Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Regaining Confidence

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Regaining Confidence

A mere four days ago I was feeling pretty darn good about my fantasy team and it's prospects for another successful season. This Monday morning has been terrible...Kovalchuk and Seto out...that's bad, but what has really stuck me is my sudden loss of confidence in what I thought was a moderately low-risk goalie crew.

S. Mason
    C. Mason
    S. Varlamov
    T. Conklin

The Masons were the #1's whom I entrusted would take me to the promised land. Varlamov was the wild card whom I thought could provide additional wins or be a bust. Conklin is the solid veteran and handcuff should anything happen to C. Mason.

Unfortunately, things have gone terribly thus far and the recent disappearance of the Columbus defense has killed the confidence I had in my goaltenders. I know it's still relatively early, but it's very difficult to make up inflated GAA and Save % categories. I am now considering picking up additional goalies or possibly trading for another. Free Agents and Waiver Wire possibilities:
    JS Giguere (waivers)
    B. Boucher
    B. Elliott
    M. Garon
    J. Harding
    J. Deslauriers
    J. LaBarbera
    M. Biron
    D. Roloson
    R. DiPietro

Since my league counts Wins, GAA, Save%, and Shutouts, you can see that I am getting hammered and currently reside in last place in all but wins. Is it time to "whether the storm" or start making some adjustments? I'd appreciate any help or insight you could provide, thanks in advance.
    8 Team Roto League (1-year)
    Cats: G A +/- PIMs PPP SHP SOG SH% HIT BLK GAA SV% SVS W SO
    F: Ovechkin, Stamkos, Giroux, Perry, Tavares, Eriksson, Benn, Jagr, Heatley, Alfredsson, Roy, Hanzal
    D: Phaneuf, Del Zotto, Kulikov, I. White, Goligoski, Niskanen
    G: M. Smith, Emery
    BN: C. Stewart, J. Staal, Read, Brouwer, Ward, Hedberg, Pavelec, Bachman
    IR: Letang, Giordano

Dobber Sports Ace

If you are considering grabbing any FA's, keep an eye on Elliot. I'm not huge on following all goalie stats though, so take it with a grain of salt!

Dobber Sports Genius

Hold tight Justin buddy!Any of those fereebies could get lucky and see some real time but , which 1(s)? It's still early , you have 2 good goalies in your St. Louis tandem , another great starte in Columbus and a pretty decent "back-up" in Varlamov.I do'nt see any reason to jump ship just yet and if you were to deal you'd have to sell low on all but Mason(Colum.)
    If you have room Deslauries is in a good situation in Ed. and Elliott could have another shot should Leclair get injured.Garon could hold some value for you as you'd have 2 tandems.Throw Varly out there and see if any decent offers come up.Sounds like Theo. could be leading the pack and Varlys' value has'nt sunk too bad yet.My suggestions , good luck!
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Shook - I don't see any answers on the wire - only possible answers if things change. If you have IR and can stash Dipietro, I think that might be a wild card that might come home. However as I look at your really solid team, I just don't see a guy I would dump to open the door for that to happen.

Ride it out - Columbus got caught in a brutal road trip - things will get better.

Dobber Sports Stud

I have Kipper and S. Mason, how do you think I feel? Leading the ROTO league with 14 wins in 18GP but last place in GAA, SV% and Shutouts. And there's 14 people in the league, meaning I'm even more screwed in FAs...

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
    If you are considering grabbing any FA's, keep an eye on Elliot. I'm not huge on following all goalie stats though, so take it with a grain of salt!
    I owned Elliott two seasons ago...I like him and will certainly keep an eye on him should anything happen...er...when something happens with Leclaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Shook - I don't see any answers on the wire - only possible answers if things change. If you have IR and can stash Dipietro, I think that might be a wild card that might come home. However as I look at your really solid team, I just don't see a guy I would dump to open the door for that to happen.

Ride it out - Columbus got caught in a brutal road trip - things will get better.
    Always the voice of reason...I know I must remain patient, but I guess it's very difficult when it seems like my team is falling apart by the seams. I need to give my team at least 20 games, I know, but I guess I keep looking back at those Games Played (164 for two goalie spots) and I feel like I've already burned so many on horrific 4,5, & 6 GAA games.

I've had my eye on DiPietro...unfortunately we don't have IR in my league, but I'll monitor the situation as it develops. I'm just really disappointed in my team, specifically my goaltending, thus far...
    F: Ovechkin, Stamkos, Giroux, Perry, Tavares, Eriksson, Benn, Jagr, Heatley, Alfredsson, Roy, Hanzal

The King of Diatribes

Shook,

Hey sorry for the delayed reply on this - like Dobber I have also been moving over the weekend and today I to handle Avs Weekly so yeah.

Anyways, I hear you on the crushed hopes with goalie tandems. I also have a team that has both Mason's on it, along with Dan Ellis. All I can tell you is to stay patient with them both. Every single goalie is prone to struggling in October ... but it's an 82 game season and there's a lot of hockey left to play.

Do not succumb to all of the wild and crazy people that say Steve Mason or Jonas Hiller or Carey Price are the second coming of Jim Carey. It's not like that for any of them ... at least not as of this writing. Anything is possible and you just have to try and keep your decisions as simple as possible. Do not lose hope. Both Mason's are VERY good goalies and both have a bright future ahead of them for the next few seasons.

Just like Luongo and Brodeur struggled horribly at some point, so too could just about anyone. The only one that has exceeded all expectations was Craig Anderson and I was sure to point that out as soon as training camp started.

I really like Brian Elliott and Mathieu Garon as potential goalies. Although Garon might have misleading talent because he put up a shutout then a stinker, I still make sure that everyone knows he's an elite goalie. Especially considering how Steve Mason is playing right now, Garon could be due for some games (FINALLY).

Jeff Deslauriers is the other legit goalie on your list. Khabibulin's durability is highly suspect in my eyes right now ^.^

Don't mess with any of the Islanders' goalies. Especially Biron. He has the slowest footwork in the league and he's not very big. Even with over-sized equipment. Although DiPietro is interesting if you want to put him on the IR and see what happens when he is actually in the lineup.

Otherwise just be patient and see how things look after a few more games for each. Also follow some simple rules like spot-starting (at home, against weaker or struggling teams) and things like that =).

Hope that helps!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    Shook,

Hey sorry for the delayed reply on this - like Dobber I have also been moving over the weekend and today I to handle Avs Weekly so yeah.

Anyways, I hear you on the crushed hopes with goalie tandems. I also have a team that has both Mason's on it, along with Dan Ellis. All I can tell you is to stay patient with them both. Every single goalie is prone to struggling in October ... but it's an 82 game season and there's a lot of hockey left to play.

Do not succumb to all of the wild and crazy people that say Steve Mason or Jonas Hiller or Carey Price are the second coming of Jim Carey. It's not like that for any of them ... at least not as of this writing. Anything is possible and you just have to try and keep your decisions as simple as possible. Do not lose hope. Both Mason's are VERY good goalies and both have a bright future ahead of them for the next few seasons.

Just like Luongo and Brodeur struggled horribly at some point, so too could just about anyone. The only one that has exceeded all expectations was Craig Anderson and I was sure to point that out as soon as training camp started.

I really like Brian Elliott and Mathieu Garon as potential goalies. Although Garon might have misleading talent because he put up a shutout then a stinker, I still make sure that everyone knows he's an elite goalie. Especially considering how Steve Mason is playing right now, Garon could be due for some games (FINALLY).

Jeff Deslauriers is the other legit goalie on your list. Khabibulin's durability is highly suspect in my eyes right now ^.^

Don't mess with any of the Islanders' goalies. Especially Biron. He has the slowest footwork in the league and he's not very big. Even with over-sized equipment. Although DiPietro is interesting if you want to put him on the IR and see what happens when he is actually in the lineup.

Otherwise just be patient and see how things look after a few more games for each. Also follow some simple rules like spot-starting (at home, against weaker or struggling teams) and things like that =).

Hope that helps!
    Do you think I should add Garon as insurance? I'm kinda scared now.

OR trade away S. Mason and pick up Garon.

Dobber Sports Ace

Justin,
    Thanks for the very thorough response. Reading these responses and watching the Ducks vs Leafs tonight (seeing Hiller get left out to dry by his defense) made me feel a bit better about my team. At the beginning of the season I targeted Columbus and St. Louis as teams to build my goalie tandems around (Varlamov lingered in our draft so I took a gamble), so it's only fair that I give them some time to work out the kinks. I will definitely be playing my goalies far more sparingly until some real progress is displayed. I've owned Garon in this league (dropped him for Conks, as StL seemed like a dicier situation were I could lose my starter), unfortunately I missed out on the shutout and got saddled with the stinker. I like JDD, and you're absolutely right, I should be paying very close attention to Khabibulin's health...or lack thereof. Ditto Elliott and Leclaire.

So, when's that handy dandy new feature going to be unveiled?! Now's the time to do it...forget swine flu...goalie panic is the current epidemic sweeping the continent!
    Last edited by shook81; October 27, 2009 at 11:59 AM.

The King of Diatribes

HAHAHA!!! Nice one Shook...

I am going to work on it some more through this week. I was moving last weekend and literally just finished up this morning, so once I settle in and get back into the swing of things, I'll be able to start designing it. From a content perspective, I have almost all of the one-liners done for both starting and benching.

But I kinda wanna keep it a secret Only peeps who come to the Guild Chats will know exactly what I'm up to. MUAHAHA. It's definitely going to help some people out and keep them from pulling out their hair and whatnot LOL.

Peace!! Stand firm with your goalies and be on the hunt for hints and clues that give you the inside track on which goalies to start!!

Dobber Sports Ace

Can't wait to see it in all it's glory...I'm already being driven insane by the inconistency of my goalies. I'm just going to have to learn how to be patient with unpredictable/unpleasant results for awhile...

Dobber Sports Genius

My appologies shook i was'nt paying attention and thought The Guild had made the original post , stupid of me as i should have realized he would'nt need much help in this field,lol!~nice to see he gave the same names I suggested , I'm actually starting to get better at this!
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by smoothfun View Post
    My appologies shook i was'nt paying attention and thought The Guild had made the original post , stupid of me as i should have realized he would'nt need much help in this field,lol!~nice to see he gave the same names I suggested , I'm actually starting to get better at this!
    No worries man...I knew what you meant.

Dobber Sports Ace

Tuukka Rask was just dropped in this league...he certainly makes an intreguing prospect. If Boston turns things around once Lucic and Savard return in a month, and Thomas needs a breather or injures his aging body...Rask would be fantasy gold. Who am I kidding...that's a lot of "ifs"...

The King of Diatribes

Such is the life of trying to deal with fantasy goaltending this year.

Case in point - Brian Elliott's game last night. If that first goal doesn't go off eight million bodies in front and squeak past him ... his timing is probably consistent through the entire night and I DON'T get creamed in my fantasy league this week.

Unbelievable. Bryzgalov is also so friggin streaky it's not even funny...another shutout for him last night.