Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley Cup Finals 2009: Detroit vs. Pittsburgh

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Stanley Cup Finals 2009: Detroit vs. Pittsburgh

Wings are talented and all, but everything within me wants to see the start of a new Dynasty. I\'m hoping for a completely dominant Penguins series win.

Who knows what will actually happen.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Everybody is gonna laugh at me, but I really think the NHL neeeds the Rangers to win the cup.(or at least make the finals) It\'s no coincidence that the NHL had it\'s biggest boom of interest outside of Canada when the Rangers were making ther cup run in \'94. And nobody can say that im a homer about this because I criticize the Rangers\' stupidity and shittiness any chance I get. Im just a realist.

Anyway, Sid vs. Ovy did very little to raise interest in the NHL. Sid vs. the Wings did very little last year. Sid vs. the Wings will most likely do very little again this year to help the potential growth/marketing of the NHL.

Forget about Bettman\'s wet dream every year of Crosby vs. Ovy in the Eastern Conference finals to raise interest in the sport. He needs to concern himself with the Rangers vs. an exciting western conference team in the Finals.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

From Wikipedia:

Game one of the 2008 Stanley Cup Finals had a 1.8 rating in the United States, drawing 2.3 million viewers. The rating was a 157% increase over the previous Playoff Finals opener, and a 100% rise from two years previous.[11] Game two had a 1.9 rating, drawing 2.5 million viewers. It was the highest-rated and most-watched cable telecast of the finals in six years in the United States. The rating was the highest for an NHL game on Versus and the second highest rating for a Versus broadcast ever only to Lance Armstrong\'s seventh straight Tour de France victory in 2005 (2.1).[12] Game three drew a 2.8 rating, representing an 87% increase over the previous year\'s game three. In Detroit, game three drew higher ratings (18.2) than game five of the 2008 NBA Eastern Conference Finals between the Detroit Pistons and the Boston Celtics (15.9).[13] Game four earned a 2.3 rating, up 21% over the previous year\'s game four. Game five drew a 4.3 rating, representing a 79% increase from the previous year\'s game five. It drew the highest ratings for a game five since 2002.[14] Game six had a 4.4 rating, the best performance in a game six since 2000. It was a 100% increase over game six of 2006 and was the highest rated game for NBC since they reacquired the NHL broadcasting rights in 2004.[15]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Stanley_Cup_Finals

Sid vs. the Wings was the best finals in years marketing-wise.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Sage

NYR9394 wrote:
    Everybody is gonna laugh at me, but I really think the NHL neeeds the Rangers to win the cup.(or at least make the finals) It\'s no coincidence that the NHL had it\'s biggest boom of interest outside of Canada when the Rangers were making ther cup run in \'94. And nobody can say that im a homer about this because I criticize the Rangers\' stupidity and shittiness any chance I get. Im just a realist.

Anyway, Sid vs. Ovy did very little to raise interest in the NHL. Sid vs. the Wings did very little last year. Sid vs. the Wings will most likely do very little again this year to help the potential growth/marketing of the NHL.

Forget about Bettman\'s wet dream every year of Crosby vs. Ovy in the Eastern Conference finals to raise interest in the sport. He needs to concern himself with the Rangers vs. an exciting western conference team in the Finals.
    Sid vs. Ovy did very little to raise interest in the NHL? Were you around during that series? Shows that rarely talk about hockey were not only mentioning it, but it was one of the hottest topics. Hockey has taken a backseat again but that has a lot to do with the NBA playoffs actually being better than the NHL playoffs right now.

Shows like PTI and Around the Horn opened up with hockey during that match-up. It did a lot for the game.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think he\'s talking long term.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Nolansarmy wrote:
    Penguins in 6! The wings are pretty banged up and a short layoff won\'t help them any!
    I can\'t wait to see Hossa\'s face when he loses two years in a row, but getting so close :woohoo:

Going to agree with the first 3 words of this thread.

HONESTLY on a 2:1 Id put down $1000. And Im poor, hahaha.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

ItsAlwaysSunnyInDetroit wrote:
    Grinder wrote:

Looking at the scheduling, and two games this weekend....I like Pitt more than ever. They\'ll split the first two, then take both in Pitt, lose in Det, and win it all at home. Pens in 6.

I agree totally, I was thinking that precise scenario while reading the other posts before yours.

Banned

dcarrbaby wrote:
    Nolansarmy wrote:
    Penguins in 6! The wings are pretty banged up and a short layoff won\'t help them any!
    I can\'t wait to see Hossa\'s face when he loses two years in a row, but getting so close :woohoo:

Not going to agree with the first 3 words of this thread.

HONESTLY on a 2:1 Id put down $1000. And Im poor, hahaha.
    that would be a very foolish bet...I personally think it will go 7 games myself but this is one of the closest matchups I can recall in the finals in awhile. This is NOT a repeat of last year at all, it could literally go either way so I would not be surprised if it were DET in 6, PIT in 6 or either in 7, its just too close to call

Dobber Sports Initiate

Sorry Mcgoo, my reply way a typo. Ive changed it. I think Pitt in 6. Im a gambling man, and I think KARMA gets Hossa.

Dobber Sports Expert

MolsonX wrote:
    Cheering for the Pens, but I\'m agreeing with playmaker. Wings in 6.
    To be the best you have to beat the best. I think until PIT actually wins the CUP the smart money is still on the WINGS who have the better coach and team system [even if they limp in]. Their contributing depth players are also better than PIT\'s.

Last year calling the WINGS was easy...this year it\'s tighter, I agree.

Here\'s to hoping the Crosby and Malkin show continues to roll, but if I\'m laying money it\'s still DET in 7.

Cheers.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Wizard

andrewklassen wrote:
    MolsonX wrote:
    Cheering for the Pens, but I\'m agreeing with playmaker. Wings in 6.
    To be the best you have to beat the best. I think until PIT actually wins the CUP the smart money is still on the WINGS who have the better coach and team system [even if they limp in]. Their contributing depth players are also better than PIT\'s.

Last year calling the WINGS was easy...this year it\'s tighter, I agree.

Here\'s to hoping the Crosby and Malkin show continues to roll, but if I\'m laying money it\'s still DET in 7.

Cheers.
    The better team system is exactly why I see the Wings taking this down. No question Bylsma has done an amazing job, but the wings are just too good, and so well disciplined within their team systems.

I agree it\'ll be a closer series this year, and the sched (with the 2 back to backs) may favor the Pens, but overall the Wings are just a deeper team. The only way the Pens take it is if they dominate special teams play, and the Wings have an off-series on the PP and PK.

Some have pointed out that Dats and Lidstrom may be banged up, but remember, so is Gonchar.

Don\'t get me wrong, I\'m cheering for the Pens, but the Wings are just too disciplined, and even in goal I would give the edge to Osgood.

Here\'s hoping for a great Finals.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

doulos wrote:
    Thank you.

These finals, just like last year or the Was-Pit series will do nothing to raise the popularity of hockey. It doesnt really matter if a few extra eyeballs watched the last two years playoffs. That should give you an idea of how bad ratings have been for hockey over the past couple of seasons. Im just saying that hockey is a sport for the hardcore fan base and these playoffs wont change that.

I think that the Wings are way too deep when you start factoring in secondary scoring, etc. The intangibles favour Det. I just don\'t think Pit has enough to overcome Det. I think Det in 6 is about right. Either way, it should be a great series for the fans of the game.

Dobber Sports Stud

NYR9394 wrote:
    doulos wrote:
    Thank you.

These finals, just like last year or the Was-Pit series will do nothing to raise the popularity of hockey. It doesnt really matter if a few extra eyeballs watched the last two years playoffs. That should give you an idea of how bad ratings have been for hockey over the past couple of seasons. Im just saying that hockey is a sport for the hardcore fan base and these playoffs wont change that.
    If the Rangers have to make the finals to sparks interest for hockey in the states then that is pretty damn sad...

As for the finals, I am picking the Pens...Crosby is gonna WILL his way to the Cup this year....
    ***2018-19 11th Place***

16 TEAM KEEPER
    FORWARDS (G,A,Pts,+/-,PIM,PPG)
    LW:Marchand, Ehlers, Debrusk, Comtois (B-Empty)
    C:Matthews, White, Kotkaniemi, Hughes (B-Empty)
    RW:Laine, Labanc, Buchnevich, Terry (B-Kyrou)
    DEFENSE (G,A,+/-,PIM)
    Shea Weber, Ekman-Larsson, Morrissey, Schultz, Parayko, Hronek (B-Girard, Matheson)
    GOAL (Min,W,GGA)
    Hellebuyck, Markstrom, Samsonov
    PROSPECTS
    Lafraniere (2020)

Dobber Sports Expert

I have to go with the Wings here. THe detroit is is just too deep and they will shut down Crosby and Malkin mostly. Look what they did to Kane and Toews.....

Wings in 7. 2 overtime loses by wings.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.