Thread: Mats Zuccarello-Aasen update

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Mats Zuccarello-Aasen update

http://translate.google.ca/translate...ml&sl=no&tl=en

Norwegian TV station reporting Wings, Thrashers, Stars and Blackhawks have been in contact with him; his agent says MZA has the Wings top of his list, as he thinks their style of play suits him. Wants to sign with an offensive, not defensive, team.

There's also a bit I don't understand about an agreement to be signed tomorrow which I think is about a transfer agreement between the NHL and the Swedes, though I thought he had an out clause so that wouldn't matter. At any rate, it seems things will start moving on the MZA front tomorrow ...
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Giant

Thanks for the update my friend!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Aasen team choices....

Quote Originally Posted by fzusher View Post
    http://translate.google.ca/translate...ml&sl=no&tl=enMZA has the Wings top of his list, as he thinks their style of play suits him. Wants to sign with an offensive, not defensive, team.
    That is contradictory as the wings are one of the more prolific defense first organizations. But still it would not surprise me. But I have trouble seeing it given cap concerns and the rumour that Hudler is on his way back as well.

Dido for the Hawks.

Atlanta would be a better fit due to available playing time.

Stars might be gun shy thanks to Brunnstrom.

Right now there are probably 20-30 teams investigating this guy. Unless the media whole zeros in on a particular team from the angle that a deal is all but done, then discount almost anything any of them report, because it is so often the case that it is a team not being reported. (See Kovalchuk for details)
    League Rules:12 Teams-24 Players-12 Keepers.
    3C 3LW 3RW 3F 6D 2G 4BN 2IR
    C-V.Lecavelier,M.Duchene,L.Couture,D.Stepan
    LW-A.Ovechkin,T.Hall,V.Leino,E.Cole,K.Clifford
    RW-I.Kovalchuk,C.Stewart,J.Skinner,B.Little
    D-Z.Chara,V.Hedman,J.Johnson,D.Hamhuis,E.Johnson,M.G iordano,M.A.Bergeron
    G-C.Price,C.Schneider,A.Lindback,J.Reimer

The Great One

I disagree. Especially with free agents.

The media was going crazy about the rumours of Bozak, and Gustavsson signing in Toronto. Then when they finally signed, it was expected.

Same with Gilroy in NY, Leino in Detroit and actually Penner in Anaheim too.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

doesn't matter which team he signs with, the last name on his jersey better be Times New Roman size 12 font if they want it to fit.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    That is contradictory as the wings are one of the more prolific defense first organizations. But still it would not surprise me. But I have trouble seeing it given cap concerns and the rumour that Hudler is on his way back as well.
    What is this Hudler rumour that you speak of? Do you have any links?
    GO BRUINS

20 team Keeper - Protect 10
    Dress weekly 8 Fwds 4 D-men 1 Goalie
    Fwds 1pt - gl 1pt - asst
    Dmen 2pt - gl 1pt - asst FWDS & D-Men 1pt PPG / SHG / OTG
    Goalies 3pts-win 2pts-shutout

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BDog View Post
    What is this Hudler rumour that you speak of? Do you have any links?
    Here's a link BDog:

http://www.freep.com/article/2010031...-Hudler-return

Sorry if this hijacks the thread.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Here's a link BDog:

http://www.freep.com/article/2010031...-Hudler-return

Sorry if this hijacks the thread.
    No sorries needed here. That's great news for me as I picked him up at the last add/drop of the season on a hunch that life might not be so rosie in the KHL (bags full of money excluded). This is at least a step in the right direction for that gamble to pay off.
    Cheers
    GO BRUINS

20 team Keeper - Protect 10
    Dress weekly 8 Fwds 4 D-men 1 Goalie
    Fwds 1pt - gl 1pt - asst
    Dmen 2pt - gl 1pt - asst FWDS & D-Men 1pt PPG / SHG / OTG
    Goalies 3pts-win 2pts-shutout

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by fzusher View Post
    his agent says MZA has the Wings top of his list, as he thinks their style of play suits him.
    I read this as:

Style of play = winning.

Maybe not this season as much but is there a better organization to go be a part of long term?

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyGuru View Post
    I disagree. Especially with free agents.

The media was going crazy about the rumours of Bozak, and Gustavsson signing in Toronto. Then when they finally signed, it was expected.

Same with Gilroy in NY, Leino in Detroit and actually Penner in Anaheim too.
    As I said the media as a whole, almost from the outset, focused on those guys ending up where they did.

Leino was from the outset focussed as another european gem Detroit had found.

Gustavsson and Bozak the same with T.O. since Burke is notorious for finding quality players outside of the draft.

However, these names started surfacing almost as soon as they were signed, wherein the case of Brunnstrom there was months of youBOOB hype around him. The mystery came from a plethora of teams attempting to sign him, rather than coverage that "X team has been in negotiation with so-and-so player, a-b-c teams are also said to be interested".

There is little difference really, and I would be most assured that mine or your viewpoint would come from how early/late the discovery of the player is made and the hubbub surrounding his acquisition.

Unlike Bozak or Gusty who were more obscure signings to most people since there is much less coverage of the euro-leagues or NCAA, Brunnstrom had the months of youtube hype, and Aasen had the Olympic showcase and the very public tip-of-the-hat by Yzerman no less, and not a media pundit. That situation breeds a much different situation regarding Aasen. It is now a case of who can sign the best undrafted player outside the NHL? And anyone with CAP-space should be considered, while the teams mentioned are either CAP-strapped or Cash-strapped.

Again, nothing would surprise me, but so much speculation going to teams that are unlikely to be in any position of signing him without moving players first. And few teams move proven players for up and comers except during a rebuilding phase, which neither Detroit, or the Hawks are. Dallas wants to avoid, and Atlanta should be. Therefore from that early list, Atlanta should be the best bet.

AS I write this I am really hoping it is not announced that he has signed with a team that I have just denounced.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Detroit was the first organization to really successfully integrate Europeans, and I think it is still benefiting them. Players in Europe see all of the past/present players from Russia, Sweden, etc. succeeding in Detroit, and probably feel a bit more comfortable going there.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    Detroit was the first organization to really successfully integrate Europeans, and I think it is still benefiting them. Players in Europe see all of the past/present players from Russia, Sweden, etc. succeeding in Detroit, and probably feel a bit more comfortable going there.
    No doubt that Detroit's euro-centric drafting and signing has put them at the forefront historically but they have had a long time-line and I think in recent seasons many other teams have done a great job of getting quality euro-players. Salary CAP probably has a lot to do with it, since D can't sign and build with the euro-depth they use to.

I think that teams with players with familiar languages generally have the inside track, especially if that player is a star trying to attract another star. But we have seen deviation from that recently, with ice-time being the major draw. If we stick with the common language rational then he would go to NYI as Frans Nielsen is the only other Norwegian in the NHL according to NHLnumbers.com.

I own his rights in a league so I would benefit from him sliding into Detroit's top 6. But with their CAP problems, I don't see it. And re-acquiring Hudler would be everybit as beneficial as Aasen is likely to be.

I think Aasen would like to slide into a young team with good expectations from their talent, but low expectations for output next season, so that he can adjust to the NA style of play. I hate saying T.O. but it is a fit, better would be Carolina. Edmonton is possible but not likely. NYR is possible to as they will have two holes in there top 6 this summer and looking for affordable help, with Jokinen and Prospal as UFAs.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Smile Nielsen er ikke Norsk!

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    If we stick with the common language rational then he would go to NYI as Frans Nielsen is the only other Norwegian in the NHL according to NHLnumbers.com.
    Sorry Sovereign, Nielsen is from Denmark. He may very well speak Norwegian, but after living in Norway for two years, I can tell you that nearly every Norwegian can communicate in English very well. I'm certain language won't be one of the criteria MZA uses to choose his NHL destination.