - neither had their best game today.

Dobber Sports Icon

Martin is currently the leading scorer (points) on my keeper team (in sig) over Malkin, Backstrom, Sedin (1 game in), etc.

Just thought it was an interesting tidbit.

I have said all off-season that Martin has great offense and on Pittsburgh it should shine. I think he will surprise many and reward the few poolies who had faith in him. Or maybe I just have the blinders on but at this point I'm very happy I kept him
    Without me, it's only "aweso".