Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Michal Neuvirth

Dobber Sports Initiate

Whatever man, I can't stand people who refuse to look at the facts and can't admit that they may have been wrong.

My first reply was in response to this post

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    From what I've seen of him, Neuvirth does not strike me as an NHL goalie. I say this for two simple reasons: 1) he's way too small 2) intangibles

I'm no goalie expert but it seems to me if you take a goalie with average athleticism, but outstanding intangibles (e.g. mental toughness, knowing the shooters, playing the angles well and challenging the play) he is far more likely to be a consistent pro than a goalie like Neuvirth who has all the athleticism in the world, but is tiny like Allan Bester, gets easily rattled, hides deep in his net, and always drops to his knees too quickly.

I say this with great disappointment because I own Neuvy in one of my leagues and was hoping he'd be a starter for me in a couple years.

Neuvirth actually reminds me alot of Budaj... a big tease with loads of talent, but lacking all the intangibles to be a #1. And you can't exactly teach mental toughness or the memory to learn the shooters tendancies on the ice...
    Thats basically a write off - yes you corrected yourself afterwards, but that was after my reply.

I never said that mental toughness isn't an intangible either.

I said it is best to break down intangibles into categories. Generalizing gets you nowhere.

But you obviously didn't read my post anyway...

I apologize to you Justin for corrupting your forum
    Last edited by HyperScythe; December 14, 2009 at 1:58 PM.

The King of Diatribes

A few things:

1. There's no condesating talk in here. I don't think Hyperscythe is trying to come off like he's bashing or ridiculing what Gilmour is saying. Obviously two sides to the coin, both with beliefs in their own opinions. Nothing wrong with that.

2. This is not corrupting the forums and if anything, I wish there was more of this stuff. I say a lot of things about a lot of goalies in here and there is not enough debate. I welcome this kind of stuff. It may seem a little heated, but there's a strong level of respect in here and I will make sure it stays that way. Both of you are fine.

3. When I said Neuvy has "size issues" I only meant that he needs to learn (over time) how to play higher up in his crease. A 6-1 goalie in the AHL has to play differently in the NHL. Neuvirth can't get away playing in the same comfort zone as he has in the AHL. That might be the biggest key to his success in the NHL. But to be honest, every goalie has to adjust to this, regardless of how big or small they are. He's got DECENT size, same as Budaj, so he's not "small" by any means. He looks it, yes, because of his tight butterfly stance and style, but it's not to say his "lack of size" is going to hold him back. The only thing that will hold him back is if he doesn't exude some confidence and challenge shooters.

Hey, even Roberto Luongo struggled with depth in his crease at the beginning of the year, remember?? Part of the problem was the Canucks' defense not clearing out bodies in front, part of the problem was Luongo simply not taking advantage of his size and stepping up. It happens to EVERY goalie at EVERY level of all shapes and sizes. It can easily be fixed, but it's hard to stay consistent with that.

Neuvirth is going to get better with every game he plays. Debating whether or not he has the intangibles, the ability and the path to greatness is fun to discuss, but you have to recognize legit talent and technique and know what other aspects are dynamic and change on a game-to-game basis.

*I just sent in School of Block for this week (Lost in Translation). Read it. Continue to discuss goalie prospects in here. Allow me to help you decipher what is truly fact and what is circumstantial and what is possible. That's something only a goalie scout can do for you in the world of fantasy hockey.

Dobber Sports Icon

Man Ive been trying to get him but the other owner is holding out. I offered him GBrule but thou he considered it he preferred a young G to a young C.

Super Moderator

Looks like he's going to get another chance this weekend as Boudreau said he wants to see more of him. I have a feeling he's going to have a great one. . . or maybe just hope. . .
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

The King of Diatribes

I am scouting the Avs game tonight, wishing he would start, but obviously it looks like Theodore is going to get a chance to face his former team. I expect that top line of Stastny, Wolski and Stewart to roast him...but we'll see!! Big statement game for Theodore regardless. But man I wish it was Neuvirth getting the start! Never seen him play in person but seen Theodore a million times.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

GG who do you think is the better pickup for next season, Neuvirth or Deslauriers?

The King of Diatribes

A lot could happen between now and then, but if I had to choose one right now, I'd go with Deslauriers, here's why:

1. Size. NOT THAT NEUVIRTH IS SMALL, but that Deslauriers is bigger than 6-4 200. He plays like a Luongo but he's quick like a Garon. Kid has amazing quickness for his size, or the other way around. That's the key - he has perfect combination of size and speed and he's very symmetrical in his play.

2. Games Played. Khabibulin will only be a year older, second in a 4-year deal. If he's healthy, I still expect Deslauriers to play at least 30 games. If he's injured, Deslauriers plays even more. And with consistent minutes comes a better chance for stronger rhythm.

3. NHL Experience. Neuvirth's game against Leafs is a perfect example of how a talented rookie can have very volatile fantasy value. Could be amazingly skilled, but without the experience, they will still fall victim to having to learn angles, positioning, etc that only comes with playing NHL games.

More reasons but yeah, you get the point I think!

Dobber Sports Icon

Id love to get your opinion on this deal involving(Me getting) MNeuvirth

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...636#post401636

Dobber Sports Genius

The rookie did well against Edmonton last night , 2 goals against and one was off his own players skate , (Anzer).I notice he's of the new breed where they tend to stay in the butterfly posistion longer while the play is in front of the net.Good way to cover a lot of the net but , leaves some holes up top.better odds though as I'm sure it's harder to pot it high up close as opposed to slipping it low in the corners.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Icon

Yeah I saw the first period myself but he didnt see alot of action imo.

My buddy in Edmonton went to the game and sat behind him for 2 periods. Said he looked very comfortable. Definitely a good sign.

Super Moderator

They're going back to Neuvirth tonight.

I like that they're giving him a few games in a row to see what he can do. Right way to do things, imo.

Here's a good read.

The King of Diatribes

Yep. Good move by the coaches. Consistent minutes.

Super Moderator

Another win and looked solid. He seems to have a gained a sense of calmness/confidence. He's going to be up next year for sure, imo.

Dobber Sports Icon

Dang U saw the game Smack?

Ive been trying to get this kid for a while now but the owner is a little reluctant...hmmm I wonder why.

The King of Diatribes

Calmness and composure are two of his best assets.

Just a refresher for everyone:

http://www.thegoalieguild.com/?p=736

The Great Deceiver - School of Block - June 8, 2009