Thread: Has Rask passed Thomas?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Has Rask passed Thomas?

I am trying to decide whether or not to keep Thomas or drop him and pick up Halak in my league. I am assuming Boston is gonna give Rask the majority of starts down the stretch due to his recent play, and the same goes for Montreal with Halak. What are your thoughts? (league info in my sig)
    1 year, 9 team points league, each night play 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, with 4 bench and one IR
    G=3, A=2 +/-=1, PPP=1, SHG=3, GWG=1 SOG=.1, W=2, GA=-1, SV=.2, SHO=4
    C - E. Staal, M. Johansson (C,LW), P. Sharp (C,LW), K. Turris
    LW - R. O'Reilly (C,LW), T. Vanek (LW,RW), A. Steen (C,LW), M. Lucic
    RW - E. Malkin (C,RW), J. Pominville, S. Doan (LW,RW), Ju. Williams
    D - B. Burns (RW,D), Z. Chara, D. Phaneuf, J. Garrison
    G - J. Quick, C. Crawford, S. Varlamov

Banned

I would drop Staal or Versteeg for Halak, and keep Thomas for now since he may get traded at the deadline (well, rumour has it...). Halak would immdeiately become your second best goalie.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I think drop in this order:
    Versteeg
    Staal
    Antropov

Keep thomas, get halak though. Thomas has the veteran experience, Boston may try to get him going for the playoffs (that is if they make it). Halak is pretty much the No. 1 in Montreal, he'll be great for your goal tending stats.

Dobber Sports Stud

I didnt wanna start a new thread about Thomas.

Id hang on to him,,if he gets traded, im assuming its for him to start w/ that team. But yeah, Rask will probably take over more and more unless Thomas gets his game shape back (if he ever had it!)

as per CBSsports.com :It's hard to believe Boston is already willing to part with Thomas after he won the top goalie honors in 2008-09 and signed a four-year extension last season. But Rask has been outplaying Thomas for most of the 2009-10 campaign and Boston might be ready to look toward the future. Thomas is 35 years old, but the trouble is that he has a no-trade clause and would have to waive it. Two possible destinations for Thomas could be Chicago and Dallas. It will be interesting to see if Thomas is moved before the March 3 deadline.
    Fantasy Hockey Keeper Leagues
    {Linden Cup Year 9: 16 GM Points only - Hockeydraft} "Back 2 Back Champions!"
    {TBIM Year 3: 18 GM H2H - Fantrax}
    {NFHA II Inaugural Year 1: 20 GM Roto Salary cap- Fantrax}
    {ZFHL Year 1: 30 GM Roto Salary cap - Fantrax}
    {NHDL Year 1: 16 GM H2H - Fantrax}

Dobber Sports All-Star

Rask has definitely out played him as of late, but I dont think that he's attained true #1 status as of yet. All it will take is a sloppy start by Rask, followed by a great start by Thomas and you're in deep again.

Rask is no doubt the goalie of the future; only thing is that the future seems a little bit losed every day.

just my $.02
    on fantasy hockey hiatus!!!

Dobber Sports Pro

drop Jordan Staal. You can line up Antro or Marleau at C for extra games if need be. As Fow is not a cat for you that is of no significance to you. Staal is a defined 3rd liner while all of your other options at centre are top 6 forwards.

Staal would have no worth really outside of the SHP cat and with kessler, hossa, and richards you are in good shape there.
    14 team league - 16 Keepers max 2 goalies - G,A,P,+/-,PPP,SHP,SOG,PIM, FW, W, GAA,SV, SV%, SHO

Use the Schwartz

C: Mike Richards (lw) Henrik Sedin, Strome, Kuznetsov
    RW: Iginla, Voracek, Eriksson (lw), Gagner (c)
    LW: Parise, Nash, Schwartz
    D: Karlsson, Barrie, Hedman
    G: Luongo, Crawford

might dump one of eriksson or gagner to keep Leddy

@Rusty_Pickles Tweet Tweet.

Dobber Sports Ace

3 more years @ 5m cap hit for a 35 year old backup goalie? I don't see him being moved, cause he has such negative value, unless Boston is going to move a 1st with him, which obviously wont happen. Cap space is just way too valuable.

I'm actually fully expecting Boston (or some team that they trade him+pick to) to buy him out in the off season.

Anyways, I don't know if he's worth dropping, because all it takes is one streak (good for thomas, or bad for rask) for things to change again. Not many (me included) expected Rask to take over this quickly.
    Weekly H2H
    G / A / P / +- / PowerPlayPoints / Shots / Goalie Wins / GAA / Save%

Dobber Sports Wizard

After the break who knows what will happen. Thomas is last year's Vezina winner with a huge contract. They aren't going to put him out to pasture just yet.
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by duducks View Post
    I'm actually fully expecting Boston (or some team that they trade him+pick to) to buy him out in the off season.
    Really? I mean, it's not like Thomas has been awful or anything... he just hasn't lived up to the ridiculous expectations he created last season. Rask has outplayed him, yes, but Thomas, even this season, has been a very capable goalie, and though he does have a high cap hit, that doesn't mean he's now so bad that he has to be bought out. He hasn't approached anywhere near Raycroft territory yet.

I think the Bruins just ride the hot hand from here on out (and right now, that'd be Rask). If Thomas continues to be mediocre though, and the Bruins are really desperate for some extra cap space, MAYBE they'll buy him out... next off-season. It's just really premature to cut ties with a goalie who won the Vezina last season and who hasn't been all that bad this season.

In response to the question though, I would agree with what others have said - keep Thomas, but drop someone like J. Staal for Halak. All it takes is one or two opportunities for Thomas to regain his starting role - don't give up too soon.
    Salary-capped 30-team keeper pool

C: Lecavalier, O. Jokinen, Sobotka, Prust, Stone, Colborne, Skinner
    LW: Ott, Kariya, Filatov, Zharkov, Tambellini, Duco
    RW: Mueller, Kostitsyn, Vrbata, Neil, Zharkov, Petrov
    D: Phaneuf, Karlsson, White, Del Zotto, Foster, A. Greene, Babchuk, Goncharov, Josi, MacDonald, Ness
    G: Rask, Thomas, Holtby

FW Stats: P 2, +/- 2, PIM 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, GWG 2
    D Stats: P 4, +/- 2, PIM 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, GWG 2
    G Stats: W 10, L 0, OTL 5, SO 10, A 10, PIM 1

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by duducks View Post
    3 more years @ 5m cap hit for a 35 year old backup goalie? I don't see him being moved, cause he has such negative value, unless Boston is going to move a 1st with him, which obviously wont happen. Cap space is just way too valuable.

Anyways, I don't know if he's worth dropping, because all it takes is one streak (good for thomas, or bad for rask) for things to change again. Not many (me included) expected Rask to take over this quickly.
    thought you couldn't buy out players who signed their contract when they were 35 yrs old.

Dobber Sports Initiate

No one know what will happen in this situation - it is all based on hopes and guesses. Just because Thomas has a large contract does not guarantee he gets the starting goalie gig. If Rask continues to play well - he will continue to see time in the nets.

It's not like Thomas at 35 has had 8-10 great years for his track record - he has had two solid years, and there is an argument that this was due to the team and the system. Three years ago he had a GAA over 3 - this looks more like someone who had a couple of good years and he is nothing special (happens all the time in sports). Would be great if a stat on "quality shots" was added. Similar to quality starts in Baseball - would be a better indicator of how good an actual player is. My guess is that Thomas sees many more "easy" shots than other goalies in the current system.

Just my thoughts...
    Scooter
    -------------------------------------------------
    C - Hughes (C/LW), Mackinnon (C), Ek (C),
    LW - Stutzle (LW), Raymond (LW/RW), Joshua (C/LW)
    RW - Rantanen (RW), Giouroux (C/RW). Bjorkstrand (RW), Mantha (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Makar, Seider, L Hughes, Matheson, Faber
    G - Saros, Levi, Luukkonen
    IR -
    -------------------------------------------------
    12 team league - 19 on Roster (+4 IR)
    8 keepers, 5 bench, Weekly H2H league,
    11 cat's G,A,PPP,+/-,SOG,PIM,GWG,Hits & W,SV%,GAA
    2 Start at C, LW,RW and G and 4 D.
    55 Moves Regular Season (re-set to 8 for Play-Offs)
    Daily Line-Up Changes[/SIZE][/FONT]