Thread: Points Only Keeper - Mueller / Ryan / Sterling

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Points Only Keeper - Mueller / Ryan / Sterling

Hi all,

I participate in a deep points-only pool. We draft 18 players and there are typically around 12 participants.

We have the opportunity to keep 2 players the following year IN THE ROUND THAT WE DRAFTED THEM THE YEAR PREVIOUS. So basically, I am looking to pick up a young player or two in the last rounds that will do decent this year (40+ points) but would be much more valuable the next year, especially as a late round pick (unfortunately you can only keep a player for one year in that spot).

I am assuming that Toews and Backstrom are going to be picked up in the middle rounds, so there will likely be a few of the following left (all of which I believe have essentially made their respective teams):

Mueller, Little, Ryan, Kane

How would you rank them?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re:Points Only Keeper - Mueller / Ryan / Sterling

I meant Sterling, not Little as you may have noticed from the subject line.

Thanks.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I\'m personally a Mueller fan. Probably Kane (a the moment) has a little more upside, but Mueller will get the chance to log a ton of minutes due to the depth, or lack thereof, on the Coyotes. Ryan has had a good pre-season, but I\'m not convinced of his ultimate upside. I know relatively less about Sterling, but everything I\'ve heard doesn\'t point to a ton of top line and PP minutes this season. So, I\'d rank them this way:

Mueller
    Kane
    Ryan
    Sterling

I don\'t think that Mueller or Kane will break 60 points this season - more like 50-ish each. Without having the benefit of seeing either play in the regular season yet, I would guess that each of them could put up 70-ish the following season.

Ryan I would guess at 40-ish this season, with a shot at 60 next season, assuming he sticks this season.

Sterling I\'ve got no clue on where he might be, even for this season, because I don\'t think he\'s a lock on the team yet. However, I don\'t think he\'s got the talent of the other 3 anyway.
    Full Keeper Team, straight points, no PIMs:
    C Under construction
    LW Under construction
    RW Under construction
    D Under construction
    G Under construction
    Farm Under construction

Dobber Sports Stud

Yeah, you\'re confirming my thoughts. With Ryan and Sterling it is difficult to know whether they will get their opportunities, even assuming that they make the team. All it takes is Selanne being back and Ryan gets bumped. Sterling won\'t be getting any 1st PP time.

Mueller looks to be guaranteed some decent ice-time and probably even 1st PP time.

And Kane is difficult because Chicago could actually score some goals this year but who knows where he ends up in the depth chart.

Dobber Sports Ace

Kane
    Mueller
    Ryan
    Sterling