Thread: Washingtons Goalie Situation going forward

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Washingtons Goalie Situation going forward

With 20 games left my guess would be theodore and varlamov being the main guys for the caps. Varlamov was ready to take the number 1 job before he got hurt. My guess would be 12 games for varlamov and 8 for theodore or something around that range. My question is is there a chance neuvirth could stay up and steal starts? Or could Varlamov take the majority of the starts? Im bound for wins and i know this team is gonna win games just dont wanna go out get theodore and have neuvirth stealing starts
    Last edited by sportsmaster4vr; February 18, 2010 at 11:44 AM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I personally don't expect to see Neuvirth again until next year (unless an injury of course).

In the offseason I believe they will let Theodore walk and roll with Varlamov/Neuvirth so that they can save money. I don't expect a veteran presence next year.
    15 Team Keeper (Y Roto Points, Daily Changes but only one waiver pick up per month)
    20 Players (Keep 10) Dress 8 F, 5 D, 1 Utility and 2 G
    Stats: G, A, P, PPP, Shots, SHP, Hits, PIM, +/- W, GAA, SV%, Saves, SO

Forwards Huberdeau, Svechnikov, Monahan, Cirelli, Suzuki, Backlund, Atkinson, J. Anderson, Hyman, Hayton, Dach & Byfield

Defensemen
    Rielly, Ekblad, Yandle, Giordano, Ekholm & Hanifin

Goalies
    Markstrom & Koskinen

Dobber Sports Wizard

If Healthy I would expect Varly gets every chance to get his job back.
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    I personally don't expect to see Neuvirth again until next year (unless an injury of course).

In the offseason I believe they will let Theodore walk and roll with Varlamov/Neuvirth so that they can save money. I don't expect a veteran presence next year.
    I feel that Pacman is 100% right.

I think that this year is Theo's last in Washington, and next year I feel that Neuvirth/Varlamov will be the net minders.

I've also got a sneaking suspicion that Neuvirth or Varlamov will be traded. A goalie THAT good (as both are) can fetch quite a bit on the trade front. With Holtby as well just sitting there, they've got 3 ELITE goalies just waiting for them.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Initiate

I like Chico's idea on what of the two youngsters getting moved, but neither one is really battle tested. While Varlamov is the man going forward, I think they want to have Neuvirth as the backup, and have them learn together. Realistically, Neuvirth has shown enough, that he is too good to be a backup, and while it may work for a year, he needs to be playing more than 20-25 starts a year. I think Theo walks, Varly starts, and Neuvirth backs up, getting 30-35 starts next year, and mostl likely more than that, if Varlamov proves to be as injury prone as he has shown. In a year or so, if Holtby looks like the real deal, they move hiim or Neuvirth at that point.

Puck
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Chico Resch View Post
    I feel that Pacman is 100% right.

I think that this year is Theo's last in Washington, and next year I feel that Neuvirth/Varlamov will be the net minders.

I've also got a sneaking suspicion that Neuvirth or Varlamov will be traded. A goalie THAT good (as both are) can fetch quite a bit on the trade front. With Holtby as well just sitting there, they've got 3 ELITE goalies just waiting for them.
    With the glut of NHL level goalies out there, I very much doubt the Caps get a huge return on them.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Barring injury/trade, Neuvirth won't be getting any more starts with the big club this season (much to my disappointment). Theo is done there after this year, and they'll roll with Varly/Neuvirth. If Varly stays healthy, I expect him to start 50-55 games, with Neuvirth getting 32-27 starts. Varly has injury worries though, so we'll see if that holds up.
    I'm sure the Caps will be shopping one of them eventually, and I think they can get some decent stuff for them. Chicago, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Edmonton could all be looking for a young goalie next year.
    12 Team Keeper League, 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 1G, 6 BN, 3 IR
    Keep 20 players
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GA, SV, SO

C: Toews, Skinner, Eller, Hertl, Granlund, Jenner, Lindholm
    LW: Boedker, Galchenyuk, Silfverberg, M. Richards
    RW: Yakupov, Nichushkin, Gaborik, Setoguchi, Niederreiter
    D: Karlsson, Subban, Goligoski, D. Kulikov, Carlson, Brodin, Trouba
    G: Price, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Icon

From what Ive heard/Read I wouldnt be surprised if wash added a veteran Goalie for the stretchrun. They feel they are ready to make a run for the cup(And why not?).

The question is can they have that confidence going into the playoffs with Theo and Varly as their tenders. I wouldnt think so.

Keep in mind this also has its basis in the fact that they have nice trading pieces in prospects Neuvirth, Carlson etc(Alot of teams are interested and theirs much talk). I wouldntnt put it past Wash to give up atleast one of them in a deal to acquire a vet Def and/or Goalie.

And I dont see Wash going into next season with 2 young Goalies. Great teams rarely do that(even with the cap).

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think a veteran D man is who they target, and not so much a veteran goalie. I see the need for one over Theo, but who can they nab that's available? Giggy would have worked, but his in TO now. Do you target Turco? He's had zero postseason success, and I don't know why you'd trust him any more then Theo. Their records in the playoffs are similar, as are their Save %. I don't know if there's another vet out their with better playoff experience then Theo. I think they'd love to nab a guy who has had more success, but I think they'll nab their vet Dman, and run with that. Just my thoughts.
    12 Team Keeper League, 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 1G, 6 BN, 3 IR
    Keep 20 players
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GA, SV, SO

C: Toews, Skinner, Eller, Hertl, Granlund, Jenner, Lindholm
    LW: Boedker, Galchenyuk, Silfverberg, M. Richards
    RW: Yakupov, Nichushkin, Gaborik, Setoguchi, Niederreiter
    D: Karlsson, Subban, Goligoski, D. Kulikov, Carlson, Brodin, Trouba
    G: Price, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Wizard

The speculation I heard on the radio, (AM640) speculation mind you, not rumor, was that they would love to land Vokoun at the deadline.

Considering that Luongo only cost Bertuzzi, Allen and Auld, what does Vokoun go for? lol
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    . I wouldntnt put it past Wash to give up atleast one of them in a deal to acquire a vet Def and/or Goalie.

This is why I said and/or. I think they'll keep a real eye on Varly(Certainly his health may be a concern too).

But yes I think a vet puck moving def would be a priority.

Ahhhh I could dream about TKaberle(perfect fit) lifting his ntc....wonder what he could fetch.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by 93213 View Post
    The speculation I heard on the radio, (AM640) speculation mind you, not rumor, was that they would love to land Vokoun at the deadline.

Considering that Luongo only cost Bertuzzi, Allen and Auld, what does Vokoun go for? lol
    I can't see Florida trading Vokoun to a divisional rival.

The Airborne Attack
    (GFHL - 14 Team Keeper League 2016 Champions)

F: McDavid, Laine, Monahan, Simmonds, van Riemsdyk, Granlund, Schwartz, Kreider, Oshie, Trochek, Bjugstad
    D: Ekman Larsson, Carlson, Ristolainen, Parayko, Skjei, Ekblad, McNabb
    G: Price, Rinne, Halak, Montoya

Farm: Dvorak, Kaprizov, Ritchie, Rattie, Chabot, Carrick, Johns, Hutton, Sorokin

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by elevatemysoul View Post
    I can't see Florida trading Vokoun to a divisional rival.
    I dont know that that would matter right now considering Floridas situation

Dobber Sports Recruit

Washington has a better chance getting Thomas than getting Vokun at this point and it certainly isn't out of the question