Thread: Valiquette out, CJ in

The King of Diatribes

Default Valiquette out, CJ in

So I'm sure all of you have heard about the Valiquette situation.

The latest I've heard is that salary cap issues prevented Vally from being sent down for conditioning because $725,000 would stay on the Rangers' cap.

First of all, why are they sending him down for conditioning?? He had one bad game.

I'm not surprised a number of teams are looking at Valiquette. He's a "big goalie with great fundamentals" so I'm sure he gets picked up.

Chad Johnson ... man what a story. Comes straight from the NCAA into the AHL and blows everyone away.

He has been overshadowed by Salak when it comes to rookie AHL goalies, but I like Johnson's upside and wonder if part of putting Vally on waivers has to do with giving Johnson an opportunity to play an NHL game or two - just to see what he's made of.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Backups aren't exactly a hard find so The Rangers are smart to give him a shot. Something most clubs don't do (give a young guy a shot). Maybe other NHL teams should take note!
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Apprentice

not dissing thid, but checking Cap #s...

Rangers as of today have only $152,882 in cap space left...

If Valiquette clears waivers and is assigned to Hartford or is claimed, Rangers save $492,098, bringing thier space to $644,980...

Johnson makes more than Valiquette, $850,000 to Vallys $725,000.

Theres 193 days in a season so Johnson costs $4404.14 per day. And the season is 62 days old, so he's lost $273,057 in his contact making him only cost $576,943 for the rest of the year giving the Rangers just $68,037 in cap space... when all is set and done...

With the news of Grachev going to the NHL soon the Rangers need cap space for $933,333 of Grachev's contract which is now (933,333 / 193 = 4836 X 131 =) $633, 516... They have the cap space for that with the Vally move... and then they can send down Pierre Parenteau or Brian Boyle and recall Mika Wiikman who is probebly pulling the "play me or I leave routine" and satisfy all parites as Johnson can get 60 games in the AHL this year to develop.

Edit: Figured I'd add More so people see what I've done with Wiikman and Parentaeu and Boyle... After Grachev's hit of $633,516 on the $644,980 space, Rangers have $11,464 left. Parenteau is worth $339,378 and Boyle is worth $356,347 the rest of the year, giving the Rangers between $350,842-367,811 in space for Wiikman who will only cost $368,225. currently that would put the Rangers over the cap by $17,383 or $414 depending on the send down. Every day that goes by these transactions become more freindly. and currently the Rangers are carrying 23 players on the roster with Redden DTD and Dubinsky on IR... My #s also make it easier to use Sanguinetti, Heikkinen, Sauer or Williams on D if needed, as they cost just less than Grachev and about same as Johnson... Should Johnson be the Goalie recalled, the Rangers could only afford to recall Cory Potter on D who hasnt really been as good as the others I've listed outside Williams...

I havent seen the move made official Johnson going up... so this could be the senario... or im just speaking out my ass... =)

eitherway... interesting debate and fun to crunch the #s!

this is what Fantasy Hockey is all about Eh Justin and Dobber!
    Last edited by Jason_Banks; December 2, 2009 at 5:40 PM. Reason: Info Add
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Stud

wow, outstanding cap stuff thanks

Johnson played very well in camp and there were more than a few rangers fans who were hoping he would make the club

Henrik is pulling his annual "swoon" and hasn't been stopping pucks the way rangers fans are used to. he is still all world but just doesn't seem to have consistency (same thing happened last year too)
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

think its possible CJ could get the start tomorrow vs. Detroit?
    18 team H2H, 10 keepers (max 2 goalies)
    Daily Roster: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 5BN, 2G, 2IR
    G,A,P,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,W,SV%,GAA,SHO