Thread: burns new article - chris simon

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re:burns new article - chris simon

Agreed.

How about those Blue Jays?

Post edited by: hoopej2, at: 2007/03/21 14:51

I...am your father.

Yes - guys - if you get me started on politics, not only will you not get me to shut up but some of you might start to hate me.

B)

Back to hockey stuff, no more race talk. Only the Simon slash talk.

I don\'t think the Simon slash was as brutal as the whiners say and I also don\'t think Bertuzzi broke Moore\'s neck. He suckered him from behind, fell on him, and Moore\'s idiot teammates that all jumped on the pile were what broke his neck.
    If they didn\'t do that, and Moore sustained a mild concussion, than Bert would have had a 10 gamer, nothing more.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Icon

That\'s what\'s aggrevating to me about this issue in general. It seems as though the severity of the discipline comes from the amount of injury sustained from the offense.

The fact that Simon did not chop his head off is a blessing for sure, but I don\'t think the NHL should reward his ineptitude with a lesser suspension. The intent was obviously there. Bertuzzi on the other hand had no intent to break Moore\'s neck and he got an 80+ game suspension. It just doesn\'t seem right...

------------------

Sorry for the branch off into politics everyone. These threads about the ramblings and articles on this site seem to take on a life of their own sometimes (the March 9 ramblings brodeur thread). I\'ll try and think of better analogies to get my points across, since I understand politics is not a place any of us really want to go.

I still find it interesting that Canada? has a law against slurs... I don\'t know much about Canadian law, so it was a somewhat enlightening thread for me. But yeah. My political talk ends here.
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Rookie

Wow ... my little Top 10 list sure fired the boys up. As a former player at the highest level of hockey, the one thing I can say is that what is actually said on the ice is so much worse than the odd incident we actually hear about. However, there is a player\'s code that race is not brought into it. You can go after a guy\'s mother, sister, or wife, and pretty much any other topic, but leave the race/skin color thing out of it. In addition, I would think you would need to be pretty uneducated to not come up with something better than a slur. Regardless, I agree with Dobber that this forum is not the place for these kinds of discussions, but rather a place to celebrate the one thing that makes us all equal when it comes to ignorance (and bliss) ... and that is fantasy hockey.

Funny ... no comments on the Buffalo/timezone factoid

Dobber Sports Expert

Burnsy: Highest level of hockey? Did you play in the NHL?

edit: I guess I should have read your bio before posting that question :P

Post edited by: repenttokyo, at: 2007/03/21 15:20

WRT
    Funny ... no comments on the Buffalo/timezone factoid
    I\'m surprised this isn\'t more well known. I\'m amazed that the teams out west haven\'t screamed bloody murder about the differences in travel. I haven\'t looked into whether it\'s true or not but if it is, that means BUF hasn\'t played many of the better teams in the NHL other than in their own barn. No wonder they have a great record.

Don\'t get me wrong, I think the Sabres have a great team and I hope they win it all if TML can\'t but not playing SJ, VAN, CGY or COL on the road makes their season a lot easier.

Dobber Sports Icon

The schedule is just so stupid I try not to think about it. Living in the D.C. area, I only get to see the Canucks, Flames, Sharks, etc (some of my favorite teams) come to town ONCE every THREE YEARS.

It\'s stupid. But I get to watch Florida play the Caps every other day of the week... Yay...

The way I see it, if anything this tidbit about Buffalo bodes BADLY for them. All the teams in the west are adjusted to globetrotting and made it to the playoffs anyways. The Sabres, on the other hand, aren\'t acclamated to packing up, flying to a different time zone, and playing jetlagged. Remember, games out west don\'t start until 10:00pm eastern time... the Sabres would be playing games in the finals that go past midnight (their time). Meanwhile, the games played in Buffalo will be played around 2 or 3:00pm western time (this alone gives the western teams a huge advantage). I wonder, if the sabres even get to the stanley cup finals, if this will wear them down over a \"seven\" game series (since they aren\'t used to it).

Post edited by: lanky522, at: 2007/03/21 15:45
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

I don\'t see how the timezone affects the Sabres at all before the finals, if they make it there. They won\'t have had to play any games outside of their timezone before getting to the finals as they are in the EASTERN conference and the East doesn\'t meet the West until the finals. The NHL is funny that way. They put the teams in the East in the Eastern conference and the teams in the West in the Western conference. It\'s brilliant if you ask me.

Dobber Sports Expert

lol.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Dobber wrote:
    Back to hockey stuff, no more race talk. Only the Simon slash talk.
    Sorry to revive this, but I\'ve been biting my tongue since this thread began...

Given that Chris Simon is aboriginal, I\'m sure he\'s heard his share of slurs, both on the ice and off. Not that this excuses the slur or the slash (or Tootoo\'s behaviour in general), but I believe it provides some useful context. (I\'d post more, but my conscience is telling me it would be ill-advised.)

(And before anyone asks, I\'m just another white guy -- proud to work for aboriginals.)

Dobber Sports Expert

i fail to see the useful context, maybe you could elucidate?

Dobber Sports Initiate

I daren\'t.

Perhaps Hollweg called him something. I don\'t know.

But that\'s not what I was getting at, and I\'m going to drop it here. Sorry.

Dobber Sports Rookie

With all the political and racial crap this column has started, I hope to God I never have to write about Yutaka Fukufuji and Ray Emery doing battle during a line brawl ... that may really spark some chatter. In regards to the Simon being Native American thing, it just struck me that Tootoo is as well. If Ted Nolan gets suspended this week I think we have the makings of a real story.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Heh... At least Jonathan Cheechoo and Sheldon Souray are staying out of trouble.

I...am your father.

I agree with the Buffalo timezone thing, however it may be a disadvantage if they play the Canucks, flames, or Ducks in the finals. After all, those three teams are used to heavy travel. Buffalo...not so much. They won\'t know what hit\'em! They\'ll be falling asleep on the ice in every road game!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi