Thread: Want to expand my pool from 10 to 12 teams, but how do I do it??

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Want to expand my pool from 10 to 12 teams, but how do I do it??

Hey guys, my current limited-keeper pool has 10 teams but as the GM I would like to expand it to 12 for next year. The league settings of my pool are below in my signature. Each current team keeps 6 players from the previous year. How would you go about in expanding the pool and adding the two new teams in a fair way so that the current managers don't feel like players are being taken from them or feel like next year's draft is being wrecked? Thanks in advance for all your input.
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

Dobber Sports Ace

i'm in but just have to ask 2 question

how many add/drop per week (have already add some problem with cycling)

money pool or not (if not i'm in)
    Member of Comish Dynasty 24 team (since the beginning) (Nordique)
    Member of King Of Hockey League (Columbus)
    Member of Great Dynasty (Colorado)
    Member of United Hockey League (Los Angeles)
    Member of Global Hockey league (since the beginning) (Washington)
    Member of Vnhl (Quebec)

Dobber Sports Initiate

My league is exploring expanding from 16 to 18 and are discussing it now. As comissh I suggested we cut back our keepers from 14 to 12 and then have a Supplemental Expansion Draft for the new teams, just like the NHL does and limit the # of players that can be selected from one team. So for example, if you lose 2 players then nobody else can be selected from your team, until each expansion team has 14 players to protect going into the draft. We are also thinking that for the draft we will give the expansion teams the 6&7 overall picks in each round, that way the teams who finish in the bottom 5 do not get their top picks taken and it also makes it harder for the new teams to compete right away just like it should. Of course with you having so few keepers, your draft is a lot more important and have a higher quality player available so you have to adjust where the new teams pick, probably 11 & 12 of each round. I would still let your GMs protect 6 and then have an expansion draft for all remaining players with your positional requirements the same. It will take 12 quality players out of your draft but this way your current teams do not feel as though they are losing out on anyone and it will ensure that the new teams draft carefully to adjust to their draft positions.

Looking at your team you would be leaving players like Getzlaf,Phaneuf and Lundy possibly available which is amazing for an expansion team to start with.
    Last edited by bizzy; January 8, 2010 at 2:34 PM.
    16 GMs with 15 Keepers, Pts only, Top 9F,4D,1G count
    2020 & 2013 UFHL Champion

McDavid/Draisatl/Scheifele/Malkin/Marchand/
    Hall/Voracek/Nugent-Hopkins/Bergeron/Giroux

Hedman/Hamilton/Doughty/Ellis/Nurse

Grubauer