Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Comish Dynasty Playoff/Draft Update

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Comish Dynasty Playoff/Draft Update

Hey guys,

I know this is long overdue, but it\'s time to address some of the questions moving forward.

The five round draft that takes place sometime after the NHL entry draft will be serpentine.

The playoff winner will draft first overall and the other playoff finalist will draft second overall.

The rest of the draft order for next season will be reverse order of the standings with a little twist. Our teams will be matched with an NHL team corresponding with our overall finishing position. For example, if you finish dead last, you will be matched with NYI (assuming they finish in last), the second last finisher in our league, will be matched with the second last NHL team, etc.

This will be important because the winner of the lottery will also be the winner in our league. Same rules apply, a team can only move up four spots.

PLAYOFFS

This had already been written in the rules, but I will reiterate here:

H2H: 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, etc.
    Reseeded (best vs worst) each round

1 point for each point, 2 points/win + 2 points/shutout for goalies. Must declare rosters the day before first game of each round. Email to The Comish who will manually maintain excel scoresheet.

Reduced rosters each round:

Round One: 11 F/D + 1 G
    Round Two: 9 F/D + 1 G
    Round Three: 7 F/D + 1 G
    Round Four: 5 F/D + 1 G

Questions? Let me know.

Edit: Does anyone have a problem with giving the winner of the league the 3rd overall pick? In the rules, after the two playoff finalists, the two new guys (not this year) would draft next, followed by the winner of the C division, then the winner of B division, then the Division A winner.

Is there any good reason not to reward the overall winner of the pool next draft? Let me know guys! Thanks
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ace

I don\'t see why the winner of the regular season shouldn\'t get the 3rd overall pick. Thats following the rules as closely as you can in my opinion given the circumstances of the first year.
    12 team roto with 6 keepers, G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG, W SV% SHO
    C-Crosby Spezza Connolly
    L-Smyth Rolston Malone Sullivan
    R-Hemsky Ryan Ryder Backes Fleischmann Cleary
    D-Phaneuf Rafalski Whitney Pitkanen
    G-Lundqvist Bryzgalov Theodore Rinne

Super Moderator

Yeah, I got a good reason. . . I\'ll move down another spot. :angry: :angry:

I\'m just messin\', I don\'t see a problem with it at all.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Initiate

lol it sucks for me tho.But oh well. By the way I have 2 1st RD draft Picks up for grabs.
    League - YOUNG STARS DYNASTY LEAGUE
    12 teams

MY TEAM

Kovalchuk/Tavares/Zetterberg
    Michalek/ Thornton /Nash
    E.Cole/ Spezza/ Purcell

Suter/Jack Johnsson
    Del Zotto/ Hedmen

Miller / Hiller

Benched Players

Tanguay/Desharnis/Hemsky
    McDonald/Nyquist /Selanne

Gardiner/ Orlov

Dobber Sports Giant

Russ, I\'ve already told you that I have no problem about this late change, but Anonymous commnents about following the rules as closely as you can makes me think about something. We probably should leave the last two team in the mix as well.

So the top 5 picks will go like this:

1st - Playoff winner
    2nd - Playoff finalist
    3rd - 30th team
    4th - 29th team
    5th - Regular season winner

I think this way, nobody can\'t say that we\'re not following the original rules as much as we can.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Chicleteur I like that way just a little bit better lol.
    League - YOUNG STARS DYNASTY LEAGUE
    12 teams

MY TEAM

Kovalchuk/Tavares/Zetterberg
    Michalek/ Thornton /Nash
    E.Cole/ Spezza/ Purcell

Suter/Jack Johnsson
    Del Zotto/ Hedmen

Miller / Hiller

Benched Players

Tanguay/Desharnis/Hemsky
    McDonald/Nyquist /Selanne

Gardiner/ Orlov

Dobber Sports Ninja

Thanks Chic,

I should have asked everyone for ideas regarding our next draft order. I really think sticking as close to the rules is the best way to go.

I will take it one step further than your top five picks and say that the draft order will run exactly as the rules state with teams 29 + 30 acting as the two \"new\" teams. The playoff finalists still draft 1 + 2. The rest of the teams are put in their respective tiers (in anticipation for next year) and will draft according to the already written rules. From the rules:

\"The two Playoff finalists will draft first (the winner) and second (runner-up) next season. The two new teams in the C league will draft third and fourth. Then it will be winner of the C league (regular season), followed by the winner of the B league and then the winner of the A league. The rest of the C league will then draft from best to worst record. Then the B league, best to worst and finally the A league, best to worst. Obviously the two playoff finalists will not get two picks; they effectively move up to 1st and 2nd overall.\"

Any concerns/comments/questions?
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Padawan

Format looks good to me Comish.

...if I might add, we are currently dating, and she is quite a handful in the bedroom...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

seems arbitrary to give top draft picks to the 21st and 11th team, just because they wound up in those spots. The intent of the rules was to reward the top teams, regardless of tier since they beat all their compitition. Not sure how to apply that to this year, but those are my comments. I would vote for the playoff teams being rewarded with the top picks, since the intent of the rule was to give the best picks to the best teams. I am also against giving the top picks to the 29th and 30th teams. they are not new teams, they are returning teams that may or may not have been attentive. Rewarding them for being terrible seems to go against the intent of the rules...
    Points Only Dynasty League - count top 6 F, top 4 D and top G

F: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Bergeron, R Smith, W Karlsson, Atkinson, Zuccarello, Radulov, Lee, Steel, Milano, Farabee, Batherson, Sprong, Heponiemi

D: Burns, Letang, Carlson ,Yandle, Green, M Matheson, Niko

G: Markstrom, Rinne, Samsonov

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don\'t disagree entirely with what you are saying pensfan.

While the 29th & 30th place teams this year don\'t \"deserve\" the 3rd & 4th overall picks, the fact is they have proven that they are indeed the two worst teams. If there were two \"new\" teams/owners coming in the league, their teams would be in exactly the same predicament, hence why I think they deserve a little slack heading into next year.

The reason I would arbitrarily break the overall standings into tiers for draft position is simply because once the regular season is over, these teams will effectively be placed in their tier heirarchy.

Also, the rules will be adhered to as closely as possible instead of having to make up \"new\" rules for this first year.

The intent of how the draft was supposed to work wasn\'t to reward the best teams with the best picks, it was meant to \"not reward\" teams for losing. We still have to give the lower tier teams a fair chance to get decent draft picks. That\'s why the C tier picks ahead of B and B picks ahead of A, except for the tier winners, who pick ahead of the rest of their tier.

I\'ll wait for more feedback and let everyone know once I\'ve made a decision on this. Thanks for everyone\'s replies to date.

Dobber Sports Star

Just a quick question, in the original rules for the draft is it serpentine so that the playoff winner picks last in rds. 2 and 4 or is it like the nhl draft is now?? you pick 1st at the start of each round??

I understand the purpose of the snake draft at the start of the year to set up our teams and give everyone as much of an equal chance as possible, however now since our league tries to emulate the NHL as much as possible shouldn\'t we switch to their format for the NHL entry draft in terms of teams picking in the same spot for each of the rounds?
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg

Dobber Sports Stud

pensfan wrote:
    seems arbitrary to give top draft picks to the 21st and 11th team, just because they wound up in those spots. The intent of the rules was to reward the top teams, regardless of tier since they beat all their compitition. Not sure how to apply that to this year, but those are my comments. I would vote for the playoff teams being rewarded with the top picks, since the intent of the rule was to give the best picks to the best teams. I am also against giving the top picks to the 29th and 30th teams. they are not new teams, they are returning teams that may or may not have been attentive. Rewarding them for being terrible seems to go against the intent of the rules...
    I tend to agree with this, rewarding the 11th and 21st place teams isn\'t what i picture the Tier winners being. Winning T2 or T3 next year could have you as the best team overall, but since you had a bad year before it you are down a Tier, what i thought this rule was meant for was to give the guys moving up a Tier a bit of a bonus for winning and moving up.

Giving the 11th and 21st guys the bonus pick will only help put them that much above the rest of the guys in those Tiers

Dobber Sports Ace

Ya, I agree with the opinion of the 11th and 21st picks. They didn\'t win their tiers, they could have been middle or near the end of their respective tiers, so really its just like a random luck of the draw sort of thing. I really like that idea going forward in future seasons, but I think I like the suggestion Chic put forward the best so far.
    12 team roto with 6 keepers, G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG, W SV% SHO
    C-Crosby Spezza Connolly
    L-Smyth Rolston Malone Sullivan
    R-Hemsky Ryan Ryder Backes Fleischmann Cleary
    D-Phaneuf Rafalski Whitney Pitkanen
    G-Lundqvist Bryzgalov Theodore Rinne

Dobber Sports Stud

its not as much of the random draw for 11 and 21 but the fact that they get a decent advantage ver the other guys in the newly assigned tiers, it is quite a bit different when you are talking about 2 new gms with last place teams, and 2 gms that are moving up a tier, compared to 2 gms that were already the best of the tier, getting that better pick

Dobber Sports Guru

The Comish wrote:
    I don\'t disagree entirely with what you are saying pensfan.

While the 29th & 30th place teams this year don\'t \"deserve\" the 3rd & 4th overall picks, the fact is they have proven that they are indeed the two worst teams. If there were two \"new\" teams/owners coming in the league, their teams would be in exactly the same predicament, hence why I think they deserve a little slack heading into next year.

The reason I would arbitrarily break the overall standings into tiers for draft position is simply because once the regular season is over, these teams will effectively be placed in their tier heirarchy.

Also, the rules will be adhered to as closely as possible instead of having to make up \"new\" rules for this first year.

The intent of how the draft was supposed to work wasn\'t to reward the best teams with the best picks, it was meant to \"not reward\" teams for losing. We still have to give the lower tier teams a fair chance to get decent draft picks. That\'s why the C tier picks ahead of B and B picks ahead of A, except for the tier winners, who pick ahead of the rest of their tier.

I\'ll wait for more feedback and let everyone know once I\'ve made a decision on this. Thanks for everyone\'s replies to date.
    Russ, I have a problem with the new way you\'re proposing.

I liked the way you put it out at the start of this post and in the email you sent. here\'s my reason:

i have tried really hard to move my way up from the basement this year. for my efforts, i\'ve been rewarded with working my way from the 30th and 29th up to 27th. in the first order you proposed, that would give me a 6th or 7th overall pick. in the new way, my efforts are rewarded with a 14-16 pick (or thereabouts).

now, had i known that i would get a 3-4 pick by just sitting quietly and sucking, and making my trades during the summer, thats what i would have done.

am i in a position where i pull what few crappy players i have from my lineup and try to suck my way down to 29th? because now it seems the alternative - to keep trying - negatively affects me. seems like the wrong message.

i know this is a tough call. there isn\'t really a perfect answer. i just think that we need to avoid giving one guy a top 5 pick while the guy right above him gets slotted 10 picks lower. same thing with the 10th, 11th, 20th, and 21st finishes.

i think there are two options to make it fair:

1. the way you proposed. 1-2 are the finalists. 3 can be the regular season winner (assuming not one of the finalists). then rest of the league worst to best.

2. just plain best to worst.