Thread: Dobber pool 2 - complaint about Burnsy\'s team

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Dobber pool 2 - complaint about Burnsy\'s team

So burnsy has 2 goalies that play every once in a while. I don\'t understand why they haven\'t been benched since the beginning of the season. It\'s too late, the damage is done. Since they play so rarely, he has a better GAA and save pct than several of the real teams, and it\'s skewing the scores.

They should never have started any games to begin with. Now the only thing he could do is pick up a truly awful goaltender and hope that he starts some games and brings the numbers up.

I don\'t understand why he picked any goaltenders at all - it\'s not required in the draft.

I\'ve posted about this in the past on the yahoo msg board, but no response, so I am trying here.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I don\'t understand what you\'re talking about.

Which two goalies?

Why does playing infrequently mean that they have low GAA and SV%? Couldn\'t those stats just as easily be bad?
    12 Team H2H Keeper League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    Start: C (2), LW (2), RW (2), D (4), G(2)
    Keep 3 F, 1 D, 1 G

C- H. Sedin, J. Thornton
    LW- Ovechkin, Heatley (RW), McDonald (C)
    RW- Giroux, Knuble, Skinner
    D- Doughty, Visnovsky, Karlsson
    G- Bryzgalov, Thomas, Rask, Bobrovsky, Pavelec, Leighton (IR)

Dobber Sports Expert

saywhaaaaat wrote:
    I don\'t understand what you\'re talking about.

Which two goalies?

Why does playing infrequently mean that they have low GAA and SV%? Couldn\'t those stats just as easily be bad?
    they both have 1 win with decent numbers. since they don\'t play very often their numbers will mostly likely either stay as is, or stay in the same neighbourhood. Since Burnsy\'s team isn\'t meant to be competitive at all, they should never leave the bench.

You are not in the league I am talking about, so I don\'t expect you to understand...

Dobber Sports Rookie

I\'ll bench them if it makes you happy but it makes no difference. It skews nothing as it doesn\'t affect your performance. If my save percentage is the best in the pool, then I get 13 points in that category, and everyone else goes from there. It stays relative in that everyone gets one less point than they should without me in the pool.

Dobber Sports Expert

It does make a difference in that it takes a point away from someone who is lower than you, while not affecting anyone higher than you in the category. Your save pct isn\'t the best in the pool, it\'s in the middle of the pack, thus hurting everyone below you.

With skaters it can also affect plus minus.

The damage for both of these categories has already been done. Benching the goaltenders won\'t make a difference now - they should have been benched from the start of the season. It\'s a moot point.

I make these suggestions in order to improve future iterations of the dobber pool.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yup I fully agree with repenttokyo. Hopefully this season won\'t come down to 1 or 2 points at the end.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hi guys, I may be talking out of line here, but the damage shouldn\'t be permanent if Burnsy can get enough bad starts and then benches his goalies (GAA/SV%)/skaters (for +/-).

It should take a little bit of work, but it should be doable. I\'d have fun trying to pick the worst guys. Where\'s Dan Cloutier and R.J. Umberger when you need them!?

If you need any help picking the best of the worst, you could always ask notch for some help:silly:
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

No the issue is his goalies have already had a couple starts. So the Wins are not going to effect anyone but the sv % and gaa are going to take away 1 point from everyone below him in the standings. Same thing goes for +/- (though +/- would have been an issue regardless, since some people are below 0 where Burnsy started.)

Right now 5 players trail Burnsy in Save % and 7 trail Burnsy in GAA.

EDIT: Again this hopefully won\'t be an issue, hopefully it doesn\'t come down to 1 or 2 points at the end of the year with the person trailing losing those points because of Burnsy\'s goalies. I somehow doubt it will.

Dobber Sports Icon

12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Icon

Ohhhhh wait a sec. Is the issue that Burnsy is supposed to be a bystander in the league, and that\'s why you all are complaining about it?

Either way, it\'ll all be respective. If where ever burnsy finishes (even if it\'s first), everyone behind him would finish one spot better (ie if he somehow finishes first, 2nd place would = 1st place, 3rd place would = 2nd and so on. What\'s the issue?
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Expert

lanky522 wrote:
    Ohhhhh wait a sec. Is the issue that Burnsy is supposed to be a bystander in the league, and that\'s why you all are complaining about it?

Either way, it\'ll all be respective. If where ever burnsy finishes (even if it\'s first), everyone behind him would finish one spot better (ie if he somehow finishes first, 2nd place would = 1st place, 3rd place would = 2nd and so on. What\'s the issue?
    the issue has been described more than once in this thread. burnsy is NOT first. burnsy is in the middle. So he he is stealing points from the people behind him in 2 goaltending categories.

Personally, I don\'t understand why Burnsy didn\'t bench all of his players immediately after the draft, it would have solved the entire problem.

Regarding your previous post about sitting a goalie after good stats - most leagues have a \"games started\" category to prevent people from taking advantage. The lack of statistical depth in this league has also been discussed.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Here\'s the issue with an example.

Let\'s say there are 4 players.

Repenttokyo
    Pete
    Doulos
    Burnsy

Final Scores at the end of the year are:

RT - 64
    Pete - 62
    Doulos - 48
    Burnsy - 20

But let\'s say that the ranking for Save% is:

RT - 1st - 4 Points
    Burnsy - 2nd - 3 Points
    Pete - 3rd - 2 Points
    Doulos - 4th - 1 Point

And for GAA is:

Doulos - 1st - 4 Points
    RT - 2nd - 3 Points
    Burnsy - 3rd - 2 Points
    Pete - 2nd - 1 Point

In this situation, if Burnsy would have benched his goalies at the start of the year Pete would be tied for first place because of the gain of those 2 points and would in fact be tied for first overall in the pool.

See the danger in it all?

Burnsy, as a spectator, should have benched all of his players all year to avoid this. Best bet now would be to start bad goalies in hoped for blowout games to try drop GAA and SAVE% into last place if at all possible, and try and pick up somne reallly bad +/- players to drop +/- all the way down to last as well.

Dobber Sports Expert

So tonight, Telqvist gets a shutout, and Burnsy, who is in last place, steals points from me, in 4th place. He also now has one more shutout than Zorro, who has zero. Really not cool.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I tell you what, Dobber is going to get it in a bad way after the way my team has been playing.. HAHA!!

My team is crap. Burnsy time for you and me to trade teams..
    Z..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Genius

Zorro wrote:
    I tell you what, Dobber is going to get it in a bad way after the way my team has been playing.. HAHA!!

My team is crap. Burnsy time for you and me to trade teams..
    Z..
    :laugh: