Thread: Patrick Division Entry League Draft Results

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Patrick Division Entry League Draft Results

Well the speedball draft is a wrap - 2 hours and 16 minutes - wooosh.

Going to be another tough league for sure.

Find the results here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...5w&output=html

I like my team

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Firestorm
    Dobber Entry League/Patricks '09/10 - 15-team roto league
    Scoring Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG; W, GAA, SV.

C: , Stamkos, Dubinsky, Laich, Umberger
    LW: Ovechkin, D. Sedin, Ladd, Fedotenko
    RW: Ryan, Gionta, Horton(C/RW), Clarkson,
    D: Pronger, Timonen, Bogosian, Tyutin, Kuba, Daley
    G: Huet, M.Smith,
    Bench: Theodore, Elliot, Miettinen, J. Ward, Lydman.

1. Ovechkin

2. D. Sedin
    It was either D. Sedin or Kane but I tended to with the one who I think will have the better year and score more goals.

3. Huet
    Honestly, I did not expect 13 goalies to go by from Ovechkin to my next pick. looking at the Adam's division, I was probably aiming the same, Miller type. But now I was contemplating between Huet and Rinne. I chose Huet since I like his position better in Chicago. Hopefully, Chicago makes him look good!

4. Pronger
    Pronger should have a great year in Philly.

5. B. Ryan
    Probably a round or two early, but not being able to pick for another 30 players, he was to me the best available healthy RW (Hossa was still there)

6. M. Smith (I know early! But I needed another starting goaltender...)
    Probably the pick I'll regret the most but when the last few starting goaltenders were starting to go (Quick, C. Mason etc...) I was left with scraps. I never thought after the first crazy goalie rush that the second one would start so soon. I mean I was pretty confident C. Mason would've came to me but damn that goalie fetish in the Patrick's division.

7. Horton
    Was very attractive because of C/RW. He will start on my RW.

8. Timonen
    Combined with Pronger, I like his chances of doing nothing but good.

9. Gionta
    I was going for points and another RW.

10. Clarkson
    Here is my PIM whore, and he should get more points this year.

11. Bogosian
    I see similiar stats to Letang and Suter who both left in the same round

12. Tyutin
    I was hooked on Tyutin since that Angus article, and I believed that he was a good pick up in the 12th round.

13. Stamkos
    If he flirts with 70 points I'm happy.

14. Ladd
    Needed another LW as they were going quick and I liked his +/-.

15. Dubinsky
    I got a little excited to see he was still there, topline minutes and Gabby = hopefully something good.

16. Kuba
    There was a D-rush and when it came to my pick, I believe he was one of the better one's left.

17. Elliot
    At this point I knew I accepted the fact that I would be playing the goalie waiver wire. Here's hoping Leclaire gets injured! I believe Elliot could play 30+.

18. Laich
    I was going for points here and looking at Dobber's guide, he was playing RW. So I'm hoping sooner or later he gets C/RW.

19. Umburger (Should get C/LW)
    Same with Laich, but C/LW.

20. Daley
    For my last non-benched D, Daley seemed attractive because of the top pairing in Dallas. He'll definitely improve on last years numbers.

21. Fedotenko
    Needed my last LW and he was the best option, to me. Playing with Malkin isnt bad either.

22. Miettinen
    Same with Fedotenko but for RW. I have a feeling that he might do better this year, just a hunch... but again I'm not expecting much more than his usual.

23. Theodore
    Same with the Elliot pick up, Theo will start the season as starter and for the good of my team I hope that as he fades out to Varly, Leclaire gets injured so Elliot raplaces him.

24. Lydman
    Benched D, I like him as a 7th D.

25. Ward
    Last pick, I liked what I seen from him last year, hopefully he sticks in top 6 in Nashville. (and scores )

~~

There you have it folks! Good luck to all in Patrick's division, and I'm thrilled to be part of the new expansion three tier league!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Stud

C- M.Richards/Zajac/Langkow/Demitra
    R- Boyes/Knuble/Samuelsson/Byfuglein
    L- Vanek/Elias/Carcillo/Tkachuk
    D- Rafalski/Barker/Zidlicky/Kubina/Jovanoski
    G- Thomas/Fleury
    BN - Eager/Recchi/Artyukhin/Crawford/Shannon

Rounds 1-2
    With 2nd last pick I knew I was going goalies back to back
    Thomas and Fleury should be a top 3 tandem if not tops in the league

Rounds 3-4
    I wanted scoring wingers, Vanek and Boyes should fit the bill, I was also looking at Semin but he went a few picks before, which I was fine with I have Semin in another league. Vanek and Boyes are both new guys for me.

Rounds 5-6
    After taking a small +/- hit in the previous round I went with Rafalski and M.Richards in these rounds, also spreads out my positions, so far the draft hasn’t thrown me for a loop, I’m happy with the picks to this point which could be a good or bad thing, only time will tell on that.

Rounds 7-8
    Elias, even with a new coach and an injury it was hard to not take him here at pick 111, he had been staring at me from my draft list for a few rounds. I also have big hope for Knuble, rumour has it that he has some decent linemates

Rounds 9-10
    Barker and Zajac, still trying to keep my positions balanced out and may of let my Hawk side show but I knew (or had a strong hunch) Tiger was going D after me so I grabbed a D first, and again with a +/- helper in Zajac, lets hope NJ isn’t shut down completely!

Rounds 11-12
    Felt like a good time to add some PIM, Carcillo was there and willing so he came my way. Zidlicky was also highly rated based on my projections and had been sitting there for a few rounds so I picked him up. Also felt that Tiger was going for a LW, Rolston was next on my list but felt ok with my 2 NJ guys already, felt good that I seemed to have a good feeling for what Tiger was taking after me.

Rounds 13-14
    Kubina and Jovanovski, never been good at drafting D, never been in a league that required 6 of them. Didn’t think that I could go wrong with these 2, with 2 picks in the 200’s. Had my Hawk eye on Seabrook but he went right before me. Again not sure if it is a good thing or bad thing that my picks have been falling to me.

Rounds 15-16
    Langkow and Samuelsson, again looking to keep my positions even as I go, both guys should put up decent numbers if they get the right linemates, felt like I could take what I felt was a chance on both of these guys with them starting to round out the starting lineup.

Rounds 17-18
    Again with my Hawks, Byfuglein, maybe I get lucky and he lands multi positions again, either way he really came on last year and I am hoping he continues his growth. Tkachuk was another guy that was highlighted in my program that can get me some points. I felt like I was doing ok in the other stats at this point (real or not) but felt like I was behind in G and A, felt Tkachuk couldn’t hurt here.

Rounds 19-20
    The draft is flying, after hearing the first Entry draft went 3+ hours I was having trouble keeping up with the direction I wanted to go and it didn’t help that there weren’t many guys that appealed to me at this point. A few guys I felt ok about were picked ahead of me. I went with Demitra and Mara, both guys finished off my roster for those positions leaving me with only a bench to fill. I was eyeing up Elliott here as a 3rd goalie but he went a few picks ahead of me.

Rounds 21-22
    Ok Bench guys now. Might as well go with my Hawks! Feeling a bit low in PIM I grabbed Eager, and got my 3rd goalie and hope that Crawford is the backup in Chicago. I don’t hope to have to use my 3rd goalie or else I could be in trouble but I hope I have the right guy if I need one!

Rounds 23-25
    Still feeling that PIMs and Pts were low I grabbed Artyukhin and Recchi and took a flyer on Shannon with my last pick. I was hoping to spread my bench out a bit more (3 RW), but there wasn’t really anyone else I wanted to grab.

All in all I am happy with my draft, it went very quick but time will tell if I covered myself in all areas!

Varlamov definitely slipped through the cracks of the yahoo system. Good pick up in the 4th, considering our rush.
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Avg Pick Analysis for all 4 Entry Level Leagues

Not sure if you guys interested, but i just wanted to see where players where picked in each division for my team. So please find below a spreadsheet URL for all players/leagues and its average across 4 leagues. (players that were not picked in some leagues, but picked in at least one, were assigned a pick 400 (last pick) for calculation purposes). Each sheet contains columns for each division (marked S,N,P

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...5ZF9fMXc&hl=en

let me know if you have access. not sure how to share it.
    Last edited by goon; September 27, 2009 at 9:10 AM.

worked fine for me, but I have a gmail account which might influence the google docs/excel.
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Rookie

Hi all -- thanks for the great draft, it went very swiftly which is a big plus.

My team: Tiger Williams' Guys
    C -- Spezza, Brière, Gomez, Fisher, Brind'Amour
    L -- Morrow, Rolston, Sturm, Bertuzzi
    R -- Iginla, Hossa, Kotalik, Upshall, Hunter (NYI), Karsums
    D -- Bieksa, Blake (SJ), Letang, Pitkanen, Meszaros, Salo, Carle (PHI)
    G -- Backstrom (MIN), Vokoun, Giguère

I picked last (16th, or 15th really) so of course back-to-back picks in between Chinny's picks.

Round 1-2
    Backstrom/Iginla -- All did their work so the goalie rush was quite impressive. Had my mind set on Thomas who Chinny took right before my eyes (a common theme I guess but this is nothing new in those drafts). Hesitated a bit between Backstrom and Fleury and picked the former for a more solid GAA and likely more SV as he's a workhorse. The flipside of the goalie rush is that I could get Iginla, who was 4th on my skater list (right in front of Heatley).

Round 3-4
    Vokoun/Spezza -- You only get 2 G for 3 categories (vs. 18 skaters for 6 cats) so I went with the next G on my list, but my best-case scenario was to get Semin, who went a couple picks earlier. C is deep but I couldn't pass on Spezza in the 4th round.

Round 5-6
    Morrow/Hossa -- a couple of band-aid boys here, though Hossa should be reliable once he gets back. With players so grossly misplaced by Yahoo (Morrow), you always wonder whether you're taking them too early, but my next-ranked LW was Marleau and I didn't want him as a 1st LW. By now I know I won't get any stars on D, and I know I need a good 5th RW to play while Hossa's on IR.

Round 7-8
    Brière/Bieksa -- hanging on top of my (remaining) list is band-aid boy Brière so I take the risk, along with my 1st D-man at last. I pondered taking Bieksa and Barker for a while and was quite happy with my decision as Brière would have been gone at the end of round 9.. only problem, Chinny took Barker with the 2nd-to-last pick in round 9, right before mine. 30 picks is a looooong way.

Round 9-10
    Blake/Letang -- Not a duo that I would have hoped to take but decent d-men were dropping like flies (or so it seemed). When Blake isn't injured he's a multi-cad stud among d-men, and Letang will give me G, A and PPP, which is fine for a d-man. By now I'm a bit more worried about my RW after having seen Gionta, Bouchard, Little, Antropov, Guerin and Dumont go during round 9.

Round 11-12
    Rolston/Gomez -- Turns out I get 2 good SOG studs here, including Rolston who has flourished in the past under Lemaire and should at least post better numbers than last year. For some reason (brain fart) I had Selanne ranked higher than Rolston and passed on him so I'm digging my RW hole a bit further here.

Round 13-14
    Sturm/Giguère -- Sturm is another addition to my comeback kids and he's playing on a scoring line in Boston wherever they put him. Everyone seems bearish on Giguère but even though he was average last year, the real reason he didn't see any playoff action is Hiller was so brilliant. I like Hiller so I don't think he'll falter but I think Giguère is too good a goalie to have bad stats like last year. Worst-case scenario is I get a good backup who'll see a bit of action and will save my ass if Vokoun gets injured.

Round 15-16
    Pitkanen/Meszaros -- Two D I like (Meszaros can't have another brutal season like last year with Ohlund around), but by now you can see I should be using my IR spots quite a bit this year. Gotta spend that 100$ wisely I guess.

Round 17-18
    Kotalik/Upshall -- I don't like Kotalik as a player but who cares if he scores goals and gives me PPP. As for Upshall, add him to my band-aid boy list.

Round 19-20
    Bertuzzi/Hunter -- One of the reasons I picked Berts (besides the possibility of playing alongside Datsyuk or Zetterberg for over half a year) is he'll probably gain RW eligibility as he did for every year I can remember on Yahoo, so he may help me out on the right side. He's yet another band-aid boy of course. I like Hunter and he'll give me SOG and well-rounded stats unless he plays a shutdown role on the island (which I don't see him getting unless it's by default).

Round 21-22
    Salo/Carle (PHI) -- Salo is yet another band-aid boy and the draft is filling up with other fantasy long shots anyway: Stempniak, Hedman, Karlsson, Aucoin, Beauchemin, Ericsson all went in round 21. Well my long shot hope is he plays 75 games. As for Carle, reports are he had a good camp and the Flyers traded Sbisa and waived Jones so his spot on the 2nd PP should be more secure now. Gotta love that, given that 2nd PP may be something like Hartnell-Brière-Giroux (or sub M. Richards for Brière).

Round 23-24
    Fisher/Karsums -- That's before Karsums got cut I guess, that was my depth spot at RW. I'm happy with Fisher as a 4th C given his camp. Foligno-Fisher-Kovalev looks good as a 2nd unit in OTT. Fine with me.

Round 25
    Brind'Amour -- Before the draft I would have advised anyone not to take Brind'Amour in any format (except one that has faceoff wins as a category) but I ended up taking him, kind of by default. I wanted a 5th C (I don't know if Rolston will gain C eligibility) just in case and he somehow was on top. Worst-case scenario is he wastes a roster spot. He's not going to make or break my team.

In all, I'm confident that I'll do good even with a realistic amount of injuries. My D is a bit weak but I feel it's the only position I can afford that in roto leagues, plus my weaker category is probably +/-, and there are a few good +/- options remaining on defense. My hope is I'll be able to waive one of my point producers for a little +/- help should someone falter.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Pretty decent draft coming out of the last gate. Nice write-up.

With a few trades under my belt my team is looking like:

C: Stamkos, Dubinsky, Laich, Arnott
    LW: Ovechkin, D. Sedin, Ladd, Fedotenko
    RW: Gionta, Okposo, Clarkson, Miettinen,
    D: Pronger, Timonen, Bogosian, E. Johnson, Kuba, Daley
    G: Huet, Emery, Leclaire,
    Bench: Elliot, Umberger, J. Ward, Lydman.

Gone are: Horton, Tyutin, M. Smith, Theodore, Ryan
    In are: Arnott, E. Johnson, Leclaire, Emery, Okposo

~~

First trade:

I sent: Horton, Tyutin, M. Smith
    I received: Arnott, E. Johnson and Leclaire

I see this as a trade between Horton's (C/RW) for an upgrade in net. P. Leclaire was attractive to me because I had Elliot. Tyutin and E. Johnson shouldnt be that far off from each other and Arnott at C is a somewhat decent return for Horton. Although, now my RW took a little step back.

Second trade:

I sent: Theodore
    I received: Okposo

Since I got the two Ottawa tenders, Theodore became a bit more expendable. Okposo fills the gap on my RW that I gave up when sending Horton.

Third trade:

I sent: Bobby Ryan
    I received: Ray Emery

Now I'm feeling a bit more confident in my G's with Huet, Emery, P. Leclaire and Elliot. It came at the expense of Bobby Ryan. Ryan was my top RW but in order to compete in the G categories I had to sacrifice a bit improve it.

~~

3 trades in two days, wow!

Edit: added a third trade.
    Last edited by GMGates; September 29, 2009 at 1:57 PM.
    Gates Imbeau