Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pengiuns D: Martin vs. Letang vs. Goligoski

Dobber Sports Demi-God

You may be right... it's one of the more interesting stories of the fantasy pre-season.
    Fun to discuss!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think Letang actually has the edge over both Martin and Goli to receive the most PP time because he is the only right-handed shot of the 3. Goli will probably get the first shot at #1 PP time because Martin will end up racking up enough ice time against the opponents #1 line and on PK. Martin was NJ's #1 PP D by default... I know he was injured last year but in the 3 previous years he only managed 33, 32 and 26 points, hardly a stud PP guy.

Martin got the big contract because he is an excellent two-way D-man who skates well, can move the puck but also plays amazing in his own end - perhaps a "Duncan Keith light" (hasn't got the extreme offensive skills that Keith has developed).

actually if you look at stats, he wasnt really the #1 PP guy until 07-08. That year Parise led the team in points with 65. Martin has a respectable 32 in 73 games. Led D in scoring.

There wasnt that much offensive production that year by anyone.

In his second full season as "THE" guy, he had 33 points in another 73 games. Not quite to impressive when you take into account the production that year by Parise(94), Elias(78), and Langebrunner, Zajac, and Gionta all with at least 60. Oduya and Greene got a little time that year and that along with him missing 9 games may have been what kept him from the 40pt plateau.

Last year he played 22 games and had 11 points. Pretty solid and on pace for 40. Thats still with Greene getting minutes and Martin not exactly being in game shape.

I see no reason he doesnt get the 1st shot on the PP. I dont think theyre looking for a lot of flash from that spot, they have the forwards to do it. I would guess theyre more looking for steady eddy. If you notice also, he doesnt shoot much. Thus...its becomes get the puck to Malkin and Crosby, and I think he could do that more efficiently based on his skill set coupled with his experience.

Not saying hes a 50+ guy, but I like him for 40 this year with a decent chance at 45-50

Banned

Martin is highly regarded by Dobber et al in the guide but I for one don't buy it. I think he'll do OK and probably have a career year (not hard when you've never hit 40 pts) but in terms of living up to the lofty predictions they've placed on him, he's gonna be this year's Patrick O'Sullivan

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by NYR9394 View Post
    Goligoski and Letang haven't really had the chance to "get it done" or be "the man". They've always had the shadow of Gonchar looming over them. No matter how well they would do, Gonchar was always top dog. When Gonch went down, we saw some great signs of what Goligoski could do if he doesn't have an elite d-man eating up quality minutes. This year is going to be very telling for him. I think he takes another huge step forward. Letang...who knows? He's been a bit of an afterthought. Now is his time to either sh*t or get off the pot. But to say that they haven't been getting it done is unfair to them.
    Letang has become the Pens' best allround dman. Saying that it's time for him to shit or get off the pot is laughable.
    GO WINGS!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    Letang has become the Pens' best allround dman. Saying that it's time for him to shit or get off the pot is laughable.
    Gonchar was their best all-around d-man by a mile, but now that he is gone, Martin is probably their best all-around d-man. Letang is second.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Did you watch Gonchar down the stretch and in the playoffs? Letang had gone past him so far it's not even funny. Gonch didn't even try in his own end.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Smile Martin et al

I too am worried whether Martin can step in and up at the same time. Goligoski is a one dimensional Dman, I need more than PP from my Dmen..Letang is a better all around choice in my book.

Banned

Yes I watched Gonchar's play deteriorate sslighty but I still think he was their best defenseman overall. Letang still has a ways to go before he even passes Martin now. I think Letang and Gonchar were about the same defensively, but Gonchar's offense put him over the top in terms of best overall.

Banned

Martin is a fairly complete d-man, Letang is fast becoming that as well...Goli gets FAR too much grief for being more offensively inclined than he is defensively. I can think of several starting d-men in the league that are worse defensively than he is. The truth is that he's an offensive defenseman who moves the puck very well and seldom commits gaffs where he coughs up the puck (the same can not be said for Letang, especially early in his career). He's by no means a shutdown defender but given his offensive upside you could do much worse. I see no reason they wont exploit his offensive gifts, especially as they have better options to play the stay at home role

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ev View Post
    Yes I watched Gonchar's play deteriorate sslighty but I still think he was their best defenseman overall. Letang still has a ways to go before he even passes Martin now. I think Letang and Gonchar were about the same defensively, but Gonchar's offense put him over the top in terms of best overall.
    Unforgivable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQBvLY30mXY
    GO WINGS!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    agreed, he made Moen look like Lemieux on that play -lol

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

No, Moen was his old self. Gonchar didn't even try for one single bit. It was more like he was actually lazily trying to get out of the way so Moen didn't have to make an effort to get to that puck. It was pathetic and the supposed number one dman of the defending cup champs played worse than an ECHL 6th dman.

Now of course, that's the worst moment for Gonch in those playoffs, but he was noticeably worse than usual and he played like he didn't care.
    GO WINGS!

Letang is an excellent all-around D, and still improving. He was Pittsburgh's best D-man in the stretch run and playoffs. I'm glad Martin is there as well. But even though I may be shot around these parts for saying this, but Goligoski just doesn't impress me at all. Yes, talent is there, but he doesn't put it together on a consistent basis - still unsure and erratic. Whenever I watch the Pens I don't see anything spectacular, but I do see plenty of mistakes. I really think the pressure will be on him this year to show he can be an NHL worthy d-man.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TOCanadafan View Post
    Letang is an excellent all-around D, and still improving. He was Pittsburgh's best D-man in the stretch run and playoffs. I'm glad Martin is there as well. But even though I may be shot around these parts for saying this, but Goligoski just doesn't impress me at all. Yes, talent is there, but he doesn't put it together on a consistent basis - still unsure and erratic. Whenever I watch the Pens I don't see anything spectacular, but I do see plenty of mistakes. I really think the pressure will be on him this year to show he can be an NHL worthy d-man.
    Give him a break, he's only 25 and this is probably the first year he'll play every game. It takes all sorts of players to make a team successful, you need a mix of offense and defense. You can teach a player to be better defensively but you can't teach true offensive prowess