Thread: Ryan Miller for....

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Ryan Miller for....

Whoa, my first post! Very cool site and the pool guide pretty much rocks. Gotta send props out to Shoeless, who has helped me countless times in previous seasons.

Here\'s my situation:

In our league, teams can only carry 2 netminders at any given time. The stats we track for goalies are W, SV% and SO. This is out of 9 total categories.

I was lucky to draft Lundqvist and Miller. Here\'s what I need help with:

1. What is Ryan Millers equivalent in a 1-1 trade for a fwd? Guys that I\'m looking at are: Zetterberg, Vanek, Cheechoo, O. Jokinen, and Datsyuk. Am I way out of line here?
    2. What is your opinion on how Carolina/Phi will do this year?
    3. If I can pull off Miller for XXXX trade, would you pick up Ward, Kolzig or Biron to fill the gap?
    4. Stand pat and enjoy?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    H2H (10 Team): G, A, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocked Shots - W, GAA, Sv%, SO
    Keep 4; Play 2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1F, 4D, 1UTL, 2G

C: Crosby, Johansen, Stepan, Johnson
    RW: Simmonds, Backes, Toffoli, Okposo, Brouwer
    LW: Ovechkin, Lucic, Landeskog, Palat
    D: Karlsson, Josi, Shattenkirk, Gudas, Parayko
    G: Holtby, Allen, Talbot

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re:Ryan Miller for....

Hey Gern - congrats on your first post - hope there are many more.

Could you let us know how many teams in the league? That will provide some idea of Miller\'s value. The fact that Ward and Biron are floating seems to indicate that guys are not dying for goalies - so Miller\'s value may not be quite as much as you hope.

On the other hand if Sabres come out strong and Miller does asa well then you may be able to approach some of those players you list.

Post edited by: Shoeless, at: 2007/09/30 20:10

Dobber Sports Apprentice

10 teams, one keeper per team per year, G, A, PPP, PIM, SHP, GWG, W, SA% & SHO are the stats. I took Miller in the 4th and all the dudes I mentioned are either 3rd or 4th rounders too (1st round was all the keepers). We\'ve \"dumbed\" down the goal position for some of the less expereinced/lazy owners in the league. Remember, we can only have 2 goalies on the roster at any given time (except in an IR situation) and were only playing one per day too.

Lundy will do fine on his own, but do I need two Tier I goalies? (See... I did read the pool guide!) If I can get some ofense out of a trade, swallowing a Tier II or III goalie seem okay????

I just dont know.

Post edited by: Gern Blansten, at: 2007/09/30 20:27

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think bottom line is you MUST have at least 1 Tier 1 goalie to be competitive. Having two strengthens your team more than most people can vision. I was dead set on selecting 2 goalies first this year to make sure I have that basis. It is the one position that if you don\'t have quality, you are absolutely screwed. i.e. I drafted 4 goalies, and just offloaded Toskala for Demitra AND a 2nd round next year...all because I had the depth.

If you shoot yourself in the foot with your goalies and one gets injured and you\'re left with backups or Tier 3\'s, in order to stay competitive you\'re going to get railed in a trade. That\'s the way it goes in fantasy land.

Keep your 2 most solid goalies, and ride them into the sunset. Hey, worse comes to worse (or is it worst to worst?) you can deal one later in the year to someone who has an injured goalie!
    Y! H2H-12 Team; 6th yr - keep 14 for 12-13 season. (*kept from last year)

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,SOG,SH%, HITS
    W,GA,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO

3C- *Stamkos, *Tavares, *Ribiero, Little (+RW), Brassard, Roy
    3LW- *Ovechkin, *Lupul (+RW), Jokinen (+C), McDonald (+C)
    3RW- *Kessel, *Semin (+LW), *Skinner (+C), *Voracek, Purcell
    4D- *Phanuef, *Green, Carle, Wisniewski, Ellis
    4Util
    2G- *Luongo, *Halak, *Holtby, Lindback
    IR - None (yet)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Sorry Gern should have asked this too - what format is your league? H2H, Points, roto?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

mxpxillini35 wrote:
    I think bottom line is you MUST have at least 1 Tier 1 goalie to be competitive. Having two strengthens your team more than most people can vision. I was dead set on selecting 2 goalies first this year to make sure I have that basis. It is the one position that if you don\'t have quality, you are absolutely screwed. i.e. I drafted 4 goalies, and just offloaded Toskala for Demitra AND a 2nd round next year...all because I had the depth.
    I disagree with that. I got first pick this year in a 18 team league and racked my brains wondering if I should pick Crosby or Luongo... I ended up with Crosby and used my 2nd,3rd and 6th pick to land Dipietro, Mason, and Legace after the goalie rush. I do not think a tier 1 a absolute necessity, although its definitely preferred. I believe with my 3 starters, I can compete with a GM with two tier ones like Luongo and Miller. The drawback is, I have to use an extra player to bridge the gap. Am I living in fantasyland?
    Yahoo H2H Keeper league 14 teams
    G,A,+/-.PIMs,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,W,GAA,SV%,SO
    LW: Huberdeau, Drouin, Parise, Palat
    RW: Laine, Radulov, Silfverberg, Williams
    C: Galchenyuk, Wennberg, Granlund, Fabbri
    D: Klingberg, Byfuglien, Parayko, Petry
    G: Gibson, Pickard, Nilsson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Shoeless wrote:
    Sorry Gern should have asked this too - what format is your league? H2H, Points, roto?
    H2H

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well I think you can afford to let Miller go in a trade and go with a tier II guy - you will lose a little but if it is the right guy you pick up - you should be fine - Lundie is going to be a horse this year - he wants to play all the games so good for you.

As to Miller\'s value - I think you would be fotunate in your league to get a player of the calibre you have mentioned. But I really think that is where you start shopping. You can start making offers and see what comes back and go from there.

There is another possibility and that is to shop Miller with a player you would like to upgrade and ask for a Tier II goalie in return in the package. Something like Miller/Prospal for Jokinen/Toskala or Dipietro/ That might make it seem more equivalent. Not sure who you have on the roster but that might be an effective strategy as well.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Cheers Shoeless!

The manager I targeted has Giggy/Manny for goailes. Hurting for sure. I offered Miller/Modano for Datsyuk/Manny. I\'ll drop Manny and pick up either Ward or Biron (probably Ward).

Sound okay?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Cheers Shoeless!

The manager I targeted has Giggy/Manny for goailes. Hurting for sure. I offered Miller/Modano for Datsyuk/Manny. I\'ll drop Manny and pick up either Ward or Biron (probably Ward).

Sound okay?

Stupid double post! (in my best Homer Simpson voice)

Post edited by: Gern Blansten, at: 2007/10/02 00:55

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Hi Gern,

Welcome.
    I agree with Shoeless, if you can deal miller for offence help, then pick up ward or biron, you\'ve improved your team.
    I can\'t believe biron and ward are still available
    Fantasy Hockey
    Buy It Now Fantasy Hockey Guide and WIN Your Pool

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Sounds like a good deal Dats over Modano has to be big for you over Miller down to Ward. Since your league only plays 1 goalie and you have the King - hope it gets done.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I currently have DiPietro, Kolzig, and Toskala, and am really feeling the pressure for a goaltending upgrade.

One guy in my league has Miller, Luongo, Lehtonen.

I have Staal, Jokinen, and Roy at C, and I\'m not willing to part with Jokinen. I would probably get rid of Staal for Miller however.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

chowder wrote:
    I currently have DiPietro, Kolzig, and Toskala, and am really feeling the pressure for a goaltending upgrade.

One guy in my league has Miller, Luongo, Lehtonen.

I have Staal, Jokinen, and Roy at C, and I\'m not willing to part with Jokinen. I would probably get rid of Staal for Miller however.
    I thought long and hard about the E. Staal/Miller trade and probably would do it if I didnt have Williams and Stillman. Roy & Jokinen will have great years and C\'s are a dime a dozen. That would be a good upgrade for your team.