Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Olympics Goaltending

The King of Diatribes

Talking Olympics Goaltending

So like I did with the 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs, I'll be setting up a "Beast Tracker" grid that breaks down all of the important stats regarding the 2010 Winter Olympics. I am a massive, massive fan and I can't wait to see how these goalies do on a world-wide stage. Not only is it fun to watch, for some of the younger goalies like Jonas Hiller and Thomas Greiss, it can have a major impact on their short and long-term play.

Feel free to discuss Olympic goaltending right here in School of Block! I have to say that I'll have my eyes on Hiller and Greiss the most but tons of things to watch for, especially Team Finland!

TEAM USA
    - Miller
    - Thomas
    - Quick

TEAM CANADA
    - Brodeur
    - Luongo
    - Fleury

TEAM FINLAND
    - Kiprusoff
    - Backstrom
    - Niittymaki (2006 Tournament MVP)

TEAM GERMANY
    - Greiss
    - Patzold
    - Endras

TEAM SWEDEN
    - Lundqvist
    - Gustavsson
    - Liv

TEAM SWITZERLAND
    - Hiller
    - Gerber
    - Stephan

TEAM CZECH REPUBLIC
    - Pavelec
    - Vokoun
    - Stepanek
    (Might see Hasek added in here??? 3 games, 3 GA, 3 wins since return from injury ... wearing old pads from DET days)

TEAM RUSSIA
    - Nabokov
    - Bryzgalov
    - Varlamov

TEAM SLOVAKIA
    - Halak
    - Budaj
    - Stana

TEAM LATVIA
    - Masalskis
    - Mustukovs
    - Naumovs

TEAM BELARUS
    - Mezin
    - Koval
    - Malyutin

TEAM NORWAY
    - Grotnes
    - Lysenstoen
    - Smith

The King of Diatribes

ALLRIGHT!!!! Welcome to the 2010 Winter Olympics, everyone. I have been looking forward to this day for MONTHS!!!!

Although it's not ENTIRELY complete (probably wont be until School of Block is posted on Monday) here is a sneak peek at my OLYMPICS GOALTENDING NOTEBOOK.

http://www.thegoalieguild.com/?page_id=3089

Alongside daily posts on goaltending in the Olympics, this page will house another Beast Tracker, like the one I did for the 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs. This one is much easier to manage since it's through Excel and not Photoshop, so check back for daily updates on the stats that truly matter!!

I will also be posting game and scouting reports on every goalie I watch over the tournament.

There will be a series of Live Chats set up as well to talk Olympics, goaltending, even answer fantasy questions related to your teams. Probably hold one every couple of days.

There will also be a resource section with links to great stories and articles on Olympic goalies!

The King of Diatribes

I am working on my first notebook entry for the Olympics and it will be on the potential surprise performances/goalies. I would definitely keep your eyes on Greiss and Hiller for Germany and Switzerland.

The King of Diatribes

Jonas Hiller's New Olympics Mask

http://www.thegoalieguild.com/?p=3155

School of Block coming tomorrow!

The King of Diatribes

Posted a few more articles in the Goalie Notebook.

LIVE CHAT STARTING IN 30 MINUTES FOR THE US-SWITZERLAND GAME.

http://www.thegoalieguild.com/?page_id=1174

Then I can finally start filling out my Beast Tracker and do scouting reports!

The King of Diatribes

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Just thought you would like to know... According to Russo, Backstrom will start start Friday's Finland game vs. Germany.

The King of Diatribes

Cool thanks!!!

I have been searching high and low for PP shots but they are not being recorded by any of the Olympics websites. Does anyone know of a resource where I can find PP shots for teams? Also since there are no play-by-play charts like they have with the NHL playoffs, I can't determine 1up and 1down save percentages =( sad!!!!

Hopefully you are all liking the notebook and the scouting reports! I'll try to do at least 2 of the 3 daily games. Last night I had to watch that Russia game for fun it was a really long day. But I'm on top of a few more games today!

The King of Diatribes

GREAT JONAS HILLER NOTEBOOK ENTRY

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=518019

Really good insight on his game against Team USA.

The King of Diatribes

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

According to ingoalmag.com, it would seem that Niittymaki won't see any action in Vancouver after all.

Jalonen said Kiprusoff will start Wednesday against Belarus, Niklas Backstrom of the Minnesota Wild will play on Friday against Germany, and “from then on the plan is that Kiprusoff is playing.” That means Antero Niittymaki, who backstopped Finland to silver at the 2006 Winter Games in Turin and has been one of the NHL’s hottest goaltenders over the last month for the Tampa Bay Lightning, won’t play a game in Vancouver.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by jasdou View Post
    According to ingoalmag.com, it would seem that Niittymaki won't see any action in Vancouver after all.
    Dammit! That's kinda ****ed up...I dont care how good Kiprusoff and Backstrom are...let Niitty play!!!!
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Sage

Also, what gives with Jonas Hiller's mask for the Olympics? It's about 1000x better than his Anaheim Ducks mask. That thing is one of the ugliest NHL masks I've ever seen...unless there's some hidden significance behind that I am unaware of...GG, what do you think?
    @tlucarelli on twitter

The King of Diatribes

FOCUSED START, STRONG FINISH - Reflections on Olympic goaltending so far.

http://www.thegoalieguild.com/?p=3220

I want Niitty to play, but that's what happens in a short tournament when you are the third goalie. Everyone in here knows Niitty is probably better suited to play over Backstrom, but that's just the way it goes.

I am good friends with Dave from InGoalMag and he is doing a great job with his website. It's more basic stuff but he has an accredited Olympic reporter doing some work for his site. So I trust the stuff I read on there when it comes to the Olympics.

But you gotta realize anything can change at any instant. I did NOT like Kiprusoff's game last night and I hope Backstrom plays well so the decision is tough for Finland moving forward.

The King of Diatribes

A lot of people hate Hiller's mask for the Ducks right now but I actually love it. You have to look at it up close. Here's the story I did on it. From far away it looks like a blur, but up close its magnificent. First mask with holographic colors. It changes as it moves. It's amazing and really different. IT doesn't look good from afar but check out the photos Alec from Airxess sent me and maybe your opinion will change just a little bit. The guy is a genius and he pushes the envelope when it comes to airbrush artwork.

http://www.thegoalieguild.com/?p=2276

AIRXESS, THE NEXT 15 YEARS, HILLER'S NEW DUCKS MASK