Thread: #1 Overall draft pick advice

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default #1 Overall draft pick advice

Hey all!

I have the #1 overall pick in our league this year. I also pick again at #17 and #22.

My keepers are Spezza, Radulov, and Lundqvist.

Available players to draft include Jagr, Zetterberg, Vanek, Datsyuk, Gagne, Lidstrom, Gonchar, Visnovsky, Nabokov, Miller, Vokoun, DiPietro

We play a H2H league (total points, not categories) with G (=1), A (=1), +/- (=0.5), GWG (=1), PIM (=0.25), PP-pts (=1), SHG (=2), Saves (=0.05), Wins (=1), Shutouts (=3).

My overall feeling is that Jagr is the most valuable, but having 2 top-tier goalies seems like a real advantage. Jagr will never make it to #17. There\'s lots of protected goalies, so I think top D-men will run quickly too.

Finally, whoever I draft will become a keeper at the end of this season as we increase to 4 keepers.

Thoughts or opinions??

Thanks in advance!
    --Jason

Post edited by: jason.furrer, at: 2007/09/25 14:29

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re:#1 Overall draft pick advice

My gut says go with either Jagr or Gonchar. If you need a minimum number of defencemen, he\'s a pretty good one to grab, especially in PPP and PiM and he is the most consistent scoring defencemen there is.

Jagr has had a season to recover from his shoulder surgery and will be even better this year.

Maybe take one of those goalies with the #17 or 22 pick, depending on how many are left at 17. Like Nabokov the best with your cats.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ace

I might go with Zetterberg or Vanek in terms of a keeper league...depending if you have a good shot of winning it this year. I like their long-term potential.
    8 Team Roto League (1-year)
    Cats: G A +/- PIMs PPP SHP SOG SH% HIT BLK GAA SV% SVS W SO
    F: Ovechkin, Stamkos, Giroux, Perry, Tavares, Eriksson, Benn, Jagr, Heatley, Alfredsson, Roy, Hanzal
    D: Phaneuf, Del Zotto, Kulikov, I. White, Goligoski, Niskanen
    G: M. Smith, Emery
    BN: C. Stewart, J. Staal, Read, Brouwer, Ward, Hedberg, Pavelec, Bachman
    IR: Letang, Giordano

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think Vanek is worth as much as Jagr for this year in your system and certainly a better keeper given the age difference.

Depending on who you kept as your 2 and what else is available in the league I might suggest the following list that combines a now and future point of view.

Vanek
    Nabakov
    Datsyuk
    Gagne
    Visnovsky
    Gonchar

sorry can\'t recommend Zetts - his back scares me.

Good luck in your draft