Thread: When will Varlamov be NHL starting goalie?

Banned

Default When will Varlamov be NHL starting goalie?

anyone have a suggestion for me?

reason i am asking is I got a spot open on my roster, and current NHL-ers are not worth my add drop, so I am planning to pick up a nice prospect that preferably plays next year (and I would understand that it won\'t come with solid numbers. But at least I can pick them up for free now)

Looks to me that johnson and theodore aren\'t going to be the goalies in washington for very long. How long before this kid is ready to take the caps starting job over?

thanks guys, I dont know much about any prospect so I could use some help

Dutch

The Great One

Hey Dutch- Im in the same boat. I just read (and actually made a post on here)- that the hot media buzz in MTL during the all star break was that Varlamov could be a starter by the end of this year. I personally think its a stretch, but thats what they were saying. I think at least 30ish starts by next year is reasonable- aka a backup who gets a lot of action, but the potential to steal the number one job is there. The caps want him as sign by the short term of theos contract, and hes proving hes got the goods by his ahl and few nhl showings. Its in his court...

Banned

thanks for the info emu, i\'ll up you 1

With that being said tho, would you prefer to take rask or would you prefer to have varlamov in your system?

I would like to add 1 of these 2, so I have price, rinne, bryzgalov and 1 of these 2 for my goalies. That should do the trick for a couple of seasons for me I think.

Just not sure which one would be better solution.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

He could be up as early as next year... and He will be good... Neuvirth has been playing pretty good as of late too... they should form a very nice tandem in the coming years - I just picked them both up in a trade
    H2H Keeper League, 16 teams, finished 2nd

Crosby, Gagner, Connolly, Moller, Couture
    Hemsky, Okposo, Stafford, Radulov
    Filatov, Raymond, Macarthur, S Kostitsyn, Tlusty, A Kostitsyn
    Seabrook, Franson, Carle, Letang, Yandle
    Garon, Rolo, JDD, Anderson
    Farm:
    JvR,Soderberg, Backlund, Helenius, Neuvirth, Varlamov, Dubnyk, J Boychuk, Shattenkirk

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would think, if he continues his cuurent pace, varlamov will the full time starter for the 2010/2011 season.
    he may secure the gig mid way or towards the end of next season, but i think theo will be the man until \'10/\'11.

The Great One

Tough call. In my league another owner made the decison for me when he picked up Rask after his SO. Im not sure. Looking at your system I might be inclined to take Varlamov. My thinking is that while Rask will be in a better defensive system and probably still win his share of games- he still has some obstacles. I personally feel like Thomas will be re-signed and insiders are saying anything less than a 3 year term would be a slap in the face. That being said I think they will start easing Rask in by next year and its impossible to predict how that will pan out. On the other end of the spectrum all parties involved want Varlamov in as fast as is possible. Its also hard not to get excited about the caps future. You have to think any 1a will pile up the wins there- which is all that matters in your scoring for the most part.

I think its a coin toss- but if you put a gun to my head Im taking Varlamov in your league...

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Pretty close decision here I think. I honestly believe it might boil down to which team goes deepest into the playoffs this season on the backs of their present goaltending - if one falters early then the prospect I would want is theirs.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yea... Boston is great this year... but they don\'t have the talent pool that the caps are pulling from. to be good for consecutive years...
    H2H Keeper League, 16 teams, finished 2nd

Crosby, Gagner, Connolly, Moller, Couture
    Hemsky, Okposo, Stafford, Radulov
    Filatov, Raymond, Macarthur, S Kostitsyn, Tlusty, A Kostitsyn
    Seabrook, Franson, Carle, Letang, Yandle
    Garon, Rolo, JDD, Anderson
    Farm:
    JvR,Soderberg, Backlund, Helenius, Neuvirth, Varlamov, Dubnyk, J Boychuk, Shattenkirk

Banned

so in respect to possible starts next year what are we looking at you guys think?

rask maybe 30 or so, or is going to be starting 50 or 60

and varlamov 20 - 25, or if starting about 50/50 split?

Dobber Sports Initiate

A certain expert we all know and trust predicts Varlamov supplants Theodore next season and wins 30 games........

I know I picked him up.

Only Theodore is signed next season, for one year, and Johnson is UFA

Both Boston goalies are UFA and I can\'t see tham keeping both, so I\'d say both Varlamov and Rask are back-ups to start next season, and I\'d give Varlamov more starts.
    Mooseheads: 14 team H2H (CBS)
    +/-,G,A,DG,DA,PIM,PPP,GWG,GAA,SPct,W,
    Dress 8F,4D,2Gweekly,roster22,3Gmax
    F:Benn,Tavares,Backstrom,Galchenyuk,O'Reilly,Kuche rov,E.Kane,Radulov,N.Foligno,T.Ennis,Lee,Hartman,T ,Johnson
    D:Weber,Burns,Werenski,Vlasic,Theodore,Severson
    G:Bishop,Fleury,Mrazek

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Dutch wrote:
    so in respect to possible starts next year what are we looking at you guys think?

rask maybe 30 or so, or is going to be starting 50 or 60

and varlamov 20 - 25, or if starting about 50/50 split?
    I would think Rask 30-40% of the starts with thomas re-signing (prediction 2 year contract; 3-4 years if he gives Bos a discount).

While Varlamov receiving 35-45% in Theodore\'s last season, leaning to 60% if Theodore does what he has for the last 2 seasons and have a slow start. If that happens and Varlamov capitalizes on that with solid play, I could see him getting the lion\'s share of the starts.

I...am your father.

Dutch wrote:

reason i am asking is I got a spot open on my roster, and current NHL-ers are not worth my add drop, so I am planning to pick up a nice prospect that preferably plays next year (and I would understand that it won\'t come with solid numbers. But at least I can pick them up for free now)

Looks to me that johnson and theodore aren\'t going to be the goalies in washington for very long. How long before this kid is ready to take the caps starting job over?

Dutch

Looks like somebody didn\'t listen to the latest Dobber Nation episode

I gave my full thoughts on Varlamov, including - with full certainty - when I think he will be a starter.

Pays to listen - I make it a point to put something in there that I won\'t put anywhere else.
    B)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Initiate

Dobber wrote:
    Dutch wrote:

Dutch

I gave my full thoughts on Varlamov, including - with full certainty - when I think he will be a starter.

Pays to listen - I make it a point to put something in there that I won\'t put anywhere else.
    B)
    see - that\'s what I\'m talking about.
    Mooseheads: 14 team H2H (CBS)
    +/-,G,A,DG,DA,PIM,PPP,GWG,GAA,SPct,W,
    Dress 8F,4D,2Gweekly,roster22,3Gmax
    F:Benn,Tavares,Backstrom,Galchenyuk,O'Reilly,Kuche rov,E.Kane,Radulov,N.Foligno,T.Ennis,Lee,Hartman,T ,Johnson
    D:Weber,Burns,Werenski,Vlasic,Theodore,Severson
    G:Bishop,Fleury,Mrazek

Banned

Dobber wrote:

In fact I did listen to it, but I don\'t recall any of it lol. My gf always says that I don\'t listen very well so maybe that could be the reason I\'ll give it another shot and pay more attention to detail this time

I do appreciate all the input here tho, even for people that don\'t listen very well