Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Filatov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

As I thought...here's the first "it wasn't me it was the coach" comment from Filatov.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ia_wjc_review/

Here is the interesting part but the whole article is linked above.

"I do agree that I had to score more than one goal," Filatov told Hockey's Future after it was all over. "It doesn’t matter whether I made five assists or not. Although, I came to the World Juniors not to become the best scorer or even the best player but to compete for the medals.

"Speaking of practices, the tactical aspects just weren’t there. We never worked on defending in the neutral zone or our own end, and we never practiced playing on the power play. And these are the key moments of the game," said Filatov.

I'm sure we will see more soon...you gotta love the guy for keeping things interesting, though

Dobber Sports Guru

if the coach thinks that his only mistake was to "choose Filatov to be the captain" (not an exact quote), then he's a looney.

because the NHL essentially screwed the russian team, they were really on the young side (4 of their 6 big forward names are draft eligible... Burmistrov, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Kitsyn). take young players with different playing experiences (some playing big minutes in the CHL, some getting good minutes on senior KHL teams, some getting crappy minutes in senior KHL, some getting good minutes in MHL) and the only thing that will get you through a short tournament is coaching. look no further for proof than at the americans.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
    Zherdev part deux.
    Totally different situation.
    Zherdev was motivated by greed(All about money to him)
    As for Filitov money isnt an issue at all. Its a matter of whose right and wrong with regard to Coaches vs him. I dont believe we know all the facts. Certainly Hitchcock's record & comments made about his system do not bode well for him(Not to mention some players recently aid they felt it was time for a change - and thats being nice). And this Russian Coach has not endeared himself to some players.

I also agree with Ultra's comments. Very logical.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
    As I thought...here's the first "it wasn't me it was the coach" comment from Filatov.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ia_wjc_review/

Here is the interesting part but the whole article is linked above.

"I do agree that I had to score more than one goal," Filatov told Hockey's Future after it was all over. "It doesn’t matter whether I made five assists or not. Although, I came to the World Juniors not to become the best scorer or even the best player but to compete for the medals.

"Speaking of practices, the tactical aspects just weren’t there. We never worked on defending in the neutral zone or our own end, and we never practiced playing on the power play. And these are the key moments of the game," said Filatov.

I'm sure we will see more soon...you gotta love the guy for keeping things interesting, though
    I wont say Filitov is innocent here but geez he's a young immature kid. Hes made some mistakes. Heck just getting adapted to a new country/lifestyle is hard enough.

Whats the excuse for his 2 ego-driven coaches. And i dont see his KHL team or Coach complaining about his performance.

Lets give the kid a kid a break for now.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    Totally different situation.
    Zherdev was motivated by greed(All about money to him)
    As for Filitov money isnt an issue at all. Its a matter of whose right and wrong with regard to Coaches vs him. I dont believe we know all the facts. Certainly Hitchcock's record & comments made about his system do not bode well for him(Not to mention some players recently aid they felt it was time for a change - and thats being nice). And this Russian Coach has not endeared himself to some players.

I also agree with Ultra's comments. Very logical.
    Piss poor attitude starting to emerge from Filatov when at one time his attitude was the one thing that scouts loved.

It may be a different situation than Zherdev but with his latest antics/comments its not out of the question that Filatov will be about GREED later in his career (if he plays in the NHL)

Once he starts making the coin, his poor attitude could start to turn into Greed - ala Zherdev

Dobber Sports Initiate

I honestly don't think filitov has that bad of an attitude... If you got ask the same question about ur coach and how u were screwed a billion times eventually ur going to snap when ur this 19 year kid right... I think he will be fine as soon as he gets traded... He just wants to play hockey in the best league in the world he originally came over here... I mean he did everything they asked... gained 15 pounds cuz he needed to bulk up and waited out the year... He has pride and I think that is what is coming out now is just his pride... He obviously is talented no one can say he isn't just like a player can make a coach look bad a coaches can make a player look bad and that is what seems to be happening... Next year he will light it up and Hitch and the russian coaches will look like the egotistical stubborn coaches they are
    10 Team Roto League; 20 Keepers;
    Start 3C,3LW,3RW,1U,5D,2G

Stats: G,A,Pts,PPG,PPA,Pims,+/- W,Sv%,Sv
    C: Tavares Thorton H. Sedin
    LW: Moulson Clowe D. Sedin Whitney
    RW: Hossa Gaborik Pomminville Pavelski Purcell Heatley
    D: Bieska Boyle
    G: Smith Nabobov Bishop Lindback Ramo Luongo

12 teams 12 keepers
    Points Only

F: Spezza, Brown, Lecavalier, Horton, Elias, Weiss, Desharnais,
    D: Whitney, Zidlicky, Brodin
    G: Smith, Schnieder
    Farm: Justin Faulk, Ryan Ellis, Krill Kabanov

Quote Originally Posted by KoHolga View Post
    I honestly don't think filitov has that bad of an attitude... If you got ask the same question about ur coach and how u were screwed a billion times eventually ur going to snap when ur this 19 year kid right... I think he will be fine as soon as he gets traded... He just wants to play hockey in the best league in the world he originally came over here... I mean he did everything they asked... gained 15 pounds cuz he needed to bulk up and waited out the year... He has pride and I think that is what is coming out now is just his pride... He obviously is talented no one can say he isn't just like a player can make a coach look bad a coaches can make a player look bad and that is what seems to be happening... Next year he will light it up and Hitch and the russian coaches will look like the egotistical stubborn coaches they are
    While I somewhat agree, I will have to comment otherwise on a few things.

As an athlete of any age (I can only speak from a hockey perspective), there is a certain credo to follow. Much like a family, there are just certain things that should not be public knowledge.

1) you dont bad-mouth any member of the organization to those not involved
    2) anything that happens or is said inside the room stays in the room (what happens in vegas....)
    3) you never, ever question authority to anyone but authority themselves.
    4) being new, serve your time until you've earned the right to speak up INSIDE THE ROOM
    5) You never bail or quit until your obligation is served

While I am a big fan of Filatov, I think he has and is making a number of mistakes. Interview or not, you do not publicly air your displeasure with your team, management, or coach. It NEVER makes you look good and those that you are badmouthing almost always say the right things to make you look bad.

I'm not a Hitchcock fan but he is handling it well. I'm sure that he is not as candid with his words to Howson and the organization as he had been with the media in regards to Filatov's statements.

Nikita is painting a picture that, though it may be a small one yet, he will not want as he matures as an athlete.

Take other sports for instance. Im not a huge fan of it, but the NFL is notorious for dumb players saying dumb things and challenging management and teammates. Many of them have never dropped that label as being a "pain in the A$$".

If I was Filatov I would shut up, play hockey, and let my agent be the bad guy. Although I like discussing and hearing about his comments, I do not think it is appropriate to let the media get so close to this matter.

just my opinion

Dobber Sports Guru

agree garbage goal. however i get the impression from the increasing number of russian interview translations we have access to now that it is a cultural thing with russians over there... they seem to be more frank in interviews.

some of the things i've read that ovechkin has said (like having lots of sex before and after games), or when datsyuk lightheartedly said he thought he was the best player in the league, or when zubov says that he thinks his KHL team could beat a half dozen NHL squads... who knows, maybe its understood that the interviews are more for entertainment. they must think the boring cliche interview answers here are ridiculous.

While I somewhat agree, I will have to comment otherwise on a few things.

As an athlete of any age (I can only speak from a hockey perspective), there is a certain credo to follow. Much like a family, there are just certain things that should not be public knowledge.

1) you dont bad-mouth any member of the organization to those not involved
    2) anything that happens or is said inside the room stays in the room (what happens in vegas....)
    3) you never, ever question authority to anyone but authority themselves.
    4) being new, serve your time until you've earned the right to speak up INSIDE THE ROOM
    5) You never bail or quit until your obligation is served

While I am a big fan of Filatov, I think he has and is making a number of mistakes. Interview or not, you do not publicly air your displeasure with your team, management, or coach. It NEVER makes you look good and those that you are badmouthing almost always say the right things to make you look bad.

I'm not a Hitchcock fan but he is handling it well. I'm sure that he is not as candid with his words to Howson and the organization as he had been with the media in regards to Filatov's statements.

Nikita is painting a picture that, though it may be a small one yet, he will not want as he matures as an athlete.

Take other sports for instance. Im not a huge fan of it, but the NFL is notorious for dumb players saying dumb things and challenging management and teammates. Many of them have never dropped that label as being a "pain in the A$$".

If I was Filatov I would shut up, play hockey, and let my agent be the bad guy. Although I like discussing and hearing about his comments, I do not think it is appropriate to let the media get so close to this matter.

just my opinion
    Very well said. I don't know how it works it Russia, but that was spoken like someone who had played at least junior on this side of the pond and knows the code.

Quote Originally Posted by ultrawhiteness View Post
    agree garbage goal. however i get the impression from the increasing number of russian interview translations we have access to now that it is a cultural thing with russians over there... they seem to be more frank in interviews.

some of the things i've read that ovechkin has said (like having lots of sex before and after games), or when datsyuk lightheartedly said he thought he was the best player in the league, or when zubov says that he thinks his KHL team could beat a half dozen NHL squads... who knows, maybe its understood that the interviews are more for entertainment. they must think the boring cliche interview answers here are ridiculous.
    This makes complete sense and I never thought of it this way.

In a way "tooting their horn". I could also see those players saying things similar to what was written to boost their persona within their own countries. To be honest, it makes sense that they would not care what North Americans think of them nearly as much as their own countrymen.

Unlike the others, Filatov should not have called his WJC coach out like that. He seems to be covering is own A$$.

Good point, though, ultra

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Torn on this issue: on one hand, a player shouldn't rip his coach. On the other, can you really blame a player for ripping a coach that just ripped him? Especially considering all the frustrations Filatov's already gone through.

My "human" side says, he's a kid, he'll learn.

My hockey pool genius side sees a kid who isn't battling through adversity. When Hitch said: "work hard in the minors" he bailed. At his biggest opportunity to shine (the WJHC), he did not.

Does that translate into someone who won't produce at the NHL level? Not necessarily, but it also isn't inspiring.
    10 Team Keeper (keep 15)
    G,A,+/-, Playoffs
    F: Crosby, Malkin, Parise, Giroux, Vanek, JVR, Pavelski, Clowe, Neal, Havlat, Roy, Frolik, Hodgson, Perron, Parse, Bertuzzin, Knuble, Bourque, Read
    D: Green, Boyle, Letang, White, Gragnani, Greene, Michalek
    G: Miller,Howard, Reimer, Emery

Dobber Sports Guru

Unlike the others, Filatov should not have called his WJC coach out like that. He seems to be covering is own A$$.
    ya, i agree. its pretty tough to defend his comments in that HF article.

i did like his answer in the TPS interview, though.

When asked if Filatov and the Russians quit on Vladamir Plyuschev, he had this response.

"If it looked like this, you're probably right."
    and i do agree... if you ever expect to play for columbus again, you don't go mouthing off hitchcock and you don't give anybody the impression that you're trying to tell your GM what to do. bad strategy unless your GM can suck up his pride and deal you. a guy like Poile (nashville) would tell you to **** off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ttigers View Post
    Torn on this issue: on one hand, a player shouldn't rip his coach. On the other, can you really blame a player for ripping a coach that just ripped him? Especially considering all the frustrations Filatov's already gone through.

My "human" side says, he's a kid, he'll learn.

My hockey pool genius side sees a kid who isn't battling through adversity. When Hitch said: "work hard in the minors" he bailed. At his biggest opportunity to shine (the WJHC), he did not.

Does that translate into someone who won't produce at the NHL level? Not necessarily, but it also isn't inspiring.

Well, either way can be argued to no end. It depends on which side of the argument, if any, that you've ever been a part of...but not necessarily in sport.

I am not trying to discredit the fact that what Filatov has said take Balls for the lack of a better word. 19 or not, it is always tough to criticize those who in theory hold your future in their hands, or at the very least, control the masses.

However, there is a point where having balls crosses the line and becomes rebellion and stupidity. In Filatov's case this may be, but it also seems like logic is being killed by pride.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Nikita Filatov knocked down by a dirty play from Darcy Verot:
    http://www.russianhockeyfans.com/khl...verot-123.html

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah that was pretty much a cheap punch he threw. Not so sure Filatov didn't do a little acting to gain the penalties - seems like the refs didn't see it happen.