Thread: Grotnes

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Grotnes

I wonder how this guy would do on a better team? He looks very solid to me. If Justin is reading this i'd love to hear his take on him! He just keeps weathering the storm. I know when i play, it's difficult to not get frustrated when it feels like you're the only one on the ice!

Anyways, just impressed with this guy and wanted to see what you guys thought.

On a side note, after 5 cold ones almost every event becomes quite entertaining and dramatic.

cheers

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I moved it to Justin's own subforum so he notices it for sure Left a redirect in the Goalie Discussion forum
    GO WINGS!

The King of Diatribes

By far and away one of the best goalies that has to come out of Norway in ... forever??

If you look at the links below, you will see a lot of good insight and commentary on Grotnes in the Olympics ... Lots of good stuff in here ... On an NHL team he would probably develop into a very good goalie but he needs at least a year in the AHL or maybe start him out in the ECHL and work his way up from there. Could be very similar to a Timo Pielmeier, except without the QMJHL experience.

http://www.thegoalieguild.com/?p=3196 - GROTNES GAME 1
    http://www.thegoalieguild.com/?p=3223 - GROTNES GAME 1
    http://www.thegoalieguild.com/?p=3220 - GROTNES REFLECTIONS (below)

Not only does Grotnes have a style very suitable to NHL or North American goaltending, he looks like an NHL goalie in every sense of the word. Rocking those awesome Reebok Revokes helps as well…he just seems to fit right in. Even though he was pulled in the game after allowing four goals, it was obvious the decision was made in order to rest him for today’s game against Team USA.

I like Grotnes a lot, he has a butterfly style that would adapt very well to NHL style ... even wears his pads the same way as many butterfly goalies ...

A few things I notice he needs to work on is recovery speed ... he's slow getting back to his feet and he almost seems to labor ... he doesn't have the best conditioning in the world (although he has been worked harder than any Olympic goalie) and he also is not a strong stick or puck handler. I do like the way he competes, plays high up in his crease, stays very square to shots. In fact proof that he has conditioning issues could be seen in the fact he WAS pulled from the CANADA game after allowing only 4 goals against. It must be some kind of running issue with his game maybe??

I love to relate prospects and Europeans to NHL goalies. Grotnes is a mix between Michael Leighton and Chris Mason. Hope that gives some good insight on him!!!!!