Thread: Halak vs. Price

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Halak vs. Price

Dobber Sports Initiate

Great read shoeless.... thanks for posting.

it will be an interesting debate on which one the Canadiens should move. (move Halak due to Price's pedigree and upside? or move Price due to the great return they would get)

Washington will be in a similar boat next year around this time (but both of their goalies have equally great numbers in junior and the nhl) should be interesting as well.

SK

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks for posting that Shoeless. I thought that was the one that I had already read and I sighed But alas, it was yet another interesting insight.

Chris Boyle IS the best writer in FH.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'll preface this with the fact that I am a Halak owner in my main league, BUT have Carey Price in 2 of my other leagues, so I have no main biases. I also have no loyalty to the Habs.

Great article, however I don't know if I 100% agree with not factoring on win pctg in the final argument. Goalies are not ONLY for stopping the puck. They are the eyes in the back of a defencemen's head letting them know how many forcheckers are coming and how fast. They are the 3rd defensemen that helps move the puck getting assists every now and then. They are a morale builder, allowing teams that trust their tender when they decide to pinch just that one extra time on the blue line knowing that a confident goaltender is behind them.

I agree with statistics being used to determine good play, but I do not believe in statistics leading to good play. Playing a tender because their numbers look better is not right when said tender who's numbers look better lost all his games. There are just too many "human" factors that are un-measurable in the game of hockey.

The facts are the facts, Halak is winning games, play him. It doesn't matter if his save pctg is lower or anything like that, but something about playing Halak is helping the Habs, and until it isn't any longer, he has to be your number 1 for now.
    In too many leagues for too much money to put my teams in my signature anymore

Dobber Sports Guru

was just coming here to post that link. great article.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Annnd like he said in the article -- That something is the fact that Halak tends to play against 'lesser' teams than Price. Their numbers are similar when playing against teams of similar strength.

That said - right now Halak is also mentally stronger than Price is. Although I commend Price for being able to bounce back so well, even after the BS he has to put up with in Montreal.

He will be a league leader and an amazing goalie in a few years if he were to be traded to a different team. THAT would be sick.

-- Also worth noting, that I don't own ANY Habs goalies. AND I think Price is a douche. Halak - Smeh. But Price - douche... and incredibly talented douche