Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Top Prospects- Real Chance to show off!

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Top Prospects- Real Chance to show off!

sentium wrote:
    Here\'s a guy who\'s a rookie this year:

This hardworking winger is starting to develop into XXXXXX’s next big agitator. He has moved up in fantasy status over the past year because he was the first player recalled by the XXXXXX and as one of the youngest AHL players he still managed a decent 24 points on a defensive team. His work ethic and above-average shot will almost certainly see him in the NHL in about two years. Get ready for your next 50-point, 150-penalty-minute man. The only thing that will keep him off the NHL roster this season is the presence of XXXXXX. Otherwise, he would probably be there.

Upside: Sean Avery, minus the antics (30-30-60+, 150+ PIM)
    Certainty (NHLer; Upside): 90%; 45%
    Yeah, I scrambled his identity, but it gives you an idea of how it looks. This is approximately the size of every profile, including the certainties and upside, for 7-12 guys for all teams, plus draft profiles for the new kids.

Wait a second... Who is he? why don\'t you just tell me his name, that would help me a great deal.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I just figured it would be okay to post it without the big man\'s explicit say so if I scrambled the player and team. This way, you get an idea of how the prospects guide is structured.

You get the top 10 or so prospects for each team, their overall prospect rank (according to Dobber and Bugg) and their rank last year, if there was any.

The goalies are also there and both guys\' top 40 prospects lists, plus the preparation for the 08 draft (it was published before the draft) with profiles on a whole bunch of players and how each team is likely to draft. The 08 guide was a big step up from the 07 guide and I\'m guessing we\'ll see a big upgrade with the 09 guide this summer too.

I really can\'t stop pimping that guide enough. It is simply amazing.

Edit: Basically, combine this guide with everything available at www.hockeysfuture.com and you\'re set for years in advance.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Pro

I\'m sure it is, to be honest with you, I am Obsessive Compulsive by nature and cannot buy anything online. never have, never will. call me old fashioned, i know it sounds ridiculous but it is the truth. a disorder is a disorder. anyways... that does sound great.. and i\'m really intrigued as to who that player is, could you please enlighten me?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Okay, okay. A Minny player with a funny name

Too bad about that disorder. Try emailing Dobber to see if you can work out payment in way that works for you. It\'ll be worth it The 08 prospects guide was the first one I bought on this site and two days later I bought the 07 prospects guide just to get a bigger perspective. I was just blown away.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Pro

He\'s a good player! Too bad hes taken...
    I really do like the way the report is laid out though. I get all of my prospect information from hockeysfuture.com and this seems a lot more accurate.

Dobber Sports Guru

yeah, the problem with hockeysfuture is that they have different people writing up the reports for each team... so the consistency isn\'t there. plus, they don\'t have a fantasy slant... so you might get your pants pulled down drafting Karl Alzner, Marc Staal, and Luke Schenn to your team based on their rating system.

since last year, i use two sources: the dobber prospect guide written exclusively by dobber and bugg, and the mckeen\'s fantasy hockey magazine that comes out in september. its the most informative newstand product that you can get with regards to scouting NHL players and prospects.

edit: one thing about mckeen\'s... the scouting info is awesome, but unlike dobber and bugg they don\'t go out on a limb and give you actual numbers for upside... just a 4 star rating system that allows for a lot of mystery.

Dobber Sports Guru

regarding the two guys you asked about:

Joe Colborne - tall forward who can play wing or center. questions about his compete level, the fact that he was playing in a junior A league in alberta, and the irrelevant nonsense that he has a rich father made him a bit of a question mark in many people\'s eyes. he\'s a good skater for a big guy, but he doesn\'t use his size to physically dominate guys yet.... maybe because he was a late grower (he was something like 5\'8 or 5\'10 as a 16 year old... and 6\'5 now). good playmaker who might want to work on shooting more, from what i gather.

he\'s in his first year at denver university, doing pretty well (almost a ppg after a really quiet first 7 or 8 games). he will likely spend at least 3 years in college, as he has a lot of filling out to do and the bruins are extremely deep currently. his upside ranges from the unlikely (joe thornton) to that of a blake wheeler type with better passing skills.

Mattias Tedenby - at the opposite end of the size scale, he is really tiny. he\'s almost like a swedish brian gionta. he is so quick and fast that it can be tough for dmen to contain him, but he will need to add a lot of strength before going up against NHL dmen. great stickhandler who knows the value of throwing the puck at the net. his scoring stats won\'t impress anybody right now, but the fact that he\'s played 20+ games in the SEL against adults is a good sign. new jersey brings their euro guys along very slowly, so i would b surprised if he came over to NA next year. my bet is one more year (at least) of the SEL, followed by a full season in the AHL.