Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37 42 43 44 45 46 47

Thread: Stanley Cup Final - Chicago vs. Philadelphia

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by playmaker26 View Post
    Chicago was the better team as a lot of us have said over and over again. But the teams were evenly matched.

I don't buy the 7th seed talk either because of the expectations this team had at the beginning of the season. They finally played to their potential. And that potential was the ability to compete for the Cup.
    Great post. I completely agree with this post. Philly was predicted to be a top two Eastern Conference team by many "experts". The fact they had to deal with injuries (especially to their goaltenders!) and underachieved during the regular season, doesn't take away from the fact that they played up to their Stanley Cup contender potential during these playoffs was not a surprise for me.

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Flyers notes

Now that the playoffs are over, here are some Flyers notes surfacing. Pretty much quoted the whole article, but cropped out a tiny bit and tried to group it all by topic.

Leighton wants to re-sign. "I hope to get the opportunity to stay here as a No. 1 and if not, then elsewhere," he said.
    And although the Flyers lacked for adequate NHL-ready depth on defense in the playoffs, Holmgren said he doesn't feel the need to upgrade there in free agency. The third pair could improve.

"Our guys need opportunities to play," he said, later referring to young Ryan Parent, who the club hasn't given up on. "Our coaches did a good job of playing their best players in the playoffs. " Do we need to find a guy? I think we have those guys."
    Holmgren didn't seem too concerned with the overabundance of top centers on the club "Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Claude Giroux and Danny Briere" competing for the top three lines.

Briere's 30 points in the playoffs proved he needs to be at center. At the same time, Giroux's talents are lost on a third line or at wing.

Said Briere: "Everyone knows I feel more comfortable in the middle." Briere added he would do whatever benefits the team most, even going back to wing.
    Holmgren defended Scott Hartnell, who had some serious personal issues that greatly affected his play during the regular season. Those issues were concluded late in the season, and Hartnell was the second best forward on the club behind Briere in the playoffs.

It now appears Hartnell will not be traded (he has a no-trade clause), even though the Flyers contemplated doing that during the regular season.

"I don't remember one time that Scott talked about [his problem]," Holmgren said. "He stuck with it. He stuck to it. He continued to work. And I think he played tremendous in the playoffs for us. I thought he came on in the last 20 games and it carried over into the playoffs. He had some issues to deal with that weren't very nice."

Hartnell said the worst times are behind him.
    Last year, Holmgren told the media that Richards had much to learn as a captain and needed to take some things to heart over the summer. Holmgren was asked if he felt Richards had grown and gave a telling response:

"[He's] two games from where he needs to be," Holmgren said, meaning two more wins for a Cup. "I don't mean that in a bad way."
    A number of surgeries are pending, depending upon final exams. One surgery for certain is that Betts will have his right shoulder repaired to prevent future dislocations. That happened twice this season. Holmgren said there was a list of other players who may need surgery.
    Goalie Johan Backlund agreed to a two-year contract extension. He may require surgery on his left hip because of a groin problem. Holmgren said he will need surgery, but Backlund said he wasn't sure. "I've been feeling pretty good," Backlund said. "I learned to play over here and it's a totally different game. I learned a lot and learned to play this style."
    Holmgren said he felt it would be "easy" to re-sign his four top restricted free agents: Braydon Coburn, Darroll Powe, Dan Carcillo and Parent. "Though Holmgren did not comment, the Flyers likely won't re-sign unrestricted free agent Arron Asham.
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Sage

I'll pass along some of the stuff I have heard. Mostly about the goaltending but I will try to get some more stuff in the coming days.

I had mentioned awhile ago that Carter and Hartnell will both probably be moved, especially if they don't win the Cup. Carter is still probably going to be traded but Hartnell most likely played himself into staying in Philly (pretty obvious).

Any talk of moving Briere because of his contract - not going to happen. Nobody is going to take that contract.

Michael Leighton will probably be back. My source talked to him today and he obviously wants to return (as said in the article posted by dub). I asked if he will likely be back as the starter and that isn't known right now. Either him or one of the previous guys my source told me (Vokoun is one). The Flyers do like Dan Ellis so that could be a route if they want to sign someone in free agency.

I asked if Quick is available and he said he doesn't think so. Hasn't heard anything on that front. I then asked if the Flyers would pay for someone like Schneider or Harding. He was unsure when I asked but will get back to me.

Here's my personal thoughts/opinions:

No clue on the goaltending. It's so up in the air. Leighton was so good in the regular season and then against Boston/Montreal. But stumbled against Chicago. Did he just fall under the pressure or did he fall back down to earth to what he is - a journeyman? The ideal situation I think would be for him to be resigned AND trade for a good young goalie (Schneider, Harding, etc.). I know Boucher is signed for one more year though. An Ellis/Leighton platoon intrigues me though.

I hope Parent doesn't come back. He could get dealt at the draft for something which would be ideal. I fully expect Pronger, Timonen, Coburn, Carle, and Bartulis to be there and the question mark is who else will be on that 3rd pair. I mentioned a few weeks ago that Willie Mitchell is a possibility.

It's going to be an interesting summer for the Flyers. They aren't going to lose anyone major like last offseason (Knuble) and should have some improvement from players (goaltending position, JVR, Giroux).

Dobber Sports Master

The only reason I would want to see Carter leave is for a proper number one goalie or to clear up cap space to achieve the same. Otherwise keep him.

I have a suspicion he was playing injured. Carter has one of the best wrist shots in the game. He will score a lot of goals in his career. I hope they are mostly for us rather than poentially against us.

If you are looking for a positive thing from coming second best, it is that losing will make this a stronger team. It will make them battle hardened. I believe we will come back next year strong. We will finish as a much higher seed and I expect another long playoff run.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Wedgy View Post
    The only reason I would want to see Carter leave is for a proper number one goalie or to clear up cap space to achieve the same. Otherwise keep him.

I have a suspicion he was playing injured. Carter has one of the best wrist shots in the game. He will score a lot of goals in his career. I hope they are mostly for us rather than poentially against us.

If you are looking for a positive thing from coming second best, it is that losing will make this a stronger team. It will make them battle hardened. I believe we will come back next year strong. We will finish as a much higher seed and I expect another long playoff run.
    I don't blame Carter's poor play on him playing injured.

2005-06 - 6 GP, 0 PTS (rookie season, understandable)
    2007-08 - 17 GP, 11 PTS
    2008-09 - 6 GP, 1 PT
    2009-10 - 12 GP, 7 PTS

41 games played with 12 goals and 7 assists.

.29 goals per game in the playoffs.
    .46 points per game in the playoffs.

Take away his rookie year and they are .34 and .54.

His regular season totals are .38 and .72.

I know the playoffs are harder to score in but he is awful in the postseason. Shows no heart or sense of urgency.

He needs to be traded. He can get a great return. The one thing I least like about him is he doesn't make players around him better. He hasn't had chemistry with one Flyer.

Banned

Spezza for Carter and a pick?

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ev View Post
    Spezza for Carter and a pick?
    I think the Flyers would want something coming back with Spezza for Carter because of the difference in salary. And I would rather the Flyers move Carter for help in goal or defense.