Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Matt Bugg Q&A Pt. III

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Matt Bugg Q&A Pt. III

tryhard87 wrote:
    Hey Bugg, what is your thoughts on Kevin Porter? What will his production be in the next 3 years? Where does he top out?
    Porter: I\'m less sure on him than I was a year ago. He was never able to play \'his\' game, as I think the NHL was a bit too fast mentally for him. I can see him topping out at 50 points on a checking line; he\'d have to really step up to make me change my mind.

Dobber Sports Giant

Hi Matt,

Earlier this week, you told me to look at guys like Kveton and Stefanovich if I get a pick between the 10th and the 15th overall in a standard roto league I\'m in (again assuming all the obvious forwards are gone, that Gustavsson will be gone too and that I don\'t plan to draft any D) as they should offer more than Kreider or Werek type of players.

However, assuming that one of Schroeder, Kadri or Glennie still happen to be there, should I go with them? How about Ferraro? Is he in the \"Kreider/Werek\" type of players category? Or should I go with the BPA and still grab a D and try to make a deal later on?

Thanks in advance and thanks a lot for doing sessions like these! It\'s really appreciated!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Raja wrote:
    Thanks again for doing this! What are some good defenseman that you could see dropping to early 20\'s in a fantasy draft? I know guys like Hedman, Ellis, and Kulikov will almost guaranteed be gone, so I\'m looking for a solid sleeper to grab with the 22nd overall. Will OEL or Rundbland slip that far?
    OEL, probably not. Rundblad, maybe. John Moore and Stefan Elliott, yes. They\'re among the premier skaters in the Draft- depending on who you talk to, it\'s one of those two or Nick Leddy or Schroeder- and both are elite players with the puck on their stick. Moore had a rough year in the USHL but really showed off his stuff towards the end. Elliott, on the other end, was great from Day 1. Forget fourth forward; he\'s often the guy carrying the puck to the net. I love his game and skillset and think he could be a Mike Green No. 2.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Bugg I took over a team and am in the middle of a major re-build. I have the #1, 14, 18, 25, 30, 34 and 36 picks in the top 40. What\'s the earliest you would take a goalie with those picks? What can I expect at each pick outside of the #1? I know its a lot of picks, thanks.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

winnipegrejets wrote:
    hey Bugg

thanks for doing this!

in a deep keeper pool and our prospect draft goes 6 rounds, and there are 12 teams. we have no 1st rounder but lots of late picks. who are some sleepers we can draft in the 40 to 70 pick range. goalies are less valuable and feel there are lots who are interchangeable, so looking more at defensemen and forwards.

thanks again
    That range of picks is really going to be where the steals come from. Just too much talent.

There about 100 reports in the Prospect Report. Some of them I\'d advise you read up on as far as sleeper skaters:

LW Andrej Nestrasil (PF)
    RW Alex Chiasson (PF)
    C Dan DeLisle (PF)
    RW Jerry D\'Amigo (PF)
    D Simon Lof (Silky smooth D)
    F Ben Hanowski (Record-setting HS player)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Dangles wrote:
    bugg what is your opinion of francois bouchard as far as how big of an impact he will make and what kind of point totals he can achieve? thanks
    I\'ve really mellowed on Bouchard. He\'s been a non-factor in the pro game thus far, and can\'t seem to do much but lose the puck or give it away. He may end up being more of a grinder/energy guy, which is too bad. He\'s extremely smart.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

elevatemysoul wrote:
    Hey Bugg, thanks again for doing this. I know MPS\'s upside is higher in terms of points, but in a league that counts PIMs as well as points, how would you rank MPS, Schenn and Kane? Thanks tons.
    It\'s tough. MPS probably still has a slight edge in fantasy value, but I\'d put Kane/Schenn almost dead even. Kane gets the edge if you count goals and ES goals as well.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Chicleteur wrote:
    Hi Matt,

Earlier this week, you told me to look at guys like Kveton and Stefanovich if I get a pick between the 10th and the 15th overall in a standard roto league I\'m in (again assuming all the obvious forwards are gone, that Gustavsson will be gone too and that I don\'t plan to draft any D) as they should offer more than Kreider or Werek type of players.

However, assuming that one of Schroeder, Kadri or Glennie still happen to be there, should I go with them? How about Ferraro? Is he in the \"Kreider/Werek\" type of players category? Or should I go with the BPA and still grab a D and try to make a deal later on?

Thanks in advance and thanks a lot for doing sessions like these! It\'s really appreciated!
    No problem!

I would definitely take Schroeder ahead of either. Kadri is the best one-on-one player the Draft, but I feel the negatives outweigh the positives.

As for Ferraro, yes, he\'s in that second tier. I think he\'s right up there with Leblanc and Werek as the potential steal of the Draft; he has so much speed and his shot is world-class.

Dobber Sports Genius

I hold the 10th, 12th and 15th overall picks in my upcoming 09 Prospect Draft. We have prospect teams so having immediate impact isn\'t a must but I would rather have someone who can step up ASAP.

H2H stats - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FW, GWG.

Who would you pick? My biggest weakness are both wings but I still want the best player available regardless of position.

I want Ellis for sure with one of those picks... probably my 10th or 12th? Who would you recommend to take with these picks and is Ellis a good choice?
    14 GM H2H Salary Cap League (Salaries not Caps)
    Stats:G A +/- PIM PPG PPA SHP GWG SOG FW HITS|W GAA SV SV% SHO
    Start: 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2UTIL,2G
    Prospect Farm (<92GP skaters, <60 goalies)

Dobber Pro League Wales Division - Roto
    Stats: G,A,+/-,PiM,PPP,SOG|W,GAA,Saves
    Start: 4C,4L,4R,6D,2G (Weekly changes)
    2010 - 3rd place
    2009 - 3rd place

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for doing this Matt

With this year being a great draft and I can only protect 20 prospects. What would you do? What guys should I target? What guys should I drop? I\'m good with goalies but should I drop a couple and pick up someone else?

I have the #10, #15, #20, #21, #25, &amp; #26 2009 picks

Prospects
    Jeffrey, Dustin C BUF
    Perreault, Mathieu C WAS
    Stoa, Ryan C COL
    Tedenby, Mattias W NJ
    Veilleux, Keven C PIT
    Wandell, Tom C DAL
    Hjalmarsson, Simon W STL
    Kennedy, Tim LW BUF
    Makarov, Igor RW CHI
    Mayorov, Maxim LW CLB
    Skille, Jack RW CHI

Gilroy, Matt D NYR
    Goncharov, Maxim D PHO
    McBain, Jamie D CAR
    Shattenkirk, Kevin D COL

Eriksson, Joacim G PHI
    Gustavsson, Jonas G
    Neuvirth, Michal G WAS
    Sateri, Harri G SJ
    Varlamov, Simeon G WAS
    16 Team Keeper Pool. 2008-09 Champ.
    Starters 12 Forwards, 6 Defence, 1 Goalie, 5 Bench, 20 Prospects
    Forwards. R.Nugent-Hopkins, N.Yakupov, N.MacKinnon, J.Skinner, J.Huberdeau, M.Paajarvi, M.Granlund, J.Silfverberg, , N.Niederreiter, M.Frolik, A.Chiasson
    Defence. K.Letang, A.Pietrangelo, E.Karlsson, J.Schultz, A.Edler, J.Hillen
    Goalie. T.Rask
    Bench C.Schneider, K.Ramo, R.Murray, ,
    (Farm) Forwards. M.Domi, R.Faksa, J.Gaudreau, S.Collberg,
    Defence. R.Pulock, D.Nurse, O.Klefbom
    Goalies. M.Hellberg, M.Subban, R.Berra

Dobber Sports Apprentice

big_dl wrote:
    Bugg I took over a team and am in the middle of a major re-build. I have the #1, 14, 18, 25, 30, 34 and 36 picks in the top 40. What\'s the earliest you would take a goalie with those picks? What can I expect at each pick outside of the #1? I know its a lot of picks, thanks.
    Holy crap, that\'s a lot of picks!

Goalie: If you really have a preference and really need one, I\'d take one as high as 30. Probably no higher unless you have a team above you that is really hurting, but you should be able to invest in a bevy of skaters first before grabbing Olivier Roy or Mike Lee.

Dobber Sports Giant

mrbugg wrote:
    Chicleteur wrote:
    Hi Matt,

However, assuming that one of Schroeder, Kadri or Glennie still happen to be there, should I go with them? How about Ferraro? Is he in the \&quot;Kreider/Werek\&quot; type of players category? Or should I go with the BPA and still grab a D and try to make a deal later on?

No problem!

I would definitely take Schroeder ahead of either. Kadri is the best one-on-one player the Draft, but I feel the negatives outweigh the positives.

As for Ferraro, yes, he\'s in that second tier. I think he\'s right up there with Leblanc and Werek as the potential steal of the Draft; he has so much speed and his shot is world-class.
    Great! Thanks again! So if it\'s Schroeder yes, if it\'s Kadri probably not, but should if it\'s Glennie, so I take him over the other guy you talked me about?

How about my idea of going with the BPA and grab a D in hoping to trade him later on?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

joos wrote:
    I hold the 10th, 12th and 15th overall picks in my upcoming 09 Prospect Draft. We have prospect teams so having immediate impact isn\'t a must but I would rather have someone who can step up ASAP.

H2H stats - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FW, GWG.

Who would you pick? My biggest weakness are both wings but I still want the best player available regardless of position.

I want Ellis for sure with one of those picks... probably my 10th or 12th? Who would you recommend to take with these picks and is Ellis a good choice?
    You may not get Ellis even at ten if other poolies in your league follow my advice; in a fantasy league, he\'s a top-seven pick.

To take full advantage of those categories, I\'d probably grab Ellis (if possible), Schroeder (if Ellis is gone, take at 10) and Louis Leblanc. All three are offensive dynamos that will get you a lot of PP production. If Ellis is off the board and you take Schroeder at 10, pick up John Moore or David Rundblad somewhere in there. Both are elite skaters who love to rush the puck.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

BC Bandits wrote:
    Thanks for doing this Matt

With this year being a great draft and I can only protect 20 prospects. What would you do? What guys should I target? What guys should I drop? I\'m good with goalies but should I drop a couple and pick up someone else?

I have the #10, #15, #20, #21, #25, &amp; #26 2009 picks

Prospects
    Jeffrey, Dustin C BUF
    Perreault, Mathieu C WAS
    Stoa, Ryan C COL
    Tedenby, Mattias W NJ
    Veilleux, Keven C PIT
    Wandell, Tom C DAL
    Hjalmarsson, Simon W STL
    Kennedy, Tim LW BUF
    Makarov, Igor RW CHI
    Mayorov, Maxim LW CLB
    Skille, Jack RW CHI

Gilroy, Matt D NYR
    Goncharov, Maxim D PHO
    McBain, Jamie D CAR
    Shattenkirk, Kevin D COL

Eriksson, Joacim G PHI
    Gustavsson, Jonas G
    Neuvirth, Michal G WAS
    Sateri, Harri G SJ
    Varlamov, Simeon G WAS
    Wow, that\'s a tough choice to make. Your goalies and D include most of the premier prospects in hockey, so I wouldn\'t dare drop any of them. As such, the only immediate cuts I see are Wandell, Skille and Jeffrey. I\'m also not sold on Veilleux, so that may be another.

You know what I would do? Try and use those picks to move up. You need fewer depth forwards and more elite talent. See if you can get #1 or #2.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Where would you put Jonas Gustavsson (G) in the list of \'09 Draftees?