Thread: \"Hockey Trades for Dummies\"

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default \"Hockey Trades for Dummies\"

Now there\'s a book I need to read. But until then, I could use some help with this trade offer in one of my 10-team roto leagues(currently in 1st place by 0.5 pt.):

I GET: Heatley/DiPietro/Recchi

I GIVE: Lundqvist/Pronger

I hate the thought of giving up Pronger. But I\'m reasonably solid on \"D\" with Gonchar, Meszaros, Zubov, Corvo, and Campoli (...and it would be nice to have both Thornton and Heatley).

My team:

G - Lundqvist/Ward/Leclaire/Hasek*

F - Thornton
    F - Prospal
    F - Comrie
    F - Boyes
    F - Morrison
    F - Brunette
    F - Getzlaf
    F - Wolski
    F - Afinogenov
    F - Vermette
    F - Zherdev

D - Murray
    D - Gonchar
    D - Zubov
    D - Pronger
    D - Campoli
    D - Meszaros
    D - Corvo

Dobber Sports Rookie

Anyone?? I could really use some expert insight on this one. Thanks!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

What is your league scoring categories, positional requirements & number of max games.

Also who would you drop if you accepted the trade? You have to factor that into the trade.

Dobber Sports Rookie

League scoring cats.:

Pts./GAA/SV% - G, A, +/-, PP+SH, DEF, PIM, SOG

Dobber Sports Apprentice

A couple of questions
    - This is a one year league?
    - How many forwards, defensemen & goalies can you have active?
    - What is the maximum number of games per position you can play & what is your current status?
    - What categories are you leading in & what do you need help in?
    - What does his team look like?

Looking at your team I see some players that are options to drop if you are inclined to take the deal.
    Morrison (Brendan?) & Zherdev are options to be dropped.

Dobber Sports Novice

I would do that deal if I were you. You\'re deep at both goalie and D and a little thin at F, so using your strengths to get you the consensus #2 forward and an above-average goalie is a good way to go about. Losing Lundqvist in this deal does hurt, as I think he is a lock to finish as one of the top 2 or 3 goalies this season.
    10 Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper

C - Crosby, Giroux, Kadri, Zajac, Bonino
    LW - Marleau, Kunitz, Ladd, Filppula
    RW - MacKinnon, Hossa, Voracek, Jagr
    D - Byfuglien, Suter, Josi
    G - Lehtonen, Halak, Hiller

Dobber Sports Rookie

Yeah, this is a one year ESPN league. So, the game limits are 164 for goalies, 738 for forwards, 410 for D-men, and there\'s a Utility slot that allows for 82 games. I can start as many as 9 forwards, 5 D-men, and 1 utility guy with 3 bench slots.

Actually, I dropped (Brendan) Morrison and Zherdev today for Nagy and Torres (primarily because he takes a ton of shots). I\'m rock solid in my goalie and defensive/pim stats, but really need a boost in SOG and could also use a bump in (+/-), goals, and assists.

My concern is that DiPietro is a huge drop from Lundqvist. With Hasek\'s lack of durability, this could really hurt. Three of the ten categories are goalie related.

I really appreciate any input from you guys. This is only my second year at fantasy hockey. So, I\'m wanting to avoid the proverbial \"sophomore\" slump.:&gt

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hi ERudited,

As much as I love Heatley in these pools, giving up essentially Lundqvist/Pronger for Heatley/DiPietro isn\'t worth it.

Lundqvist will be an absolute stud in GAA and SV% at year\'s end. Dipietro can\'t match Lundqvist\'s numbers because he\'s on a much inferior team.

Heatley may be the best fantasy player with your categories. I believe Def means defence points? If so, then Pronger is that much more valuable.

I wouldn\'t make the deal because if Lundqvist is gone, then you have to rely on Ward, Hasek, Leclaire and DiPietro. Too many question marks with that group.

As I said earlier, I love Heatley, but Pronger is pretty hard to replace. It would leave your defence (after Gonchar), fairly weak.

I wouldn\'t do it.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks, man. That\'s the analysis I was looking for. (I \"DECLINED\" the trade.) By the way, you guys are making this newb sound smart when responding to emails regarding offers. For that, I owe an invaluable debt of gratitude!