Thread: Somewhat risky trade - I would like opinions

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Somewhat risky trade - I would like opinions

Here is my situation:

I was planning on dropping Sheldon Souray for Andrei Markov, but someone got to Markov first (I was literally seconds late). However, he's expressed interest in trading him for Sheldon Souray and one of my LWs.

My LWs viable for trade are: Hagman (Leafs), Fleischmann (Caps), and Simone Gagne (Philly). Gagne is still on my IR, but set to come back this week - and I have to decide to either keep him or drop him (over both Hagman and Fleischmann). This trade might give me a unique opportunity, because I'm reluctant to drop either of those LWs for Gagne, especially since I already have two Philly players (Briere and Pronger) and if they DON'T pick it up then I'll be deep in the suck.

Hagman: 13 points in 12 games. He's very hot and has a +6 rating this month for the Leafs.

Fleischmann: 8 points in 8 games. He was brilliant in the beginning of the season, tailed off a bit, but now seems to be playing extraordinarily well. He also has LW,RW designation in yahoo - in my tight league format this adds considerable value.

Gagne: 5 points in 9 games to start the season. He's coming into a spiralling Philly team - but could be the catalyst they need to turn their season around. His last season was fantastic, so we know what he's capable of - but do the risks justify dropping either Hagman or Fleischmann to make room for him? Also, remember that I would be rolling 3 Philly players if I Keep Gagne.

The trade could be:

Souray + either Gagne, Fleischmann, or Hagman for Markov

The trade may end up looking lopsided, but I was going to drop Souray for Markov anyway and I MUST drop one of those three LWs anyway.

What would you do? I'm at a loss. I can argue myself into any of those options.

I appreciate your help.
    Last edited by The NHL Rant; December 14, 2009 at 9:32 PM.
    One year, H2H, 10-man, standard categories + FW.
    LWx2, Cx2, RWx2, Dx4, Gx2, BNx4

C: Savard, Stastny, O. Jokinen
    LW: Parise, Simone Gagne, M. Raymond
    RW: St. Louis, Fleischmann (C,LW,RW), Sharp (C,RW)
    D: Chara, Pronger, Gonchar

G: Fleury, Halak, Price, C. Mason

Dobber Sports Novice

My bad - I overlooked the trades forum. I should have posted this there.

Administrator

Thread moved. Though it isn't a huge deal. I'd suggest adjusting your signature though, it's rather lengthy.

Anyways, as for the trade. The only LW I'd consider including is Hagman. The other guys are ones you will most certainly want to keep and Markov is certainly not so much of an upgrade over Souray to warrant giving up anyone better than Hagman.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ace

Regardless of where you posted it, I would go for the trade. Markov will be an improvement over Souray without a doubt. The next question is who to drop. I would heavily advise against dropping Gange, the Flyers will have to pick it up at some point and he's guaranteed top 6 minutes.

I am having a hard time choosing between the other two because they are both playing so well. I watch Hagman on a regular basis as a Leafs fan and he always looks solid out there, so I don't consider it a streaky thing, althoguh it would be foolish to expect him to keep up the pace. I would probably go with Fleischmann though, beause despite Knuble being back, he is still playing top 6 minutes and it was Fehr that appears to have dropped out. Fleischmann should be a good scorer for you the rest of the way. Only time will tell the difference between the two come season's end, but I'm sure it will probably be minute.
    12 team roto with 6 keepers, G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG, W SV% SHO
    C-Crosby Spezza Connolly
    L-Smyth Rolston Malone Sullivan
    R-Hemsky Ryan Ryder Backes Fleischmann Cleary
    D-Phaneuf Rafalski Whitney Pitkanen
    G-Lundqvist Bryzgalov Theodore Rinne

Dobber Sports Novice

So, if I understand correctly, that's two in favour of losing Hagman.

I am concerned about Markov not finding his stride right away. But Souray has been a +/- liability for me without much offensive benefit. The 24 PIM game he had last was nice, but that probably won't happen all year. Maybe he picks it up, but I believe in the long run Markov will net me more points.

Hagman is also really hot right now, and is a nice sell high option. It may be enough to prevent my trade partner from coming back at me asking for one of the other LWs instead.

I've reduced my signature. You're right, it was awkwardly long.
    Last edited by The NHL Rant; December 14, 2009 at 11:51 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The NHL Rant View Post
    I've reduced my signature. You're right, it was awkwardly long.
    Thanks!!!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I would do the trade. hagman and souray for markov. keep flash over hagman. the duel eligibility is the difference maker for me.
    10 Team H2H Daily moves
    Pos: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G, 7Bench, 2IR
    Cat: G,A,P,+/-,PIM,PPG,PPA,GWG,W,SA,SV%,SHO

C: Malkin(RW), Stepan, Mackinnon, Elias(LW)
    LW: Parise, Moulson, Downie(RW), Johansson(C)
    RW: Ovechkin, Wheeler, Vrbata, Clarkson
    D: Garrison, Wideman, Wisniewski, Zidlicky
    G: Howard, Varlamov, Giguere
    IR: Gagner(C,RW), Thomas