Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Top-10 dark horses for Calder Trophy in 2010-2011

Dobber Sports Guru

Looks like Skinner will take Calder so I'd like to congratulate myself for making a great call on that one Not a bad list considering I made it after Dobber's Fantasy Guide was published and only took my favorite Eller from Dobber's top-50 rookies to my top-10 dark horse list [Note: Skinner was later added to Dobber's list but was not originally there and was added only after I made this thread].

From the list not only is Skinner in the top-20 for scoring amongst rookies but also Omark and Johansson are there. Josefson and Eller established themselves as NHL'ers also.

Dobber Sports Pro

I still think Carlson & Subban have been the most impressive rookies this season. Playing a lot of minutes on defence for good teams and producing offensively is more valuable to a team. Skinner has had a good yr as did Hall before the injury. Lot of worthy candidates though.

Dobber Sports Pro

Id say Jeff Skinner wins it but Logan Couture anyone?
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Ace

i think taylor hall would really be in contention had he not broken his ankle. to bad cause he was really turning it on and i think he would be damn close to skinner in pts had he not got in that fight.
    10 Team Yahoo Semi Keeper H2H Daily lineups (Keep 5 Vets & 5 Rookies), Play 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 4D, 2G daily

C-Giroux, Matthews (R), Petterson, Barzal (R)
    LW-Rakell
    RW-Tarasenko, Aho (R), Boser (R)
    D-Subban, Werenski (R)
    G-

Stats Counted:

G, A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, +/-, GWG, SOG, Hits, Blocks, PIM
    Wins, Saves, Goals Against, Shutouts

Rookies Eligible till 170 GP

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Perhaps it's the San Jose Sharks homer in me, but my vote still goes to Logan Couture. If we're going based off of points alone, Skinner gets it. But Couture has played an amazing season both on offense and defense. Couture is currently +19, which shows that he's solid both ways.

I'll be honest, I haven't seen a ton of Skinner's play this season but I just can't imagine a rookie being more impressive overall than Couture. The guy looks like a seasoned vet out there and more often than not is the best player on the ice.
    15-team keeper (keep 10) - G,A,+/-,PPP, Hits, Blocked Shots, W, SV%, Saves

Forwards - Kunin, Trenin, Eichel, Bjorkstrand, Boldy, Pastrnak, Boeser, Caufield, Laine, Crosby, Newhook, Konecny, Farabee, Rossi (NA)
    Defenseman - Brodin, Hamilton, Zadorov, Severson, Forsling, Braun, Roy
    Goalies - Sorokin, Hill, Varlamov, Daws

Dobber Sports Stud

(Stolen from a poster at hfboards)

Players to score 30 goals as an 18 year old.

Dale Hawerchuk, WPG 1981-82
    Bob Carpenter, WSH 1981-82
    Brian Bellows, MIN 1982-83
    Steve Yzerman, DET 1983-84
    Jimmy Carson, LAK 1986-87
    Trevor Linden, VAN 1988-89
    Sidney Crosby, PIT 2005-06
    Jeff Skinner, CAR 2010-11

Rookies that scored 60 points or more over the past 10 seasons. Only Kane, Crosby and Skinner did it straight out of their draft year. Obviously OV would have if there hadn't been a lockout.

Kane
    Backstrom
    Malkin
    Stastny
    Kopitar
    Ovechkin
    Crosby
    Boyes
    Ryder
    Heatley
    Brad Richards
    Skinner

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Looks like Skinner will take Calder so I'd like to congratulate myself for making a great call on that one Not a bad list considering I made it after Dobber's Fantasy Guide was published and only took my favorite Eller from Dobber's top-50 rookies to my top-10 dark horse list [Note: Skinner was later added to Dobber's list but was not originally there and was added only after I made this thread].

From the list not only is Skinner in the top-20 for scoring amongst rookies but also Omark and Johansson are there. Josefson and Eller established themselves as NHL'ers also.

Nice work......