Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Respect in the Forum and - Another Mod needed

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Respect in the Forum and - Another Mod needed

Hey Dobber,

How about an option to turn off all avatars? or is there a way in Internet Explorer to do something like that (No Photos)?

I hope Mr. T on a stain glass window is alright lol

I think for the most part these forums are always respectful. I mean even if someone disagree\'s with me or I get something wrong, Ive never been made to feel like a complete jackass.

I just feel when certain people bring up politics/religion it starts to get a bit heated and really neither of them have a place here unless they put together a religion cup instead of the world cup.

Banned

While I definitely enjoy Dutch\'s posts a lot more now... ...my gf was reading a thread with me and I sure got an earful. Thanks Dutch.
    your welcome

i changed it up for you. Don\'t wanna get you in trouble my friend

Dobber Sports Sage

Dutch wrote:
    While I definitely enjoy Dutch\'s posts a lot more now... ...my gf was reading a thread with me and I sure got an earful. Thanks Dutch.
    your welcome

i changed it up for you. Don\'t wanna get you in trouble my friend
    Haha, it was a week ago, and it wasnt really anything big. She just covered up your avatar and yelled at me not to look at her cans. She was actually quite impressed with how big they were.
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Banned

Haha, it was a week ago, and it wasnt really anything big. She just covered up your avatar and yelled at me not to look at her cans. She was actually quite impressed with how big they were

hahahaha that\'s funny haha!

maybe once the swine flu is over, I\'ll go back to a pretty girl, but maybe not the same. I\'ll find a good one

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I like the guidelines Dobber - they seem quite appropriate. Generally I would give this site an A+ for it\'s respectful culture as people do seem to self-police pretty effectively. Sure there are leaks and it would be nice if they didn\'t occur.

Having mods use their judgment to lock a thread that is going sideways makes ultimate sense to me. I don\'t see it as being heavy handed at all. Of course, there is a range of judgment, but I would rather see a mod err on the side of being conservative in cases like this and would support them pre-empting further damage in any debate that ensues.

I think how a mod locks down a thread is very important though. My strongest recommendation is to simply make a statement that \"the thread is now locked\" and say no more. No moralizing, slapping around or anything like that. It\'s a job they are given and you are the check in the system, as you have asked that they report it to you. They don\'t have to justify their action to us and any finger pointing could just brew trouble. I have seen this happen here occasionally and it tends to exacerbate things. Not worth it.

I think mods are in a bit of a delicate situation - not only do they have an admin function to serve and help keep things sorted and healthy but they also are active members with wants and needs to discuss, debate and seek info. Unfortunately for them, what comes with the little mod name tag is wearing the face of the organization - they need to be careful in their approach to posting as a member - authority can be inferred even if the intent is not there and there are lots of folks who react strongly to that.

Anyway, thumbs up for this.

Dobber Sports All-Star

shoeless, if you ever run for office I want to be your campaign manager...
    on fantasy hockey hiatus!!!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

LOL - well don\'t hold your breath - I am not the type to run for office. But if I do, I\'ll give you a shout.

Dobber Sports Expert

I think a certain Rotoworld Forums Mod deserves to have modship here.... who can that be???
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Boo to this thread.

no f bombs. no naked broads.

Lets leave it at that.

sheesh.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

gmw wrote:
    Boo to this thread.

no f bombs. no naked broads.

Lets leave it at that.

sheesh.
    I agree, I joined here because I couldnt stand the oppressive atmosphere at HF boards, they really suck all the fun out of the community over there.
    12 Team H2H
    G A +/- PIM HITS GWG PPP SHP W GAA S% SO

Dobber Sports Ninja

No one is trying to create an \"oppressive atmosphere\" here.

Personally I just see this as a reminder in common sense.

IE Don\'t be a moron.

Seems obvious but based on the way things have progressed in many threads lately, it\'s not so simple to follow (I\'ve been at fault as well in the past).

At the end of the day though, as the number of people that frequent the forums increases, so do the number of trolls and people just trying to gain attention by being idiots. It\'s just one of those things that is inevitable.

While I think this is a great thread to remind people of what the purpose of the forums is, I doubt it will help.

I know my time here has dried up for the most part.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

hey doulos i think you missed what i was saying, i agree completely with the intent of Dobber with this post i\'m just being the voice of caution to beware the slippery slope if you start to take ti too far and start policing everything.

you are right about the trolls too, it seems to me that some of the recent fights ive read have been fueled by a few bad eggs
    12 Team H2H
    G A +/- PIM HITS GWG PPP SHP W GAA S% SO