Thread: Peters

The King of Diatribes

Default Peters

Six years in the minors and finally FINALLY FINALLY gets his first career start and did an amazing job.

Very similar to Khudobin, his experiences over the last few years has paid off and made them both seem like veterans in there.

I said at the beginning of the year that signing Legace was a terrible move because Peters was ready and a legitimate goalie should have gotten a shot. Now he finally did ... months later ... and it has to feel DAMN good for him to get the win. Good for him.

Two goalies getting their first career start and both getting wins. AWESOME night.

Banned

so what do you think his outlook is like Justin? Certainly he has a good opportunity to get his feet wet this year, but he's got a pretty good goalie ahead of him on the depth chart. Where do you place him talent-wise?

Dobber Sports Guru

watched both postgame interviews with these two guys and it was really cool to see their honest excitement.

The King of Diatribes

Loved both post-game interviews as well!!! Really interesting with Peters, as he was close to tears. I loved that. I think everyone can see the amount of work that goes into making it to the NHL. He seemed emotionally relieved to an immense degree. Imagine being 6 years in the minors and waiting that long to get a chance you KNOW you deserve. (OH WAIT that's Weiman.)

This is again another example of why I will always stress to give prospects a chance EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. One game is all it takes to turn a quality talented prospect into a winner for years. The confidence gained by realizing you are "NHL-ready" is unlike nothing I've ever seen before. Steve Mason last year, Jonas Hiller, Pekka Rinne .... they come up and get early confidence with one or two big wins and BOOM it goes up from there and skyrockets. Doesn't always work out, but the ones I've pointed out as having ELITE skill in certain areas have indeed turned out to be elite young stars.

That being said, Peters is not an ELITE talent, but he has the potential. He has great size, quick feet, good composure, etc, etc. I wouldn't say it's GREAT or AWESOME but it's GOOD. He's a bonafide backup NHL goalie and if he continues to work hard (especially under Barasso) he could be a starter if he works REALLY hard.

I would say he's kind of like an Alex Auld or something. Not sure what's up with Legace's deal but I am pretty sure you can expect Peters to be backing up Ward next year. Mike Murphy can be an AHL starter and I'm not sure who they have in the ECHL but it would be really really smart for the Canes to give Peters a chance to win the backup job next year.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

pretty solid second outing for Peters

thoughts?

The King of Diatribes

I knew he was capable of playing well at the NHL level. I just like to take everyone back to the Manny Legace signing. I went crazy when it happened because not only was I raving about Leighton's ability to handle the load, but I knew Peters was ready to take the next step.

Kind of funny how it has come full circle now. Rutherford is pretty oblivious when it comes to the potential of his goalie prospects. Oh well.

Pretty good chance that Peters is Ward's backup next year.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

When do you expect Murphy to finally hit the NHL? With Ward and Peters both being young and talented, will Murphy be trade bait or will he just sit in the minors forever?

The King of Diatribes

I have no idea.

All I can do is guess like the rest of you and let you know how things are happening right now or in the very near future. So yeah, I expect Peters to be backing up Ward next year and that will make Murphy a starter in Albany. But there's a chance Carolina signs a veteran backup for cheap...they shouldn't though.

Murphy will excel as a starter since he's coming off a strong rookie season and probably post some really good statistics.