Thread: 2006 Draft Top 15

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default 2006 Draft Top 15

I was looking at the top 15 of last year\'s draft (2006).

Skaters that didn\'t play yet in the league :

-E. Johnson, Toews, Backstrom, Brassard, Okposo, Mueller, Sheppard, Frolik, Little, Tlusty, Grabner.

Some are obvious that they are going to play in the NHL next season (the bold skaters). What about the others? Do we have big offensive skaters there that we should look at?
    QHL Stanley Cup champion 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09
    www.thephysicsofhockey.com

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re:2006 Draft Top 15

Derick Brassard:

With the way Colubmus loves to rui... rush their prospects, and the way in which Brassard was the Q\'s best player despite only playing a handful of games, I\'m going to say right now he makes the team out of camp. He\'ll only have a meager impact, though.

James Sheppard:

Minnesota does the opposite with offensive players, but Sheppard might be different. He spent the year working on his two-way game and is now a force in both zones. He\'s too good for the QMJHL at this point in time, and he\'ll start next year in the A, but don\'t doubt the Wild calling him up if they feel they need an early shakeup.

Bryan Little:

He\'s in the NHL next year. If he\'s anywhere outside the top line, he\'ll only put up a handful of points, but the Thrashers will keep him up to ensure they have good depth down the middle.

Kyle Okposo:

The Islanders flat out love this guy, but he didn\'t look too good at the WJCs. The smart choice would be for him to stay another year in the NCAA, otherwise the Isles run the risk of hurting his development.

Jiri Tlusty:

First he was hit with a mental setback when the Leafs decided he wasn\'t worth burning up a year of Entry Level status despite being very good in limited AHL action. Then he broke his ankle after going to the OHL. Will have a big year next year, but Toronto has shown that they won\'t bring him in until he\'s posting Wellwood-like numbers.

Michael Grabner:

Perfect future triggerman for the Sedins, but he is way too light to survive even the AHL right now. He\'d get the absolute snot pounded out of him. I can see him staying in the WHL as an overager.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I tottally agree with what MrBugg says, but does Frolik gonnas make the nhl next year?

Im really not sure about that...

I...am your father.

Frolik is several years away.

I\'m only 50/50 on Little making the team next year...but agree with everything else.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the comments.

The reason why I ask this question was because this was the way that I found Vanek. A couple of years ago, I was looking at the 2003 entry draft and wondering who this Vanek guy was. On the other hand, Staal, Horton, and Zherdev (from the same draft) were all hyped-up and playing.

By being a top 5 1st round pick I knew that Vanek should be good, and now it pays that I\'ve kept in my fantasy squad.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Now, if I look back at the 2004 entry draft. Blake Wheeler is in the top 5, and the only one that hasn\'t played in the NHL.

Was Gretzky right? Is this guy going to make the team next season? What kind of upside would he have?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

mrbugg wrote:
    James Sheppard:

Minnesota does the opposite with offensive players, but Sheppard might be different. He spent the year working on his two-way game and is now a force in both zones. He\'s too good for the QMJHL at this point in time, and he\'ll start next year in the A, but don\'t doubt the Wild calling him up if they feel they need an early shakeup.
    James Sheppard is and will be too young to play in the AHL next season. If you play Major Junior hockey (WHL, OHL, QMJHL), you have to be in your 20 th year of birth to play in the AHL. For example, next year if you play Major Junior, you have to be atleast a 1987 born to be able to play in the AHL. They have this rule in effect because many players would ditch there junior clubs to play in the AHL as early as possible. WHich is deemed unfair to the junior teams. So its either the NHL or the QMJHL for Sheppard.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Seems there\'s a consensus that Frolik will be in Florida next year, though. Does anyone see him getting top 6 minutes?

I...am your father.

He will not be in Florida next year - no way. Still two-three years away.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ace

No way Frolik is playing next year, hes too much of a 50/50 prospect who can become Jagr or become a complete bust. Considering the fact that he has some good talent around him in Jokinen,Olesz,Boumeester, he shouldnt become a complete bust. He has to up his game and his game or he will become like Nikolai Zherdev, so much hype,loads of talent but is stubborn and wont become that 80-90 pt player if he doesnt get his head in the game.

Next year will be big years for guys like Backstrom,Toews,Mueller who should all play some makor roles in their teams. And it will be a good year to look out for those prospects like Cam Barker,Brent Seabrook and Travis Zajac to have major impacts.

Jersey Girl

Default Zimmerman's contract talks

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...eWR_story.html

I am sure they will find a way to get it done. The Nats have come along way and are becoming a very good team. Without Zimmerman, it won't work. This contract extension has to get done!

Dobber Sports Recruit

Ryan Zimmerman said he's willing to sign a "team-friendly deal" because "I want to be here."

That would be great news for the Nats