Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bear With Us

I...am your father.

Default Bear With Us

We are trying some things to stop the influx of spam. Right now we tried to set it up so that all initial posts from a new user needs to be approved by a moderator. Oops - it accidentally set up so ALL posts require moderation.

That was not the intent. I just approved a bunch...but we are fixing it back so that it won't happen anymore. Just need a few minutes.

Meantime, please keep doing what you are doing - it's the best way for us to test if we are getting it right. Thank you for your help (and patience) !!

Dobber
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Forum back running as it was - back to square one. We are trying some things in the test environment now. Hopefully just another 24 hours of annoying spam. Sorry

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Sigh! Guess I have to starting looking elsewhere for my spam fix.

I...am your father.

Bah - you're just looking for great deals on ******, admit it

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Actually no - I get a Korean version of it here that is much better and much cheaper. I was more interested in the ladies who will do it while you are both hanging from bunji cords suspended between tall buildings.

I think the title of this thread could have been "Bare with us"
    Last edited by Shoeless; September 13, 2009 at 5:57 AM.

Dobber Sports Master

Thanks for the update Dobber. I appreciate the work that goes into making this place run smoothly.

cheers,

AW

I...am your father.

Over the next 48 hours, the occasional weird thing will happen - including the possibility of the site being down for a bit. When we emerge from that 48-hour window, I hope that most of our recent spamming problems will be solved.

About the issues over the last couple of hours:

1. Passwords expiring - I think you can ignore this. We tried something, didn't work. Will put back the way it was (I hope). Worst case scenario - change your password.
    2. People's user name starts with "Seth" in many cases. This didn't affect mods or admin...but most other people. This is not on our end. Someone hacked in and caused mischeif. Web host security is on top of this right now and will fix, and will find the breach and will seal it. Nobody's account has been compromised otherwise.

Sorry for all this. Big nightmare during a big month, but almost out of the woods.

Dobber Sports Ace

Hah, I was wondering why everyone was Steve a second ago.

On the plus side, the forums just set a new record for most ever online at once, 252!

Dobber Sports Icon

I thought we were under attack by the Egyptian pantheon or something....

Thanks for keeping us updated, I know this stuff is a pain to work through (have dealt with similar things in the past).
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Nichushkin, Batherson, Sharangovich
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei, Forsling
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, But, G.Perreault, Morrow, Perunovich, Nikishin

I...am your father.

Records - that doesn't work. Yesterday it was 344 at once. Every day the "record" resets. Low priority to fix though

Can people tell me if the password issue has been resolved? Should be back to normal now.

I...am your father.

Just updated:
    We weren't hacked. It was a mistake. "Seth" and "Steve" both work for my programmer. They stuck their name in the wrong spot...sounds a little keystone coppish but no harm done.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Just updated:
    We weren't hacked. It was a mistake. "Seth" and "Steve" both work for my programmer. They stuck their name in the wrong spot...sounds a little keystone coppish but no harm done.
    well thats good to know...still very strange that this password issue came up and then only the people who clicked on that got the Seth thing...very disconcerting but thats great news if it was just a mixup Dobber.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default HTML tags not working in signature

I just noticed that the html tags don't seem to be working in the sigs.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

I...am your father.

Update: we have apparently successfully solved the spam issue in the staging environment. New users will not be able to post right away - their first post will need to be approved. Once approved, the restrictions will then be lifted.

Since no spammer has the hockey knowledge to successfully slip a good first post past our moderators, in theory this would stop all spam.

Just need to test a bit more (need to make sure Guide access is unaffected, etc) and then we'll put it live.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Update: we have apparently successfully solved the spam issue in the staging environment. New users will not be able to post right away - their first post will need to be approved. Once approved, the restrictions will then be lifted.

Since no spammer has the hockey knowledge to successfully slip a good first post past our moderators, in theory this would stop all spam.

Just need to test a bit more (need to make sure Guide access is unaffected, etc) and then we'll put it live.
    Thanks for the update and for all the effort you're putting into this. I guess this protection explains why some of my posts from yesterday needed to be approved...

Sure the past week wasn't fun for everybody, but in the end, you would have taken care of everything. Thanks D!