Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnus Paajarvi

Dobber Sports Star

Default Magnus Paajarvi

I was really impressed by Paajarvi's season in the SEL this year, especially considering he put up better numbers than Kopitar and similar numbers to Backstrom at the same age.

Kopitar -- 20 points in 47 games
    Backstrom -- 26 points in 46 games
    Paajarvi -- 29 points in 49 games

Both Kopy and Backstrom had immediate impacts on their respective teams when they came over, and as we know neither the Kings or the Caps were powerhouse squads before they came over. Kopitar had 61 points in 72 games during his rookie year and 77 points in his sophomore season. Backstrom had 69 points in his rookie season and 88 points in his sophomore season.

Does anybody think Paajarvi is capable of similar magic if he were to come over to the Oilers this coming year?
    10 Team H2H Points-based Keeper League

G, A, PIM, SOG, +/-
    W, SO, SV, GA

C: H. Sedin, Stamkos, Backstrom, Duchene, Granlund
    LW: D. Sedin, Landeskog, B. Schenn, Tatar, Boedker
    RW: P. Kane, Voracek, Hudler, Silfverberg, Toffoli
    D: Ehrhoff, Edler, Franson, Del Zotto, Myers, R. Ellis, Hamonic
    G: Quick, Bishop, Holtby, Peters, M. Jones

Farm: Terevainen, Nurse, Raanta

League Champion: 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014

12 Team Roto Dynasty League Champion: 2011 and 2013

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i dont think he'll crack the oilers lineup this year to be honest. too many forwards on that team...

Dobber Sports Ninja

I agree, I also don't see him playing for the Oilers this year.

Also, with all of the forwards on the Oilers, even if he did play, I'm not convinced he'd get the proper ice time to make much of an impact.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

What should make you even more exciting is his overall play if you don't look at the numbers. He already has a pretty well-rounded game and he's responsible at both ends of the ice. He can improve his defensive game, of course, but it's nice to see that he backchecks and most of the time has his man covered, he's speedy enough to do that. Some of the passes that he makes are just plain silly how they throw off the opposition. I don't know if he's ready to make the Oilers or if the Oilers really want him to make the team this year because of contract reasons (don't think they want both him and Eberle to have their ELC end at the same time), but he has a good shot at producing if he gives it a try.
    GO WINGS!

The Great One

I think MPS will make the team in 2010-11, and I also think he will have an immediate impact. I know they have lots of (underachieving) forwards, but I think they will make room for MPS, Eberle, and Hall/Seguin. I could see some exciting things for the Oilers this year. To make room for these three, I think we will see players like Cogliano, O'Sullivan, and maybe even someone like Hemsky or Penner traded. After the season they just had (followed by numerous disappointing seasons, to be honest), I think major changes are going to be made this offseason and the youth movement (which has been successful for teams like Colorado and Phoenix) is going to make its way to Edmonton.

Dobber Sports Star

Yes, the Oilers are in a very funny situation with all their forwards. I'm betting Hemsky, Horcoff and Gagner are back. Don't think there's much doubt there.

Jordan Eberle will also make the team. If not this year, when?

That leaves Penner, Brule, O'Sullivan, Cogliano, Comrie, Nilsson, and possibly Paajarvi and Hall/Seguin to round out the top six.

The Oilers are the Oilers, so my guess is that they will run three scoring lines (like the Sabres did during their President's trophy year in 2007) and then have a fourth checking line.

Still, the list above shows 12 possible players for a scoring role, with only nine positions available at the most.

I'm wondering if this is how it might shake out:

Penner - Horcoff - Hemsky
    Hall - Gagner - O'Sullivan
    Paajarvi - Brule - Eberle

This would mean Nilsson, Comrie and Cogliano would be gone, which might be for the best. None of them were very consistent this past year (or have been over their careers).

G, A, PIM, SOG, +/-
    W, SO, SV, GA

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    What should make you even more exciting is his overall play if you don't look at the numbers. He already has a pretty well-rounded game and he's responsible at both ends of the ice. He can improve his defensive game, of course, but it's nice to see that he backchecks and most of the time has his man covered, he's speedy enough to do that. Some of the passes that he makes are just plain silly how they throw off the opposition. I don't know if he's ready to make the Oilers or if the Oilers really want him to make the team this year because of contract reasons (don't think they want both him and Eberle to have their ELC end at the same time), but he has a good shot at producing if he gives it a try.
    Thanks, Sentium. Always nice to get feedback from somebody who has actually watched him play a game or two.

G, A, PIM, SOG, +/-
    W, SO, SV, GA

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by natgeo View Post

This would mean Nilsson, Comrie and Cogliano would be gone, which might be for the best. None of them were very consistent this past year (or have been over their careers).
    That lineup works well enough, I think. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if Nilsson, Comrie, and Congliano are gone. But it also wouldn't surprise me in the least if other trades can be made. I think everyone (besides Horcoff because of his contract) could be traded. I know Gagner is a terrific young player, but I've heard rumors of them dangling him to land another top 10 pick to grab someone like Fowler, Gormley, or Gudbranson. Cause let's face it...their defense is not very deep and they could use a blue-chip D prospect, perhaps even more than Hall/Seguin (though they will not pass on one of those two with the first overall).

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    That lineup works well enough, I think. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if Nilsson, Comrie, and Congliano are gone. But it also wouldn't surprise me in the least if other trades can be made. I think everyone (besides Horcoff because of his contract) could be traded. I know Gagner is a terrific young player, but I've heard rumors of them dangling him to land another top 10 pick to grab someone like Fowler, Gormley, or Gudbranson. Cause let's face it...their defense is not very deep and they could use a blue-chip D prospect, perhaps even more than Hall/Seguin (though they will not pass on one of those two with the first overall).
    Yeah, I guess it depends on who they grab: Hall or Seguin. If they grab Hall and trade Gagner then they will have even less depth at center than before.

I'm intrigued to see what the Oilers do going forward. Hopefully they've learned a lesson about putting a team together after this year's disaster.

G, A, PIM, SOG, +/-
    W, SO, SV, GA

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    i dont think he'll crack the oilers lineup this year to be honest. too many forwards on that team...
    But how many of them are worth keeping?
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by natgeo View Post
    Yes, the Oilers are in a very funny situation with all their forwards. I'm betting Hemsky, Horcoff and Gagner are back. Don't think there's much doubt there.

Jordan Eberle will also make the team. If not this year, when?

That leaves Penner, Brule, O'Sullivan, Cogliano, Comrie, Nilsson, and possibly Paajarvi and Hall/Seguin to round out the top six.

The Oilers are the Oilers, so my guess is that they will run three scoring lines (like the Sabres did during their President's trophy year in 2007) and then have a fourth checking line.

Still, the list above shows 12 possible players for a scoring role, with only nine positions available at the most.

I'm wondering if this is how it might shake out:

I personally don't see MPS coming over this year. Next most likely, IMO. And I'm the only one who's heard things about Katz willing to buy out Moreau/O'Sully if he can't trade them? Maybe I'm just imaging things.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Edmonton definately needs a shake up. And three top flight prospects is exactly what will do it.

I watched MPS in several world junior games and he really impressed me. I thought his speed was one of his best assets. Great shot too.

MPS, Jordan "Captain Clutch" Eberle and Hall/Seguin will be a huge improvement to Edmontons lineup. They could be scary in a few years!
    14 Team Keeper PTS, +/-, PIM's *.3 20 Players, 4 Center, 8 Wing, 6 D-men, 2 Goalies, NHL cap hit $91 Million Total

Centers Tavares, Giroux, Draisaitl, Eichel
    Wing Eberle, Kessel, Schenn, Hall, Nichushkin, Stone, B. Ryan, Connolly
    Defence Karlsson, OEL, Shattenkirk, Murphy, Gardiner, Daley
    Goal Lehner, Schneider

Prospects Shinkaruk, Frk, Pulock, Marner, Zacha, Rod, Kapanen, Leblanc, Kristo, McNeill, Noesen, Tuch

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

MPS will NOT be in the lineup next season. Eberle is a possibilty (a strong one). Hall will be given his 9 game stint and the management will decide from them. For marketing purposes, I see Hall sticking but think he'd benefit from playing another OHL season.

Horcoff's contract makes him tough to move. If O'Sullivan doesn't return its because he gets bought out.

There is about 1% that all three kids make the squad (MPS, Eberle and Hall). My guess is that Eberle and Hall see time this year.

Dobber Sports Pro

too far away from training camp to determine who stays and goes, plus the whole summer awaits to see who gets moved, etc.

I watched every game of the WJCs and to me the best two forwards were Eberle and MPS, hands down. I own both, and am high on both, and will be patient with both if need be.

No love or mention of Potulny amongst the crowded forward mess? He was one of the few players this year that impressed me on EDM.
    14 team league - 16 Keepers max 2 goalies - G,A,P,+/-,PPP,SHP,SOG,PIM, FW, W, GAA,SV, SV%, SHO

Use the Schwartz

C: Mike Richards (lw) Henrik Sedin, Strome, Kuznetsov
    RW: Iginla, Voracek, Eriksson (lw), Gagner (c)
    LW: Parise, Nash, Schwartz
    D: Karlsson, Barrie, Hedman
    G: Luongo, Crawford

might dump one of eriksson or gagner to keep Leddy

@Rusty_Pickles Tweet Tweet.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Having three high profile rookies could be messy once their contracts all expire the same year.
    Can anyone else think of a time when a team had 3 high profile rookies playing in the same season?
    If MPS doesn't crack the roster this year, will he be fine with playing in th AHL or will he want to go back to the SEL?
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year