Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Expert" Panel Playoff Predictions

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default "Expert" Panel Playoff Predictions

How someone can go 3 for 8 (in the first round) in this format and be considered an expert is beyond me.

Angus picked every single Eastern Conference team wrong. And had Pheonix to win in the West.

Ofcourse, he took some ballsy selections (Ottawa over Pittsburgh) so that if it actually happened he would look like a genious. Low risk high reward, right?

Phx vs Njd in the cup final and Parise winning conn smythe? Actually his top 5 scorers are all on the sidelines watching the rest of the playoffs. Not to bad, for an expert.

Even Dobber going 4 for 8 is below his self proclaimed 52% threshold.

Now I know most of you here will say "well why dont you lay your name on the line and make a couple predictions". And I'll tell you that if I do predict who's going to win the series/cup/conn smythe I wont advertise the predictions as "expert".

Stick to writing articles that relate to fantasy hockey.

Banned

wow...scathing
    be interesting to see the replies to this thread

Dobber Sports Stud

Here's my cliche response: "It sounds like someone is just bitter he went with the "expert advice" and got laughed out of the 1st round of his playoff pool."

I just think it's far too easy to rag on the experts for getting it wrong after the fact. *yawn*
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

"Dont talk bad about Dobber or Angus" is what the majority of the replies will look like.

But whats right is right.

***and as a matter of fact....this is the first year in a LONG time I haven't been in a playoff pool, not ONE. For some reason all of the guys in our pool were not able to get together so we just scratched it. And to tell you the truth, it was a blessing in disguise. Im actually able to watch hockey without routing for certain players.
    Last edited by vaseuro; April 29, 2010 at 1:23 AM.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Is there an expert in the world who called the Habs over the Caps? Not that I've seen. The Hockey News picked the Caps as their Cup winners - have they now lost all credibility?

When the top 3 seeds in the conference all lose, there's going to be a lot of people with egg on their faces. Even "experts" don't have crystal balls.

The Airborne Attack
    (GFHL - 14 Team Keeper League 2016 Champions)

F: McDavid, Laine, Monahan, Simmonds, van Riemsdyk, Granlund, Schwartz, Kreider, Oshie, Trochek, Bjugstad
    D: Ekman Larsson, Carlson, Ristolainen, Parayko, Skjei, Ekblad, McNabb
    G: Price, Rinne, Halak, Montoya

Farm: Dvorak, Kaprizov, Ritchie, Rattie, Chabot, Carrick, Johns, Hutton, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by r22yu View Post
    I just think it's far too easy to rag on the experts for getting it wrong after the fact. *yawn*
    Aw, you were close to the kind of reply I was expecting.

Anyway, tell me exactly how the panel here at dobberhockey.com are considered experts at analyzing and predicting the outcome of a series/playoffs. Dont get me wrong, I admire the work these gentlemen do for the site, and more importantly the fantasy hockey community, but to label them as an expert? Sorry, an expert for playoff bracket predictions?! Absurd.

Dobber Sports Ace

Originally Posted by r22yu View Post
    agreed.

I think you're taking their 'experts' claim a little too seriously.
    Last edited by wpggrown; April 29, 2010 at 1:41 AM.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by elevatemysoul View Post
    Is there an expert in the world who called the Habs over the Caps? Not that I've seen. The Hockey News picked the Caps as their Cup winners - have they now lost all credibility?

When the top 3 seeds in the conference all lose, there's going to be a lot of people with egg on their faces. Even "experts" don't have crystal balls.
    Im not blaming anyone for not picking the Habs over Washington.

But to go 3 for 8?!

Hell, Ryan Ma went perfect in my eyes (7 for 8) and Bugg was sensational too (6 for 8).

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by vaseuro View Post
    Aw, you were close to the kind of reply I was expecting.

Anyway, tell me exactly how the panel here at dobberhockey.com are considered experts at analyzing and predicting the outcome of a series/playoffs. Dont get me wrong, I admire the work these gentlemen do for the site, and more importantly the fantasy hockey community, but to label them as an expert? Sorry, an expert for playoff bracket predictions?! Absurd.
    Mmmmmm, I would wager that since they run this site, they built it into what it is, so if they want to call themselves the experts on their site... well it's their prerogative.

I guess my care factor on how well they predicted the playoff winners is very low since I'm not in any playoff pools and don't like playoff pools due to the unpredictability of the playoffs.

But come on, we see "experts" on TV all the time, they don't get it right all the time either! Hello stock market forecasters.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Win some and lose some. Are you aware that Tiger Woods missed a cut in a major once?

Dobber Sports Padawan

They always state that the real value is in their consensus picks, not in any individual panelist's predictions. They went 5-3. Not bad, considering the number of surprises.

The Airborne Attack
    (GFHL - 14 Team Keeper League 2016 Champions)

F: McDavid, Laine, Monahan, Simmonds, van Riemsdyk, Granlund, Schwartz, Kreider, Oshie, Trochek, Bjugstad
    D: Ekman Larsson, Carlson, Ristolainen, Parayko, Skjei, Ekblad, McNabb
    G: Price, Rinne, Halak, Montoya

Farm: Dvorak, Kaprizov, Ritchie, Rattie, Chabot, Carrick, Johns, Hutton, Sorokin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by r22yu View Post
    But come on, we see "experts" on TV all the time, they don't get it right all the time either! Hello stock market forecasters.
    yeah there's this pregame show on Versus called the Daily line or some shit like that, its basically four douchebags pretending they know something about sports and since its the hockey playoffs they're all trying to appear like they actually watch it. Their resident 'numbers expert' is this tool who thinks he's clever because he picks the overwhelming favorites most of the time and then mixes in a few picks that are supposed to be daring...like oooooooo, check out my big balls, I'm picking Detroit to upset the Sharks! He basically guaranteed the Caps would win tonight too...nothing is guaranteed in the Stanley Cup Playoffs bub...heeheee

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    yeah there's this pregame show on Versus called the Daily line or some shit like that, its basically four douchebags pretending they know something about sports and since its the hockey playoffs they're all trying to appear like they actually watch it. Their resident 'numbers expert' is this tool who thinks he's clever because he picks the overwhelming favorites most of the time and then mixes in a few picks that are supposed to be daring...like oooooooo, check out my big balls, I'm picking Detroit to upset the Sharks! He basically guaranteed the Caps would win tonight too...nothing is guaranteed in the Stanley Cup Playoffs bub...heeheee
    Agreed.....

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I forgot the mention.....

Marty "Mapletree" Kwiaton - Pens the weekly Saturday picks

picked every single favourite lol.....and yes detroit was a favourite going into game 1.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Feel free to go elsewhere for your playoff picks then. No one is asking you to stay.