Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Need Predictions?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    No I won't relax - do you see that little button on the left that says Dobbershop - that's where Dobber tries to make enough to feed his kid - the rest of this stuff we get free. If they really are your predictions pure and clean, then go buy a domain name and hawk this stuff there - show a little consideration for heaven sakes. While you are at it, grab a dictionary and look up the word 'integrity' - you will find it between 'idiot' and 'irresponsible'.

Do you really think that folks who know the fantasy hockey game are witless? Sorry, dumb question - of course, you do. I can buy Ralph Lauren knockoffs and be happy - but I take my fantasy hockey seriously and I prefer to get the real thing for $10 bucks than get the somewhat wrinkled to look different version for free.
    Amen, I'm with Shoeless and Z on this. Playmaker you need to cease and desist, because its not only bullshit, but more importantly its plagiarism. Predictions are fine, we all give our opinions, but if you want to compose a definitive thread that includes all the players in the league, you need to do that BEFORE Dobber puts his guide out, otherwise your credibility and integrity come into serious question. Fantasy Hockey is a game for most of us, even a passion, but Dobber took the leap to make it his livelihood, just think about that for a second dude, he supports himself and his family thru this site! You cant **** around with that, its just not cool. You gotta consider the adage 'why buy the cow when you get the milk for free' and stop milking Dobber.

Since JMH isnt around to crunch numbers for us as he usually does I've taken the liberty of filling in on this occasion. Going thru this thread and looking at just the skaters you've gave your 'predictions' for, the average difference in pt totals between you and Dobber is only 3.13 pts. Moreover, 44% of them are only +/- 1 point! I find it very difficult to believe that this is mere chance or unaided, especially as there are a good number of these that are unconventional predictions where Dobber went out on a limb a bit or predicted a big breakout etc.

lets kill this thread please, its not fair, and its not cool

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Since JMH isnt around to crunch numbers for us as he usually does I've taken the liberty of filling in on this occasion. Going thru this thread and looking at just the skaters you've gave your 'predictions' for, the average difference in pt totals between you and Dobber is only 3.13 pts. Moreover, 44% of them are only +/- 1 point! I find it very difficult to believe that this is mere chance or unaided, especially as there are a good number of these that are unconventional predictions where Dobber went out on a limb a bit or predicted a big breakout etc.

Wow, those numbers certainly put things in a different light...
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Amen, I'm with Shoeless and Z on this. Playmaker you need to cease and desist, because its not only bullshit, but more importantly its plagiarism. Predictions are fine, we all give our opinions, but if you want to compose a definitive thread that includes all the players in the league, you need to do that BEFORE Dobber puts his guide out, otherwise your credibility and integrity come into serious question. Fantasy Hockey is a game for most of us, even a passion, but Dobber took the leap to make it his livelihood, just think about that for a second dude, he supports himself and his family thru this site! You cant **** around with that, its just not cool. You gotta consider the adage 'why buy the cow when you get the milk for free' and stop milking Dobber.

I'm one of Dobber's biggest supporters and am in no way trying to "do one better" than him. I am trying to give my perspective and help people out, just like when other people give advice.

I'm not going to say Mike Richards is going to get 95 points just because Dobber has him for a certain different number. That would be bad advice because it's not realistic.

You might not think 3.13 points is a big difference but that is what wins and loses pools. If you have a 20 man roster, that is 62.6 points. Pretty big margin.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I bought Dobber's guide and appreciate this thread because I've been using it frequently for my on-going off-line keeper draft. But the numbers Mister McGoo posted have put everything into perspective for me. There is absolutely no way playmaker hasn't taken Dobber's opinion and completely altered his own 'list' when the final results shows a 'within' 3 point prediction for every player so far. 3 points when prediction is practically moot - it's the same prediction. As much as I've loved using this thread, in respect to Dobbs I will stop using it and resort to other methods for fast responses and opinions. I suggest others do the same, cheers.
    12 team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (keep 6)
    G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GAA, SV%, SO

2C - Stamkos
    2LW - Benn
    2RW - Laine, Marner
    4D - Josi
    1Util -
    2G - Rask

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by playmaker26 View Post
    I'm one of Dobber's biggest supporters and am in no way trying to "do one better" than him. I am trying to give my perspective and help people out, just like when other people give advice.

I'm not going to say Mike Richards is going to get 95 points just because Dobber has him for a certain different number. That would be bad advice because it's not realistic.

You might not think 3.13 points is a big difference but that is what wins and loses pools. If you have a 20 man roster, that is 62.6 points. Pretty big margin.
    no dude it doesnt work like that

the 3.13 was calculated as an absolute value (sorry for making some of you folks go dig out that 11th grade math book-lol) to get an idea of how much deviation you had from Dobber's numbers. All that 3.13 means is that on average, you were only slightly more than 3 pts away from Dobber on any given player.

but I'm glad you brought this up in a feeble attempt to defend your indefensible position because it illustrates another key point and shows that it is not at all a 'pretty big margin' as you note. If we add up all Dobbers numbers and all of your numbers for the players you've given 'predictions' for the difference is only +3! In otherwords, sometimes you ranked a player -1 or -2 different, sometimes +1 or +2 etc, but those all cancel out and you wind up only +3 total pts different from what Dobber quoted.

Its time to stop dude, I really dont approve of this, if you wanna do this on your own site or pre-guide I fully support you, but this is ****ing bullshit

Dobber Sports Initiate

After reviewing every post in this thread with Dobber's guide in my hand, there is absoluely no way that Dobb's predictions didn't HEAVILY influence yours. Every player's numbers (especially the hard ones to predict - young players with significant upside) are virtually identical. I'm very good with finite math, and an average distance of 3.3 is VERY small when relating to NHL hockey players point total predictions. To sit here and claim you didn't bite off Dobber's hard work is insulting to our intelligence.
    12 team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (keep 6)
    G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GAA, SV%, SO

2C - Stamkos
    2LW - Benn
    2RW - Laine, Marner
    4D - Josi
    1Util -
    2G - Rask

Dobber Sports Sage

Think what you want but I did not look at his predictions when making mine. I'm done replying to this shit.

I apologize for trying to give advice.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

wow this is incredible!

playmaker I remember you did the same thing last year and I thought it was a little weird that you waited until a week after Dobber released his guide to make your predictions. I certainly hope it is not what it appears but it doesn't look very good for you, why not just man up and just do your predictions before the guide? Then you dont have to argue about any of this with anyone, you can stand behind your predcitions?
    Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.

16 Team Keeper Keep 10, start 15 (3C-3LW-3RW-4D-2G)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, W, SO, GAA, S%

C: Duchene, Giroux, Richards B
    LW: Kessel, Vanek, Marchand
    RW: Perry, Nyqvist, Voraeck
    D: Weber, Wisneiwsky,Phaneuf,Josi,McDonough
    G: Varlamov, Bobrovsky
    BN: Lecavalier, Palat, Bonino

I...am your father.

This is a clash of the titans - some bigtime posters embroiled in this one so I have tread carefully. I don't want to lose any of the great contributers to this community. I'll give playmaker the benefit of the doubt. It's not like it was his first post. It's like his 4500th. I take no offense. I'll close the thread all the same, and yes - to avoid this brouhaha it will be worthwhile to do this in late July next year! In the meantime, feel free to use a prediction of yours here or there when answering questions in the forum, but I guess to avoid any conflicts don't gather them all up in one thread like this anymore.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi