Thread: Picking up Giguere?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Picking up Giguere?

Is it worth picking up Giguere from the waivers now that he is in Toronto? Leafs' defense might improve with Phaneuf...
    8 team league
    G, A, PTS, PPP, HIT, BLK, DEF
    W, GAA, SV%

Administrator

Leafs won't improve defensively with Phaneuf who is a real turnover machine. His physical play will help, but the Leafs already have a big problem with own-zone turnovers and I don't see that improving.

The only thing I see improving with Giguere is the fact that he'll get more consecutive starts. So he could get rolling.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

It might improve a little but if you are looking for WINS, I would look somewhere else.
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Making a grab for Giggie was not the first thing that crossed my mind with these trades. I think his situation is likely a little better for getting starts but did the Leafs get miraculously better?, because owning a Leaf goalie hasn't been a prize winner so far this season.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Two things to consider about picking up Giguere.

1) he'll get more consistent playing time in Toronto; that should help him settle into a rythym.
    2) he's reunited with his former goalie coach, Francois Allaire; when he was putting up solid fantasy numbers he was under his tutelage.

Now, if you're looking for Giggy to cure your goaltending woes, probably not going to happen. However, if your looking to pair him up with another solid starter down the stretch, I think that you can get some decent stats from him.

just my $.02
    on fantasy hockey hiatus!!!

Dobber Sports Icon

I have Giguere in my keeper league mainly because I have been struggling goalie wise all season with Thomas/Hiller. Brought in Giguere just to make sure I was getting the minimum number of starts.

I think he will improve being back with his old goaltending coach. He may not get many wins but his GAA and SV% should improve (it can't get much worse).

That being said, I still through him on the trading block this morning to see if any leafs fans will snap him up.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Stud

It'll probably help Giguere as he won't keep getting thrown in cold turkey against San Jose, Chicago, and Washington. It's almost like anaheim wanted to preserve Hiller's confidence so they would slot Giggy in when those teams came to visit.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.