Thread: Thomas...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Thomas...

I have been considering dropping Thomas (1 year roto, W,GAA,SV%,SHO) for the last two weeks but never actually convinced myself that it was the proper thing to do. So this morning I figured that if one person could convince me to do it, it had to be Justin.

Tim Thomas, bump in the road in January (only 3 wins, 2.87, .906)

FAs:
    Cam Ward, stellar play in January (8 wins, 2.02, .938)
    Chris Mason, not too shabby either, and I know Justin had this guy pegged as a late season performer (5 wins, 2.09, .927)
    Jonas Hiller, pretty good in January but high GAA (8 wins, 2.51, .922)

Basically, if I had dropped Thomas and picked up Ward at the beginning of the month, I'd be pretty much sitting at the top of every goalie category in my league which would give me first position overall. So, I'd like your opinion on my goalie situation. I own Luongo, Bryzgalov, Thomas and Emery and have Varlamov stashed on IR. Is there any brilliant move to make to get me my first position?

By the way, Justin, I know you told me to drop Emery for Mason a couple of weeks ago, but I can't bring myself to do that. It seems to me Philadelphia is just too talented not to win most of the games down the stretch and Emery hasn't looked too bad since coming back from injury.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for your advice!

The King of Diatribes

Should be pretty easy for you to drop Thomas for Hiller. When TT is on ... he is ON. When TT is off ... it's like watching a seal getting clubbed. Not pretty. TT has struggled with timing this season and it wasn't something I expected to linger this deep into the season. But I think it was clearly a situation that had a chance to arise. You see this with a lot of veteran goalies that are used to playing a lot, don't get the same minutes, then struggle. It is happening right now in fact with Dwayne Roloson. He was amazing until DiPietro returned and now his timing is all janky and he's not as effective. Same thing happening with TT.

So Hiller now has established himself and I'm surprised he's still a FA. I would drop Thomas for Hiller since you already have good goalies in Bryz and Luongo.

TT could turn it around but he's wishy-washy and Hiller has been very consistent over the last month. Should be an easy move!